Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colleges Using Study.com Format?
I think I can better explain my goal/path. I am enrolled in a masters program. I needed prerequisites in accounting before I could take the masters level courses, so I earned those prerequisites through Study.com and they transferred to the college. The previous poster is correct in the Study.com credits did not go towards the masters degree.

I don't need a masters degree, it's more of a goal. What I need immediately is 24 credits. Here's my new plan, what do you think?
  • Drop the masters program I'm in (expensive and the instruction is not good)
  • Enroll in TESU Individual Learning Account (ILA) - non degree seeking, get an official transcript that shows credits
  • Transfer 24 credits from Study.com to TESU - I looked at the course compatibility between Study.com and TESU and the 24 credits match up
  • Consider switching to degree seeking at TESU after getting the 24 credits - realizing TESU may have a limit on transfer credits towards degree
Questions

Is it pretty much a given that TESU will accept me if I pay the ILA fee? I'm asking because I want to drop my masters courses, but I'm wondering if I should wait for TESU confirmation of acceptance as a non-degree seeking student.

My masters courses, which I just started on 1/12, are funded through a loan (FAFSA). If I drop the courses any thoughts on what I can expect as far as financial issues? It's two courses (6 credits) and the only loan monies spent were the actual cost of the two courses.

I will be contacting the financial aid office at the school, but I'm just curious what usually happens when you have a loan and you decide to drop the courses.

Thanks
(01-26-2022, 08:55 AM)mialo Wrote: I think I can better explain my goal/path. I am enrolled in a masters program. I needed prerequisites in accounting before I could take the masters level courses, so I earned those prerequisites through Study.com and they transferred to the college. The previous poster is correct in the Study.com credits did not go towards the masters degree.

I don't need a masters degree, it's more of a goal. What I need immediately is 24 credits. Here's my new plan, what do you think?
  • Drop the masters program I'm in (expensive and the instruction is not good)
  • Enroll in TESU Individual Learning Account (ILA) - non degree seeking, get an official transcript that shows credits
  • Transfer 24 credits from Study.com to TESU - I looked at the course compatibility between Study.com and TESU and the 24 credits match up
  • Consider switching to degree seeking at TESU after getting the 24 credits - realizing TESU may have a limit on transfer credits towards degree
Questions

Is it pretty much a given that TESU will accept me if I pay the ILA fee? I'm asking because I want to drop my masters courses, but I'm wondering if I should wait for TESU confirmation of acceptance as a non-degree seeking student.

I'm not sure why you would get an ILA, when you can just transfer in the credits and then order a transcript.  Register for a TECEP if you want to become enrolled.  It will cost $50-$225 depending on which one you choose.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Assuming your bachelor's degree is from a regionally accredited school, it'd be cheaper to apply as a second degree-seeking student and enroll by registering for a TECEP.

(01-26-2022, 08:55 AM)mialo Wrote: My masters courses, which I just started on 1/12, are funded through a loan (FAFSA). If I drop the courses any thoughts on what I can expect as far as financial issues? It's two courses (6 credits) and the only loan monies spent were the actual cost of the two courses.

I will be contacting the financial aid office at the school, but I'm just curious what usually happens when you have a loan and you decide to drop the courses.

Thanks

You'll be expected to return a prorated amount based on how much of the term has passed.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
I agree; don't register for an ILA. Register for a certificate of some kind at TESU. Pay for a TECEP. Transfer the courses in. Be done.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-24-2022, 10:30 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Yeah you don't really get much say in the courses you take at UMPI. You follow the degree plan. The classes are definitely not video based. The classes are all text. With an occasionally link to a website article or a video. These are not what you're tested on and not the main focus of the material though. They're like just extra info. 

WGU definitely doesn't let you take whatever courses you want. They follow a specific path as well.

At UMPI, can you choose which order to take which classes?  Assuming that the classes are offered in that particular session and that they are on your degree requirements?  Also, do you have to take classes linearly or can you take more than one course at a time?

Thanks in advance.
(01-29-2022, 04:57 PM)booklovingirl Wrote: At UMPI, can you choose which order to take which classes?  Assuming that the classes are offered in that particular session and that they are on your degree requirements?  Also, do you have to take classes linearly or can you take more than one course at a time?

Thanks in advance.

There's some leeway in the course order but not a whole lot. It all depends on what you have left and what's available. I've seen different people get different responses. Might depend on what they have left, what they've taken, and how much they've already completed at UMPI. 

You can work on 2 courses at a time. When you finish one, you contact your advisor and have the next one opened for you. They won't allow more 3 classes and even having 3 is REALLY difficult to get opened. You have to be submitting one of your classes for that third one to open. I opened the session with 4 courses because this is my final session and I needed 4 courses to be full time for the semester. I've already completed 1 course. Part way through my second course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,370 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,601 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,523 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 754 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 365 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,906 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 593 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 313 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 732 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM