Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Columbia Southern University - Masters Programs
For undergraduate, I definitely wanted to go with an RA school to keep options open later. The light at the end of the undergraduate tunnel is finally a glimmer on the horizon, and I'm considering graduate options. One of the schools on my not-so-short list is Columbia Southern University. They're not RA (DETC accredited only) but I've seen and heard they are working on the long, tough journey to get RA, though that is no guarantee. Their offices are local, which is not a big deal since all the courses are online, but it would make it easier to get some questions answered or tests proctored. Has anyone done a graduate degree with them? Was it worth the time, money, etc?
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
mrs.b Wrote:For undergraduate, I definitely wanted to go with an RA school to keep options open later. The light at the end of the undergraduate tunnel is finally a glimmer on the horizon, and I'm considering graduate options. One of the schools on my not-so-short list is Columbia Southern University. They're not RA (DETC accredited only) but I've seen and heard they are working on the long, tough journey to get RA, though that is no guarantee. Their offices are local, which is not a big deal since all the courses are online, but it would make it easier to get some questions answered or tests proctored. Has anyone done a graduate degree with them? Was it worth the time, money, etc?

No opinion on the school, but I'll throw out there that I think there are very few times when an NA school won't work for a graduate degree (my opinion, like yours, is definitely the opposite for undergraduate). That said, many online schools have great customer service and are doing more with webcams and programs like ProctorU. So, I wouldn't necessarily consider those 2 biggies in terms of picking a school. Being local, however, I think is always a plus if you plan to stay local. What degree are you thinking? Business is outside my area, but there are cheap cheap cheap MBA options via RA schools and there are options (like New Mexico) that are individualized studies for under $10k and hit more of the liberal arts areas.
My 2c. Online is bad enough without the NA component working against you. My MBA is online, private, for profit, RA and ACBSP, which is a far cry from brick and mortar, non-profit, state school, and AACSB. But at least it is RA and ACBSP.
ENMU is brick and mortar, RA, and a non-profit state school.
I bet you would get a good education at Columbia Southern, but you should think carefully about it before choosing due to perceptions.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
@cookderosa: I'm looking at Business, something in the Human Resources / Organizational Management neighborhood. Which is another possible negative. As an individual that has worked "this long" without a degree, I'm realistic and know that a piece of paper is only worth so much and the bulk of a person's qualifications rest in the ability to retain long-term and apply that knowledge. But for future advancement opportunities, HR personnel in my own field are ridiculously picky about that piece of paper. I'm a little concerned that a non-RA degree will be useless, or worse, since it does not fit the screening check box as neatly. It is reasonably inexpensive compared to other graduate programs, though, and like ryoder pointed out, I am not concerned that the education itself would be a problem.

@ryoder: I definitely agree with all your points. Including the likelihood of a good education. We all get out of the educational journey what we put into it, so I am not concerned that the education itself would be lacking. Thought...an AACSB school would be great. Business accreditation of any sort is on my "want" (not need, but still) list.

Those are all good points. I'm not sure I'm ready to nix them just yet, but I think I'll move them further down the list. Thank you both for your comments! I've been arguing with myself on this one for some odd reason.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
My main reason for going to NCU is the format of the courses. It is at your own pace and I love that. If they were AACSB I would be doing backflips, but they are ACBSP and I will have to live with that.
Good luck with your decision and don't worry about other people's perceptions too much. There is a lot of NCU bashing going on in online degree forums and I do not let it get in the way of getting a quality education at NCU.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,425 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 542 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Having a dilemma about University Personherebb9 12 1,858 06-07-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  University / Colleges with Grammarly? msa145 1 722 12-18-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Vle045
Exclamation Boston University Doctors Create New COVID Variant that Has 80% Kill Rate LevelUP 10 1,043 10-20-2022, 03:34 PM
Last Post: inf
  American University Alpha 1 554 08-26-2022, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  University Biologist Resigns Alpha 5 808 08-10-2022, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Canadian University looking to fill a niche position... bjcheung77 0 504 04-26-2022, 03:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Reese’s University Vle045 0 645 02-17-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Vle045