Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College dropout rates
I was reading the statistics over the amount of graduated students in the USA and the average is very low.
They usually dropped out starting the sophomore year Huh

https://educationdata.org/college-dropout-rates

I think one of the big dilemma is that colleges and universities are very expensive in the USA compare to other countries.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
It's not just the expense. Some people don't like how long and slow semesters are. Add in 30, 60, 90 credits of general education which many people have no interest in and are stuck paying for. Lots of people also have struggles with their families and a variety of health issues. Also if a woman gets pregnant during college it's really difficult to have a baby (or whatever options they choose) and continue their classes. Most 18 year olds aren't mature enough to take college and the finances seriously because their brains have about 5-7 more years to fully develop. Most Americans have no idea what education costs in other countries. Many things in the US are expensive and we're just used to it because that's how it has always been.
The cost of paying for living expenses becomes a factor.

A lot of students have to work jobs to pay for living expenses.

That job comes at the cost of reducing the available time for studying, which affects grades.

Also, it becomes a drag to work and go to school for an extended period of time.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • ss20ts
(05-01-2022, 01:07 PM)LevelUP Wrote: The cost of paying for living expenses becomes a factor.

That job comes at the cost of reducing the available time for studying, which affects grades.

Also, it becomes a drag to work and go to school for an extended period of time.

My sister and I both had 3 jobs at one point in college. She finished because I was able to help support her - she's several years younger. I knew it was important for her to finish. I didn't have the same support and left at the end of my freshman year. It's not sustainable to be a full time college student and work 3 jobs at that same time. Oddly, now I have more degrees than she does.
gams007 Wrote:I was reading the statistics over the amount of graduated students in the USA and the average is very low.
They usually dropped out starting the sophomore year Huh

https://educationdata.org/college-dropout-rates

I think one of the big dilemma is that colleges and universities are very expensive in the USA compare to other countries.

For those who don't know the alternative inexpensive options towards higher education, I can see that being a problem here in the USA. The same can be said for other nations that have a similar dilemma. Not all countries have affordable tuition, it all boils down to cost and if the student has the energy, money, time for that educational commitment... sometimes life happens and they're out of the academic picture until they get themselves back up to par...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-01-2022, 01:19 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-01-2022, 01:07 PM)LevelUP Wrote: The cost of paying for living expenses becomes a factor.

My sister and I both had 3 jobs at one point in college. She finished because I was able to help support her - she's several years younger. I knew it was important for her to finish. I didn't have the same support and left at the end of my freshman year. It's not sustainable to be a full time college student and work 3 jobs at that same time. Oddly, now I have more degrees than she does.

What don't like is to wasting time studying stuff that I do not really need, things that I learn in high school they repeat them again. I'm an international student and most of the stuff I get in the beginning when starting a US degree was a waste of time en money the general education for me is not what I was looking for, I work as an IT consultant and for me taking courses like COMPTIA, Microsoft, Google IT, CCNA certificates are the real stuff, My Boss send me to do IT jobs and not to know politics, religion, sociology, psychology and a bunch of courses that I waste more than a year studying. I have to work to support my family, and I need to invest my time more productive.
I was comparing a Latin American degree and the first university year they start already with introduction to programming, OOP and a bunch of computer science stuff than general education. But at least I'm almost finishing this journey by the end of the year.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
Also I think we had a thread here (that I posted in) about professors who make it harder. Some students might be struggling and try to get help from the professor and still not understand the material. Or they get one or two bad grades and figure they need to drop out rather than get a C or D.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • ss20ts
(05-01-2022, 05:01 PM)Ideas Wrote: Also I think we had a thread here (that I posted in) about professors who make it harder. Some students might be struggling and try to get help from the professor and still not understand the material. Or they get one or two bad grades and figure they need to drop out rather than get a C or D.

I was actually just talking to someone last night who mentioned he had calculus class and how that calculus professor added in a ton of extra stuff to make it way harder like giving them take-home tests that required 30-40 hours to finish. He also mentioned this same class had an 80% failure rate so it was a good class. I told him that if 80% of a class fails, that's a terrible teacher. His mind was blown at seeing things from that perspective.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 4 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • CatsDomino, FastTrackDegree, rachel83az, ss20ts
(05-01-2022, 05:44 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I was actually just talking to someone last night who mentioned he had calculus class and how that calculus professor added in a ton of extra stuff to make it way harder like giving them take-home tests that required 30-40 hours to finish. He also mentioned this same class had an 80% failure rate so it was a good class. I told him that if 80% of a class fails, that's a terrible teacher. His mind was blown at seeing things from that perspective.

An 80% failure rate? How does that professor have a job? Clearly they're not teaching. A take home test taking 30 HOURS is absolutely ridiculous. That person is on a sick power trip. Nothing more. They're not interested in educating.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • CatsDomino, rachel83az
(05-01-2022, 05:01 PM)Ideas Wrote: Also I think we had a thread here (that I posted in) about professors who make it harder. Some students might be struggling and try to get help from the professor and still not understand the material. Or they get one or two bad grades and figure they need to drop out rather than get a C or D.

I believe you are referring to this thread:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...h-DFW-Rate
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,181 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,534 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,926 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 389 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 729 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 244 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 210 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor