Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chinese
Can anyone think of a college that offers Chinese via distance learning? I know BYU offers a Chinese Lit Indy course- but I'm looking more for a course that would count as a straight foreign language class.

Thanks!!
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Applied Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit
Cookderosa & Dfrecore's Degree Planning Masterclass
Rio Salado offers a few (if this link doesn't work, just search by subject on their course schedule): http://www.riosalado.edu/Schedule/pages/...=&building=

I'll add that I took Japanese through them a while back, and while the classes are pretty independent, there is a teacher to always ask questions of and a lot of good materials. But the class is challenging! If Chinese is similar (and I suspect it is), learning the Kanji adds a new facet to learning that you don't get in many languages. My class consisted of some quizzes, a few times when you had to do some original writing, responding to questions orally (they have a way to record yourself as you answer built into the classroom), and at the end had to write a couple paragraphs about myself and deliver the information orally (again, recorded).
[-] The following 2 users Like tifferbugz's post:
  • cookderosa, Ideas
Oregon State University offers a bunch of different (not the usual) foreign languages, although they are a pricey $297/cr x 4cr. Not sure if they are quarter credits either.

I think Udemy offered some as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
(10-27-2018, 11:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Oregon State University offers a bunch of different (not the usual) foreign languages, although they are a pricey $297/cr x 4cr. Not sure if they are quarter credits either.

I think Udemy offered some as well.

thank you - I have a good list on udemy, but this is one of the subjects I just don't have a good resource list for. Every once in a blue moon a parent asks me about AP Chinese (which udemy is great for) but there aren't many alternatives!! Many states have high school foreign language requirements, so this comes up - and it came up again last week. I really appreciate your suggestions though, I'll check them out.
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Applied Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit
Cookderosa & Dfrecore's Degree Planning Masterclass
College of San Mateo offers online Chinese courses. Email the professor if you would like to obtain a prereq waiver (if you have previous experience with Chinese, you may be able to skip a lower level class or two). 

http://collegeofsanmateo.edu/chinese/
[-] The following 3 users Like peacel's post:
  • cookderosa, nflight, TacticalTechie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Chinese Literature in Translation-Poetry" at BYU-IS still available pws 2 160 12-04-2019, 05:07 AM
Last Post: pws