Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cookderosa's new book --- Homeschooling For College Credit
Hi Jennifer,
Just finished reading your book; what a great resource for homeschool families. Even though I am familiar with the process, having earned an AS from Charter Oak over 20 years ago and more recently finished a BA there, I learned many new tricks. Thank you! My daughter is currently a sophomore in high school and we are hoping she can graduate with an AS in business before sending her off to culinary school. I am curious on how I can generalize some of your principles in the book to a co-op group or if that is even possible? I have talked to several moms in my group suggesting we offer a track for advanced juniors and seniors where they can work as a group and study for a test each month with the hopes of accumulating 30 or so general education exams that can transfer. Everyone says it sounds like a good idea but I am not so sure how it would work out practically. I am finishing teaching a Psychology course and will be giving the class a practice CLEP exam next week. I have learned that just because the parents think it is a good idea, many of the kids are not onboard. Maybe it is more effective to have each teacher tack on a few weeks of CLEP prep to go along with the course they are teaching instead of trying to immerse a student in one subject at a time before moving on to the next? While I love that style of learning I don’t know how effective it is for teenagers. Any thoughts?
So, how far along in the process are your kids?
I hope Rainbow Resource will carry your book, and then you can make the rounds at all the home-school conventions!
Thanks again for putting this resource together,
Gen
P.S. the advantage of reading before you go to bed is that I did not notice any errors except the weird formatting that goes along with many of the kindle books.
Tampamom3 Wrote:Hi Jennifer,
Just finished reading your book; what a great resource for homeschool families. Even though I am familiar with the process, having earned an AS from Charter Oak over 20 years ago and more recently finished a BA there, I learned many new tricks. Thank you! My daughter is currently a sophomore in high school and we are hoping she can graduate with an AS in business before sending her off to culinary school. I am curious on how I can generalize some of your principles in the book to a co-op group or if that is even possible? I have talked to several moms in my group suggesting we offer a track for advanced juniors and seniors where they can work as a group and study for a test each month with the hopes of accumulating 30 or so general education exams that can transfer. Everyone says it sounds like a good idea but I am not so sure how it would work out practically. I am finishing teaching a Psychology course and will be giving the class a practice CLEP exam next week. I have learned that just because the parents think it is a good idea, many of the kids are not onboard. Maybe it is more effective to have each teacher tack on a few weeks of CLEP prep to go along with the course they are teaching instead of trying to immerse a student in one subject at a time before moving on to the next? While I love that style of learning I don’t know how effective it is for teenagers. Any thoughts?
So, how far along in the process are your kids?
I hope Rainbow Resource will carry your book, and then you can make the rounds at all the home-school conventions!
Thanks again for putting this resource together,
Gen
P.S. the advantage of reading before you go to bed is that I did not notice any errors except the weird formatting that goes along with many of the kindle books.
Hey, you are aware that Florida offers college courses FREE to homeschool students right? In addition to the concepts offers in Jen's book there is a whole lot of helpful stuff out there, particularly for Florida residents. Using the ideas in this book, coupled with the free courses, my daughter knocked out her AA before graduating HS. Shoot me a PM if you need info (don't want to high jack a great thread).
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:Hey, you are aware that Florida offers college courses FREE to homeschool students right? In addition to the concepts offers in Jen's book there is a whole lot of helpful stuff out there, particularly for Florida residents. Using the ideas in this book, coupled with the free courses, my daughter knocked out her AA before graduating HS. Shoot me a PM if you need info (don't want to high jack a great thread).
Hi Rebel,
Thanks for your reply, as far as free courses for homeschool Florida residents I do know about dual enrollment, both of my older kids went that route. My youngest is not interested in college at this point but we all know that could change down the road. For her, coupling college level exams with existing high school courses along with a little test prep will work best for her (and me) at this point. I am done driving kids all over creation for classes, music lessons, sports, ect! It is worth it for me to spend the $100 on an exam. Are there other resources available that I should know about?
I think you could generalize the concepts and put together a co-op program, but I'd like to see less of an emphasis on the acceleration aspect- but that's just me. I think there is a difference (a huge one actually) between the student who says "look at this, I can do this, I will do this. get out of my way" and the student who is given a curriculum/plan by the parent. In a parent-driven plan, your curriculum is well designed and thorough, so the "final exam" CLEP isn't "hard" because the child is comfortable with the material. *not to mean additional study isn't necessary, rather they have developed intuition about the subject.

I'm not slamming anyone, but the success and drive that lead to accumulating credit individually are what is THIS BOARD does best. This is where I found my way, but I'm an adult. My kids need to do high school- all 4 years- at home- with me, before I send them out into the great wide open. So, in our house we do school traditionally. If at some point, one of my kids over-ran my plan and said they had a better way, I'd let them. I'd hand my child the book. We have had MANY kids here, and they all kicked butt. I bet none of their moms put them here. That's the difference. It's a small distinction, but an important one, in my opinion.

Putting a child in the tree is not the same as waiting for them to learn to climb the tree. One is dangerous, one is progress.
I've checked my library and eBay, and Amazon says it's out of print and has "limited availability." I did put it on my Amazon wish list, but is there somewhere else I should look?
See post number 19 on this thread.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
I noticed the mistakes in the book but I did not care. Jennifer wrote a freakin book and was just grateful to have it. I bought the onliner version and the print-based version. I did that partially because I was too impatient to wait for the book to come in before I had a chance to read it. The other reason I did that is because I wanted Jennifer to be fully rewarded for her hard work. The book was great and Jennifer has no reason to be embarrassed although I do understand why she wanted to fix the mistakes.
Texas A&M - Commerce - BAAS summer 2023
California Coast University - BSBA 2008

You guys are so kind. Though I'm an author, I'm certainly NOT a writer lol. In any event, the revision has happened- book was edited again and resubmitted. I'm just waiting to hear back. Both versions will be the new version <whew> and the old versions will be lost forever lol.
AlbaTiVo Wrote:See post number 19 on this thread.

Ah. Thank you.
It's LIVE! The new edition just posted. The "look inside" is the old book- they tell me it will change in 2-7 business days. Anyway, I double checked, and it is still free for amazon prime members if you do ebooks, and because I uploaded a new edition, that 90 day free period started over, so that's pretty cool! Because of my pulling it, it's also pulled from the other stores that they reach through their distribution program (Barnes and Noble, etc) so it isn't showing there, and it can take 6 weeks. HOWEVER, I'm sooooooo happy I pulled it and did the editing. Now I have a product I can feel good about!

Since I care what you people think of me, if you want to get rid of your old copy and get a new one, pm me for my address. You can mail me your old copy and I'll buy you a new one. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homeschooling Leebo 201 15,618 01-24-2024, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,311 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 689 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 913 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,490 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 527 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 891 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,803 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 713 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,096 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az