Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College-Math Recommended (6) Credits
Hello,

Does anyone know of a school, which will grant 6 credits for the college mathematics CLEP examination?

Unfortunately, my school (local community college) only provides 3 credits for this test. I was very excited, thinking this relatively easy exam earned me 6 credits, but alas I was wrong. Do most schools "go against" college-board's recommended credits award on this test, granting only 3 credits?

I mean, i guess it makes sense. I was just hoping to squeeze 3 more credits out of it.
Any Florida public school will grant three credits for a pass of 50, another three if you score 62 or higher.

I think Charter Oak gives 6 for just a pass no?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:Any Florida public school will grant three credits for a pass of 50, another three if you score 62 or higher.

I think Charter Oak gives 6 for just a pass no?

Not sure, I just know that I got a 63 on the test and my school, unfortunately, only grants 3 credits for passing it. I know the college-board recommends 6 credit hours, which is why I was somewhat annoyed at the school.
Ratfus Wrote:Not sure, I just know that I got a 63 on the test and my school, unfortunately, only grants 3 credits for passing it. I know the college-board recommends 6 credit hours, which is why I was somewhat annoyed at the school.

It's annoying, but big picture- it's only 3 credits. I wouldn't change colleges for 3 credits, however, I'd spend some serious time this weekend looking ahead and seeing if this is going to be a problem as you go forward. You'll want to know how their CLEP policy applies to the degree you're considering sooner rather than later.
Many schools go against the recommendations - either giving more credits for things, or fewer.

The good thing, though, is that most schools post what they will give for any CLEP and/or DSST (and AP/IB) exams on their websites. So you should always check first before taking any exams, to make sure you're not wasting your time.

Since you got 3cr out of the deal, obviously it's not wasting time. But, it was a disappointment, I'm sure.

Check the website and see what they say in advance!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Many schools go against the recommendations - either giving more credits for things, or fewer.

The good thing, though, is that most schools post what they will give for any CLEP and/or DSST (and AP/IB) exams on their websites. So you should always check first before taking any exams, to make sure you're not wasting your time.

Since you got 3cr out of the deal, obviously it's not wasting time. But, it was a disappointment, I'm sure.

Check the website and see what they say in advance!

I mean, can't I just take the scores and send them to another institution, which offers 6 credits?

I'm merely using the credits for my CPA license because I already have a bachelor's degree and passed the exam. I'm getting credits from 4 different schools already.

Not sure how my state board will handle the credits, but, despite calling the board numerous times, they refused to provide me any help. They merely give a "we can not offer any advice or evaluate classes/transcripts; check our website and your school." Unfortunately, their website is vague/unclear and my schools aren't sure on the requirements either, which puts me in an uncertain position. My accounting state board is such a mess because they laid people off and consolidated departments. Now people issuing a fishing/hunting/boating license are also involved with issuing the CPA (most states have a separate body, who issues the CPA).

In retro-spec, I should have just paid the 50k to go to grad-school; then, I would have a much higher paying job (most decent accounting jobs require the 150 credit hours) and I wouldn't be dealing with this headache (dealing with determining which classes to take that is).
Ratfus Wrote:I mean, can't I just take the scores and send them to another institution, which offers 6 credits?

I'm merely using the credits for my CPA license because I already have a bachelor's degree and passed the exam. I'm getting credits from 4 different schools already.

Not sure how my state board will handle the credits, but, despite calling the board numerous times, they refused to provide me any help. They merely give a "we can not offer any advice or evaluate classes/transcripts; check our website and your school." Unfortunately, their website is vague/unclear and my schools aren't sure on the requirements either, which puts me in an uncertain position. My accounting state board is such a mess because they laid people off and consolidated departments. Now people issuing a fishing/hunting/boating license are also involved with issuing the CPA (most states have a separate body, who issues the CPA).

In retro-spec, I should have just paid the 50k to go to grad-school; then, I would have a much higher paying job (most decent accounting jobs require the 150 credit hours) and I wouldn't be dealing with this headache (dealing with determining which classes to take that is).

If all you're trying to do is get a certain number of credits on a transcript, then certainly you should bring them to the school that will give you the most credit...or one that will make life the easiest...or the one that's the cheapest...or whatever you want.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU UL for dual enrollment credits IReallyNeedADegree 15 1,388 07-14-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Math textbook author made $26 million cardiacclep 10 1,070 02-23-2023, 05:09 AM
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,316 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 691 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 919 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  anybody ever been a math teacher ? bluebooger 2 581 08-30-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,500 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  Spanish or Vanish... Duolingo coming to Math! ashkir 3 1,156 08-05-2022, 08:26 PM
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 530 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 893 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle