Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused on best way to start
Hello, I am deciding between WGU and TESU for an IT degree, i originally wanted TESU because i figured it would be cheaper since i live in NJ, but i cant seem to figure out which courses I can use 3rd party sites for(like study.com) for the main ITS courses.  I have an prebuilt excel sheet setup to do an IT degree at WGU, but I'm not sure if I should be doing these courses now, then applying/enrolling, or if i need to apply/enroll first and then do the courses.  I just want to pull the trigger and start ASAP, so I'm leaning alot towards WGU for now, but I need to know if i should just start using study.com or if i need get accepted first,  any insights/answers are greatly appreciated, thank you!

I've attached both the excel for WGU and TESU for anyone interested in looking, the TESU one is under construction still.

Attached Files
.xlsx   WGU IT.xlsx (Size: 833.6 KB / Downloads: 7)
.xlsx   TESU IT.xlsx (Size: 55.91 KB / Downloads: 2)
[-] The following 1 user Likes xsephia's post:
  • cjkfuentes@ymail.com
Please see the thread below where others have recommended other options than TESU for the IT degree - they recommend TESU if you are going for a Computer Science degree instead: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Technology

Options recommended were WGU (which you are considering) or Purdue Global (PUG). Here is a sample IT degree plan with option for PUG: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/PU...egree_Plan

If you choose WGU, you need to take the courses before you start, as transfers into WGU lockup when you reach a certain date.
In progress: HAU MBA (2/3rds done so far) Completed: BA Economics | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • origamishuttle
@xsephia, Welcome to the board, it's great you've provided some details of what you're looking for, however, it's missing the bulk of the information asked for in the addendum and template. It's best for you to update the thread with these details here, so we can get a bigger picture of your overall situation: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-26-2024, 11:23 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @xsephia, Welcome to the board, it's great you've provided some details of what you're looking for, however, it's missing the bulk of the information asked for in the addendum and template.  It's best for you to update the thread with these details here, so we can get a bigger picture of your overall situation: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Thank you for this, I didnt know there was a template!

Your Location: NJ, USA
Your Age: 27
What kind of degree do you want?: IT(interested in Cyber Security, but I'm worried about being able to get a job in CyberSec as its normally mid-senior level positions.  I took a year year long Cyber Security course through NJIT/HackerU/ThriveDX that didnt make me employable at all and was a waste of money so, kind of worried about a cybersec degree
Current Regional Accredited Credits:

NJIT 2014/2015 Total Credits: 10 i think?  I'm not really sure how credits work fully, I got a C in CS 107 Computing as a Career, 1cr; I got a B in HUM 101 Writing Speaking, Thinking I, 3cr; I got a D in STS 101 Und Tech Soc: Intro STS, 3cr; I got a C+ in IT 101 Intro to Information Technology, 3cr.

I dont know if any of these are transferrable, or if they expire, this was in 2014/2015 when I first tried college
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

Any certifications or military experience?
Sec+ 701 and CCSK

Budget:  I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast.  
Commitments: I can study while working full time, my job is WFH and pretty relaxed
Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed during the night or weekends as long as my schedule is free. I estimate at least 5 hours every week day/night and on the weekends, maybe 2 hours, total would be roughly 25+4=29 hours or slightly more.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish in under a year
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: I'm pretty sure I get financial aid, I'm technically homeless
Great update to the thread with your addendum and template, you're getting started to the nitty gritty now! My suggestion is different, it's still the balanced mix/match of the trifecta of certs, degree, experience. I would skip TESU & WGU in favor for cheaper, easier, faster, and more ROI/Value when you 'balance' the mix I mentioned. It goes like this, cheapies/freebies (Coursera Plus/TEEX that provide credit towards a degree, along with Edx Professional certs), Pierpont BOG AAS Info Systems, UMPI BAS PM & MIS minors plus the 3-4 classes that go towards the UMPI MAOL.. In total, $200 for AAS, $1500 for BAS if you can finish in 1 session... otherwise, it'll be $3K for the UMPI BAS.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-27-2024, 02:04 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Great update to the thread with your addendum and template, you're getting started to the nitty gritty now!  My suggestion is different, it's still the balanced mix/match of the trifecta of certs, degree, experience.  I would skip TESU & WGU in favor for cheaper, easier, faster, and more ROI/Value when you 'balance' the mix I mentioned.  It goes like this, cheapies/freebies (Coursera Plus/TEEX that provide credit towards a degree, along with Edx Professional certs), Pierpont BOG AAS Info Systems, UMPI BAS PM & MIS minors plus the 3-4 classes that go towards the UMPI MAOL.. In total, $200 for AAS, $1500 for BAS if you can finish in 1 session... otherwise, it'll be $3K for the UMPI BAS.

