Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clarify AOS overlap between two BSBA majors
Quote:TESU policy states:
https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/en/curre...es-policy/
No credit for the first area of study may be used toward the second area of study.

Thanks to my many RA transfer credits, I have only to complete Gen Ed and Business Core courses to graduate with BSBA-OM. However, I need the BSBA-CIS, which means I need to complete another 18-21 credits of course work (specifically the entire AOS), in addition to the overlapping Gen Ed and Business Core courses between the two majors (AOS).

Am I correct in understanding that as long as only the 18-credits of AOS don't overlap between CIS and OM (which they don't at all, per syllabus), I'll be able to graduate with BSBA-OM and -CIS on my degree? When applying to graduate, do I just specify that I declare two areas of study? I'm presently enrolled in BSBA-CIS, as this is the degree I actually require.

Afterwards I may do a Certificate in Finance just for fun. If that's not enough, I might try for a Master's in the coming years, maybe from a different university.
In order to graduate with another degree, and a certificate, you need to have them added to your degree plan. Since the AOS don't overlap at all, there should be no problems at all with getting both the CIS and OM.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jazzcat
@jazzcat, in regards to the Cert in Finance, you can get that practically free at TESU as they offer the cert.  You just need to complete the 18 credits for the cert and apply for graduation, these can all be ACE/NCCRS credits from Study.com, Davar, or another provider...

For the BSBA, you actually only have one major, and that's Business Administration, you can get two AOS within that major though.  As mentioned, you shouldn't come across any issues as those two AOS do not have overlapping credits.

Last but not least, have you decided on TESU and not WGU or UMPI as you were looking at those other institutions as well.  Did you add any credits to your portfolio since your previous post of about a year ago?  Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid360128
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • jazzcat
The CIS and OM AoS courses don't overlap at all.

You only need 18cr in any of the BSBA AoS's, not 21.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-18-2023, 01:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The CIS and OM AoS courses don't overlap at all.

You only need 18cr in any of the BSBA AoS's, not 21.

Thank you, yes AOS is only 18 cr., I think I'm missing some other course specific to CIS that's why I was saying 18-21 credits in my mind. But yes, AOS is only 18 cr.

(03-18-2023, 12:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @jazzcat, in regards to the Cert in Finance, you can get that practically free at TESU as they offer the cert.  You just need to complete the 18 credits for the cert and apply for graduation, these can all be ACE/NCCRS credits from Study.com, Davar, or another provider...

For the BSBA, you actually only have one major, and that's Business Administration, you can get two AOS within that major though.  As mentioned, you shouldn't come across any issues as those two AOS do not have overlapping credits.

Last but not least, have you decided on TESU and not WGU or UMPI as you were looking at those other institutions as well.  Did you add any credits to your portfolio since your previous post of about a year ago?  Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid360128

Thanks BJ, yes I'm mixing terminology between AOS and major. Will get that into my head. And thanks for clarifying the Finance cert, will certainly look at taking alt credits and transferring in.

TESU is my best option for graduating for a reasonable price with a title I need. The dual AOS is a bonus, as I've already filled all the requisites for OM. Yes, I've gathered a some more credits since last year. But even with that, the decision is largely based on the maximum amount of credits TESU is offering to accept from my previous college experience with a degree titled that will be most useful in my use case. UMPI was a good alternative BABA title, but WGU leaves me with 70+ credits outstanding, while TESU grants BSBA and 35 credits outstanding for BSBA-OM (only Gen Ed and Bus Core, which I'll need to do for CIS anyways) and around 18 cr more for CIS second AOS.

The major bummer with TESU is they won't accept transfer credits for courses with C- grade or lower, so I've lost potential to use about 2-5 courses in applicable transfer credit, but they've been generous enough with other course equivalencies that I'll just suffer through and do accounting over and whatever else needs to be done. Smile who knows, it might be easier and more fun this time around.
After clicking around some more in the TESU student portal, it seems I can also graduate from the AAS Military Tech Leadership with SOS-101 and capstone, so I think I'll do it---why not?! Probably useless, but it sounds cool.
jazzcat Wrote:After clicking around some more in the TESU student portal, it seems I can also graduate from the AAS Military Tech Leadership with SOS-101 and capstone, so I think I'll do it---why not?! Probably useless, but it sounds cool.

Did you ask about adding the degree?  Just wondering are you active military or a vet?
I would check with TESU to find out if you can take the degree and also review other AAS options.

AAS programs available at TESU - https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/aas
**available only to current military personnel and veterans

Link: https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/aas/mi...leadership
* This option is only available to military personnel.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-19-2023, 12:29 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: **available only to current military personnel and veterans

Bah. I got too excited and didn't read the fine print. Thanks for pointing that out. Smile

In any case, having all the AOS courses done for BSBA-OM is a pleasant surprise, as TESU isn't as generous in assigning credits compared to UMPI. However, with some probing, TESU did assign some more credits to me from transfers. I only have to do Gen Ed and Business Core, as well as four CIS AOS courses, around 42 credits total for two AOS to graduate (the cores overlap, but CIS needs me to do a dozen AOS credits). Makes me a happy camper. Will consider how I approach the Finance cert, since it makes sense to graduate with it all at once and not pay residency or do 50% of the courses post graduation from the degree program. However, that requires me to do an additional 9-12 credits (still waiting on an answer there). Maybe I'll skip it altogether, it's not a requisite, just a point of interest. Going to UMPI would save me a little money but I'd still be doing about as much course work. But Bachelor of Science and "computer" and "management" are the keywords I need on paper and TESU offers that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,757 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  TESU BSBA - General Management Cire 5 774 12-01-2023, 01:16 PM
Last Post: etirflita
  BSBA/BS-CIS? Jwheels27 14 1,300 10-23-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Is CIS still a BSBA or it´s now a different degree? MrPanda 28 2,363 10-21-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA Accounting 2nd Degree at TESU. mog538 10 1,144 10-06-2023, 10:05 PM
  Managerial Accounting for TESU BSBA Entrepreneurship schlocker 3 501 09-21-2023, 03:35 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  BACS/BSBA CIS - Transferring Credits MortySanchez 12 1,312 09-08-2023, 10:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci trying2grad 10 724 08-20-2023, 12:50 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BACS & Dual BSBA CIS + Finance max transfer credits. CanICode 18 1,010 08-04-2023, 06:22 AM
  BSBA Operations Management AOS dillpickles 48 2,919 07-17-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: dillpickles