Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Algebra survey
Hi everyone,

For those of you who haven't already heard, Matymus (Matt) and his wife are expecting their first child any day now. Smile

Matt has been studying for the CLEP College Algebra exam. Today Matt told me that he is planning to take the exam during his "week off" after the baby comes! Being a mother myself, I laughed and told him he'd better plan on taking that exam BEFORE the baby comes, because for the first week afterwards his wife will want him home 24/7 (my opinion anyway). After reading Matt's reply to this, I told him I was going to post it in the forum, and I meant it! Matt's reply...

"Also...for the record, regarding Algebra....it was Christa who suggested me taking it during my week off. I said to her, "Darling dearie poo, are you SURE you're willing to let me go for a few hours so I can get this exam done?" She said......"Absolutely, my dear dew drop." So...there you have it.........HER IDEA. Not mine. Any blame for whatever may go wrong canNOT be placed upon me. I am absolved." Big Grin

So my question to all of you (especially parents and/or those of you who have taken that exam): Do you think Matt should take his CLEP College Algebra exam NOW...or wait until after the baby is born??

(Any stories from your own experiences as a first-time parent are welcomed. We need to let Matt know what he has to look forward to! :eekSmile.

JoAnne Smile
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
hilarious hilarious hilarious

I think that it would be quite the feat to pull off a test the week after a new baby! Between not sleeping, learning how to live with a new little person about the house and the sheer excitement of the whole thing.....wow. If he takes it my hat is totally off to him!!

PS Congratulations!!!
~Autumn

Master of Arts - Emergency and Disaster Management - Estimated Completion 2014
Bachelor of Science Human Services in Emergency Disaster Services - TESC- December 2009
Culinary Arts Certificate - Boise State University 2002

Education teaches a man to spell experience.Big Grin
I think annegirl hit the nail on the head, especially the lack of sleep part. It doesn't matter if you aren't the one that has to get up 3 times a night, your sleep is still interrupted. The first week is quite an adjustment for EVERYONE! I say take the test before and then count your blessings every minute after the baby is born that you took your test the week before! And a big Congratulations to you and your wife!
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
I'll keep all that in mind, folks. Thanks for the feedback. hilarious Gotta love JoAnne's sense of humor. Thanks, JoAnne, you're the best!! We'll see what happens, eh??
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy
Having a baby (we have had 4!) isn't time "off" in any sense of the word LOL. You realize you are ADDING to your responsibility right?

Now, there is the other side of the coin, which is that you won't understand just yet- but that you quite possibly won't be able to leave the captive presence of your little one, as it blows your mind that your bundle of cells and your wife's bundle of cells made This. You will want to soak up every moment.

Assuming your wife has a normal uncomplicated birth, you might get to slip away. If she has a c-section or your child is in the NICU, all bets are off. She won't be able to climb stairs or even drive for a few weeks.

Since you value your wife, and wouldn't dare leave her side as she figures out how to breastfeed and needs you to hold the baby so she can shower, grows frustrated with every possible thing that she realizes she doesn't know how to do (which will only be clouded by the fact that everyone around her will give her conflicting advise) and asks you to order "take out" and can't figure out where the Hollywood notion of newborns came from, and you'll need to run to the store because she needs pads and maybe just one can of formula...and what about that little noise the baby made- should you call the doctor? I am pretty sure the baby isn't getting enough milk, and why is the bellybutton like this? Is cramping normal? What about my bleeding? And what about his foreskin? :eek: I'm sorry honey, you would like to do what? Study for a CLEP exam? Isn't that nice that you get to take a STUDY VACATION and go to a CLEP EXAM party for 3 HOURS! Have a NICE time!

Ummmm....

As a happily married woman (to an A+ husband and father), I'll gently suggest you putting algebra right where it goes- the bottom of the list. (for now)
cookderosa Wrote:Having a baby (we have had 4!) isn't time "off" in any sense of the word LOL. You realize you are ADDING to your responsibility right?

Now, there is the other side of the coin, which is that you won't understand just yet- but that you quite possibly won't be able to leave the captive presence of your little one, as it blows your mind that your bundle of cells and your wife's bundle of cells made This. You will want to soak up every moment.

Assuming your wife has a normal uncomplicated birth, you might get to slip away. If she has a c-section or your child is in the NICU, all bets are off. She won't be able to climb stairs or even drive for a few weeks.

Since you value your wife, and wouldn't dare leave her side as she figures out how to breastfeed and needs you to hold the baby so she can shower, grows frustrated with every possible thing that she realizes she doesn't know how to do (which will only be clouded by the fact that everyone around her will give her conflicting advise) and asks you to order "take out" and can't figure out where the Hollywood notion of newborns came from, and you'll need to run to the store because she needs pads and maybe just one can of formula...and what about that little noise the baby made- should you call the doctor? I am pretty sure the baby isn't getting enough milk, and why is the bellybutton like this? Is cramping normal? What about my bleeding? And what about his foreskin? :eek: I'm sorry honey, you would like to do what? Study for a CLEP exam? Isn't that nice that you get to take a STUDY VACATION and go to a CLEP EXAM party for 3 HOURS! Have a NICE time!

Ummmm....

As a happily married woman (to an A+ husband and father), I'll gently suggest you putting algebra right where it goes- the bottom of the list. (for now)

This one had me laughing PRETTY hard, actually. Thanks for the laugh!!
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,306 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 688 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 910 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,482 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 526 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 888 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,784 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 708 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,095 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  College Tour Alpha 0 570 12-16-2021, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Alpha