Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Programming (TESC)
Hello everyone,
To complete my TESC degree, I need to take a computer programming class... no CLEP/DSST for this topic. Can anyone recommend an accredited online school bearing in mind that I have no prior programming experience? TESC will accept any programming language including Visual Basic, which is my first choice.

Thanks!
I assume that you've already checked with your local Community College/University and their classes have already begun for the semester. Below is a link to Rio Salada CC that runs a rolling 14 week program that begins every Monday Rio Salado College Online - General Education/Computers
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Go with Penn foster, its faster !!
Quote:Go with Penn foster, its faster !!

all4nia, since it is this persons very first post, it might be a good idea to expand your post to include information like:

1) the ACE accredited process and the Big 3
2) how to check and see if a PF class is ACE approved
3) how to enroll in individual classes at PF
4) the PF process
5) PF link
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Geezer Wrote:all4nia, since it is this persons very first post, it might be a good idea to expand your post to include information like:

1) the ACE accredited process and the Big 3
2) how to check and see if a PF class is ACE approved
3) how to enroll in individual classes at PF
4) the PF process
5) PF link

or use the search feature !!
Penn Foster is not regionally accredited, but many of their courses are ACE approved for college credit. The Big 3 accept ACE approved credit.

To see if a course is ACE approved go here ACE | National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training
Go to Penn Foster and search, go to the bottom of the page and click on a course of interest. ACE lists all the courses that have ever been approved, so you need to make sure it is still currently offered.

Penn Foster offers individual courses. When you call, just explain that you are not interested in a degree program, just an individual class.

Penn Foster course are self paced, usually consist of a series of modules and a final. The modules contain open book quizzes. The final has to be proctored. A proctor is defined as someone other than a family member with at least an A.A. degree. You must pass the final with at least a 70. If you fail the final, you have one chance to retake and score a maximum of 70.
Maybe you could just hack into the system and give yourself credit....hahaha..just kidding...I wonder if there is a Microsoft or other cert test that you could get credit for ?

Answered my own question ICCP exams are ACE accredited..no VB but BASIC,C,C++ and a couple others.
For the Penn Foster VB.net course I completed earlier this year there is no proctored final. It consists of 5 chapter exams and 6 graded projects. The 6th project is the "Final" graded project. The course is can be completed as long as your are willing to put in the time to work on the projects. A few can be completed easily and the last few require more work.

I know you mentioned TESC, but with Excelsior they will not grant credit towards the programming requirement for any Microsoft exam. They will accept some of the ICCP exams and also the TECEP exams.
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the enhanced explanation of PF!

Tim
I would recommend just taking it from TESC. I took it and recieved a grade of C but I would have gotten a higher grade if I submitted the last 3 assignments. I was lazy and didn't want to do them. Oh well. Good Luck!
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Computer Concepts CIS-107 sambeaux 3 1,965 09-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,545 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,635 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU - BA in Computer Science Gone? MrBossmanJr 5 1,701 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU BA Computer Science nyvrem 5 2,481 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU ASNSM/BALS w Computer Science thewupk 1 1,206 05-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,361 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Are there any Programming Language courses in Python that TESU will accept? camjenks 2 1,120 04-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sapientes
Sad TESU has stopped offering a BA in Computer Science? johnw 14 3,282 04-24-2018, 02:06 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Finally! Finishing TESU BA in Computer Science by May! Wittiest 5 1,387 02-24-2018, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rlw74