Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help with my Charter Oak evaluation
Hey all,
I have attached a copy of my evaluation at Charter Oak and was wondering if someone can give me a hand or point me into the right direction.  I chose an Individualized Degree Plan with a concentration in Crim Justice and Public Safety.  I was hoping that my past credits from the Police Academy and Fire academies would have filled in more blanks then they did.  Boy, was I wrong.  I need to take many more classes than I suspected and most of them I cannot test out of.  I was hoping if anyone had an suggestions on the fastest Bachelors degree I should take based on my current credits.  I currently need a Bachelors in anything and I would like to test out of as much as possible to speed up the process. Any chance I could finish by year end if I chose another degree?

Thanks all for your help in advance,
Mike Big Grin

Attached Files
.pdf   charter oak evaluation.pdf (Size: 1.58 MB / Downloads: 77)
(02-10-2018, 02:57 PM)mdel210201 Wrote: Hey all,
I have attached a copy of my evaluation at Charter Oak and was wondering if someone can give me a hand or point me into the right direction.  I chose an Individualized Degree Plan with a concentration in Crim Justice and Public Safety.  I was hoping that my past credits from the Police Academy and Fire academies would have filled in more blanks then they did.  Boy, was I wrong.  I need to take many more classes than I suspected and most of them I cannot test out of.  I was hoping if anyone had an suggestions on the fastest Bachelors degree I should take based on my current credits.  I currently need a Bachelors in anything and I would like to test out of as much as possible to speed up the process. Any chance I could finish by year end if I chose another degree?

Thanks all for your help in advance,
Mike Big Grin

Have you applied to the other two Big 3?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Generally, I think the business degree is the easiest to test out of at COSC. You'd need to finish up the gen. ed. and then take all of the business major requirements. I could help you with a plan if this is what you decided on. If you worked very hard you could finish by year end, God willing.

But you may want to consider first if your credits would apply at another school in a more advantageous way.

Good luck!
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
I applied in early January and am still waiting for my eval. How long after submitting your transcripts did it take for you to hear back?

Side note: I was interested in their Criminal Justice program as well. Any info you can share is much appreciated.
Excelsior or TESU will probably give you more credits Smile

(02-10-2018, 06:10 PM)topdog98 Wrote: Generally, I think the business degree is the easiest to test out of at COSC. You'd need to finish up the gen. ed. and then take all of the business major requirements. I could help you with a plan if this is what you decided on. If you worked very hard you could finish by year end, God willing.

But you may want to consider first if your credits would apply at another school in a more advantageous way.

Good luck!

If you can guide me for what you think I need for COSC that would be great. The only issue I have with applying to the other big 3 was that I have so many FEMA classes already.

(02-10-2018, 08:40 PM)Ideas Wrote: Excelsior or TESU will probably give you more credits Smile

Yea, but I wanted to use all those FEMAs I had already? That was my only concern with applying to the other schools.

(02-10-2018, 08:14 PM)fingerscrossedx2 Wrote: I applied in early January and am still waiting for my eval. How long after submitting your transcripts did it take for you to hear back?

Side note: I was interested in their Criminal Justice program as well. Any info you can share is much appreciated.

They took much longer then I thought. Roughly 8 - 10 weeks but I did have a lot of transcripts for them to review.
COSC have you nothing in the 36 SH concentration in Crim Justice and Public Safety.  You need to talk to your COSC advisor.  FEMA credits can't overcome COSC being so concentration in Crim Justice and Public Safety unfriendly?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(02-13-2018, 10:11 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: COSC have you nothing in the 36 SH concentration in Crim Justice and Public Safety.  You need to talk to your COSC advisor.  FEMA credits can't overcome COSC being so concentration in Crim Justice and Public Safety unfriendly?
Yes, I see that now. I just need a degree in anything so I don't care what it is in lol. At the time I just thought Crim Justice and Public Safety would of been smart. I was wrong hahaha
Don't let the FEMA credits be the only deciding factor. It may be faster or cheaper to do it at TESU because FEMA credits cost money to get transferred and COSC requires more UL courses. Best to work up a plan for each, then compare them according to your needs.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(02-13-2018, 10:52 AM)davewill Wrote: Don't let the FEMA credits be the only deciding factor. It may be faster or cheaper to do it at TESU because FEMA credits cost money to get transferred and COSC requires more UL courses. Best to work up a plan for each, then compare them according to your needs.

My femas have actually been converted already many years ago. I guess I will look into all options then. Thanks a bunch

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New TESU evaluation and Shmoop equivalencies badooble 42 14,560 09-13-2018, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,684 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,079 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,618 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Charter Oak struggles as well, not just Excelsior Lewis.Yim 24 4,730 06-18-2018, 11:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Course plan for BS in Psychology from Charter Oak ryanaryn 15 3,463 06-10-2018, 11:55 AM
  TESU BALS Evaluation updated with AA completion? triforce828 10 2,525 06-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Last Post: MSK9
Thumbs Up Charter Oak apply for free through 01/05/18 allvia 4 2,659 06-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU: Same Course - Different Evaluation Excellente 9 1,823 05-31-2018, 05:07 PM
  Does Excelsior College/Charter Oak accept TECEP vetvso 1 1,644 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning