Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Science Accreditation
I am hopeful someone familiar with the field of CS can help. My son (high school senior) is evaluating colleges. He intends to study computer science.

One of the schools he is considering boasts that their CS program has been accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineers Technology). They claim only 262 schools in the US have this. 

It sure sounds good. Is it? Does it matter?

Thanks.
It doesn't matter, but http://main.abet.org/aps/Accreditedprogramsearch.aspx shows that the top schools all have this. Don't be fooled by the search engine. It will return schools that have any type of ABET accreditation. Take a look at Stanford, where the founders of Google went. http://exploredegrees.stanford.edu/schoolofengineering/ They are accredited for traditional engineering programs, not computer science. Some schools offer an ABET accredited computer engineering degree and a non-ABET accredited computer science degree. Management information systems and computer technology degrees will not be ABET accredited. If ABET accreditation is a school's major selling point, find another school that has substantive selling points. Do their graduates get hired, by whom, and for how much?
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
nobody cares about ABET for CS

not employers, not even HR people

"oh, you have a degree in Computer Science from Harvard University ? We're so sorry. We're only accepting candidates from ABET accredited programs."
(07-31-2017, 08:40 AM)wombat777 Wrote: I am hopeful someone familiar with the field of CS can help. My son (high school senior) is evaluating colleges. He intends to study computer science.

One of the schools he is considering boasts that their CS program has been accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineers Technology). They claim only 262 schools in the US have this. 

Thanks.

ABET is definitely prestigious, so if he has that option he should go with it. However, understand that the wash-out rates will typically be high and he will likely have to satisfy the prerequisites to get into the CS program.
(07-31-2017, 08:40 AM)wombat777 Wrote: I am hopeful someone familiar with the field of CS can help. My son (high school senior) is evaluating colleges. He intends to study computer science.

Thanks.

ABET doesn't mean anything in the computer science world, and employers won't care about this at all (for a CS major). For engineering disciplines such as civil, mechanical, and electrical, however, it matters a lot.
TESU BA Computer Science - September 2017!
"I am hopeful someone familiar with the field of CS can help. My son (high school senior) is evaluating colleges. He intends to study computer science."

I already responded. I've worked in the field for two of the top 20 computer companies. No, I'm not going to name them because I still cling to the silly idea of possibly retaining some of my anonymity. What the other posters have said is absolutely correct. Sounds like you've "been sold" on ABET. I didn't even know ABET recognized CS programs until today.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
I don't work in the field, but there was a discussion about the importance of ABET on the other forum. ABET is important of you want to become a licensed professional engineer. I guess a software engineer might want to become a professional engineer. However, at least in Texas, the division of ABET that accredits computer science programs does not lead to automatic recognition of your degree. In other words, those with ABET-accredited computer science degrees would be in the same category as those with physics degrees that don't have ABET accreditation and would have to meet additional requirements. Texas only recognizes the divisions of ABET that accredit engineering programs.

If you want to become a patent agent or patent attorney, then ABET accreditation for a computer science program will make things a lot easier. Otherwise, USPTO would have to do a course-by-course evaluation.

My philosophy is that, if employers aren't listing something as a preference or requirement in most job ads, then it's not important.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Thanks for the responses. General consensus is that ABET doesn't matter for CS. Good to know.

(07-31-2017, 05:37 PM)clep3705 Wrote: "Sounds like you've "been sold" on ABET. I didn't even know ABET recognized CS programs until today."

Not sure why you think I've "been sold" on ABET. I didn't really know anything about it. That's why I posted. Big Grin

Thanks for your responses, though. I do appreciate it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 253 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 213 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,262 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 564 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 392 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,202 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,038 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 19,318 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Nicaragua removes accreditation elcastor21 5 492 08-26-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Accreditation problems for Ocean County College indigoshuffle 4 709 07-23-2023, 12:33 PM