Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwestern College & New Earth Institute (Art Therapy, Consiousness MAs)
(08-25-2023, 08:36 PM)eLearner Wrote: Personally, I'd get the MA in Counseling, get licensed (or not) and go after a Doctorate in Psychology (preferably one eligible for licensing) elsewhere since it will be focused entirely on the science of Psychology.

Alternatively, a doctorate in Counselor Education and Supervision would open doors to teach in CACREP counseling programs especially.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • eLearner
(08-25-2023, 08:36 PM)eLearner Wrote: I got some info back from Kairos, and the situation with the DPC is this:

1. You have to have a Master's in a mental health discipline.

2. You have to be licensed.

3. You have to be practicing.

My issue with it is that it's not really heavy on the counseling side like their Master's is and that's strange to me. Personally, I'd get the MA in Counseling, get licensed (or not) and go after a Doctorate in Psychology (preferably one eligible for licensing) elsewhere since it will be focused entirely on the science of Psychology.

So after speaking with another rep from the school, I understand the aim of their DPC better. Because you're required to already be licensed and practicing, the point of it is to focus on a specialization or research and/project work which makes up the majority of the credits. Still, I would say, if you didn't feel like you got enough out of your Master's program(s) in a Mental Health discipline, it just makes sense to seek out a Doctorate in Psychology (or Mental Health Counseling, though I don't think there are many of those in the United States). I also think the DPC will fly more in states where the LPC is a thing, but not as much in others.
(08-29-2023, 11:41 PM)eLearner Wrote:
(08-25-2023, 08:36 PM)eLearner Wrote: I got some info back from Kairos, and the situation with the DPC is this:

1. You have to have a Master's in a mental health discipline.

2. You have to be licensed.

3. You have to be practicing.

My issue with it is that it's not really heavy on the counseling side like their Master's is and that's strange to me. Personally, I'd get the MA in Counseling, get licensed (or not) and go after a Doctorate in Psychology (preferably one eligible for licensing) elsewhere since it will be focused entirely on the science of Psychology.

So after speaking with another rep from the school, I understand the aim of their DPC better. Because you're required to already be licensed and practicing, the point of it is to focus on a specialization or research and/project work which makes up the majority of the credits. Still, I would say, if you didn't feel like you got enough out of your Master's program(s) in a Mental Health discipline, it just makes sense to seek out a Doctorate in Psychology (or Mental Health Counseling, though I don't think there are many of those in the United States). I also think the DPC will fly more in states where the LPC is a thing, but not as much in others.

ASU's DBH - Clinical is like this. I'm sure I've come across other programs that are like this. The goal is not really to increase your knowledge of psychology or counseling. The goal is to get the doctor title for marketing purposes and for potentially higher pay.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-30-2023, 01:19 PM)sanantone Wrote: ASU's DBH - Clinical is like this. I'm sure I've come across other programs that are like this. The goal is not really to increase your knowledge of psychology or counseling. The goal is to get the doctor title for marketing purposes and for potentially higher pay.

I think some increase can happen with a DBH program, but with the two main programs (ASU and CGI) you only get 6 courses that are directly related to Patient care. The rest of the courses are more like something you'd find in a DHA program or an American Doctor of Health Science program.

It's hard to say if the DPC at Kairos is the same thing because the bulk of its courses are tied up in research/project/thesis work. The setup for that appears to be in the self-design territory, in which case the depth of what students get out of it is ultimately (with some guidance) up to them. If the guidance is there and it's proper it could be very useful, but the program has not been around for a long time and not much has been said about it on the web.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American College of Education - Master's ashkir 6 347 04-26-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Western Institute for Social Research: NA MS & EdD, $8400/yr Subscription-Priced Jonathan Whatley 3 260 04-05-2024, 05:28 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  SMC name change to Signum Magnum College - Free MBA?! bjcheung77 6 720 04-03-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  American Institute of Law - My Journey AnonJD2027 14 2,190 03-19-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: JazzMac
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 294 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,704 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
  South College Announces Executive MBA Darknigh7 11 930 01-03-2024, 05:16 PM
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,823 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Is Xenophon College London legit? SkintGradStudent 11 2,527 10-04-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: diletta_don
  Rasmussen College competency based MPH Popestt 45 8,281 09-16-2023, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Popestt