Thank you so much for your replies, I still am a little lost though.  The "cheapies/freebies" are courses that provide credit towards a degree, but how do I know which courses?  Is there a guideline or something of the sort for each college?  I really want to get started taking courses as soon as possible, so if theres anyone on this forum you know of that helps create degree plans/outlines please refer me, I would be willing to compensate them for their time!  otherwise, I guess im gonna have to spend time figuring out what classes to take where xD
I'm confused about the switch from cyber to IT. If you get a cyber degree, you should still be able to get any job you could get with an IT degree, plus a lot more. I would at least apply to WGU for the BSCSIA to see what kind of financial aid you get. If you max the Pell Grant, it would cover almost the full tuition. And there are several certifications included in the degree program.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
(02-27-2024, 02:29 PM)origamishuttle Wrote: I'm confused about the switch from cyber to IT. If you get a cyber degree, you should still be able to get any job you could get with an IT degree, plus a lot more. I would at least apply to WGU for the BSCSIA to see what kind of financial aid you get. If you max the Pell Grant, it would cover almost the full tuition. And there are several certifications included in the degree program.

In my experience all job listings for cyber sec(even like lvl 1 soc analyst) require job experience and having the cyber degree does nothing in terms of making you a better pick for those roles.  I thought it would be better to have an IT degree as its more broad, and then specializing in cyber sec after getting IT experience.  Have you had a different experience in searching for jobs?  I found almost none that would hire fresh grads
(02-27-2024, 03:06 PM)xsephia Wrote: In my experience all job listings for cyber sec(even like lvl 1 soc analyst) require job experience and having the cyber degree does nothing in terms of making you a better pick for those roles.

As Bryan says, the mix of experience, certs, and degree is what you want. While any particular degree is not a ticket to a job, having a cyber degree should not be a hinderance - it should only help you. You never know when your degree, or something you learned in your degree, may be the edge in landing an internship, or your first IT job, or pivoting from helpdesk to a role more focused on cyber.

There is a decent amount of overlap between BSIT and BSCSIA, but if you compare how they differ, the BSIT has things like web dev, UI design, spreadsheets, management, and organizational behavior, which are either non-technical or likely not related to most IT roles, whereas the BSCSIA is basically all cyber:

BSCSIA - https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/cy...ogram.html
BSIT - https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/in...ogram.html

Then there are certifications. The BSIT has the following, plus the very low-level AWS CCP:
ITIL
A+ 
Network+ 
Security+ 
Project+ 
LPI Linux Essentials

BSCSIA has all of the above list, plus these:
CySA+
PenTest+
Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) – Optional Voucher
Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP) – Associate of (ISC)² designation

Basically, everything relevant from the BSIT is also in the BSCSIA.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
(02-27-2024, 04:31 PM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(02-27-2024, 03:06 PM)xsephia Wrote: In my experience all job listings for cyber sec(even like lvl 1 soc analyst) require job experience and having the cyber degree does nothing in terms of making you a better pick for those roles.

As Bryan says, the mix of experience, certs, and degree is what you want. While any particular degree is not a ticket to a job, having a cyber degree should not be a hinderance - it should only help you. You never know when your degree, or something you learned in your degree, may be the edge in landing an internship, or your first IT job, or pivoting from helpdesk to a role more focused on cyber.

There is a decent amount of overlap between BSIT and BSCSIA, but if you compare how they differ, the BSIT has things like web dev, UI design, spreadsheets, management, and organizational behavior, which are either non-technical or likely not related to most IT roles, whereas the BSCSIA is basically all cyber:

BSCSIA - https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/cy...ogram.html
BSIT - https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/in...ogram.html

Then there are certifications. The BSIT has the following, plus the very low-level AWS CCP:
ITIL
A+ 
Network+ 
Security+ 
Project+ 
LPI Linux Essentials

BSCSIA has all of the above list, plus these:
CySA+
PenTest+
Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) – Optional Voucher
Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP) – Associate of (ISC)² designation

Basically, everything relevant from the BSIT is also in the BSCSIA.
thank you so much for the in depth reply, the more i hear you out, the more im interested in the cyber degree at WGU!!  especially because i already have an excel showing me which courses to do on study.com for that degree as well.  Seriously your reply has helped me stick with cyber sec i think

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will start in over a month, what can I do in the mean time? thepoetvd776 5 799 01-15-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  WGU Term Start/Acceptance Question...... Toastmaster 14 3,961 09-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore