Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Applying to PA school
work for good grades and be sure you have meet the requirements- beyond that, there is an element of uncertainty, but all students face that.
If you're willing to attend any PA program (as opposed to a specific one you have your heart set on) your chances will be exceptionally higher.
Now MCPHS require so many hours in direct patient care. Many people do this by becoming an EMT or a LNA and get the required hours in that way. That’s if they are not already employed in a job that meets the requirement.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
(08-08-2018, 07:14 AM)alleycat Wrote: Now MCPHS require so many hours in direct patient care. Many people do this by becoming an EMT or a LNA and get the required hours in that way. That’s if they are not already employed in a job that meets the requirement.

Thanks for the response!!!

Yes, I am aware that all this is necessary but I am mainly concerned about the actual BA. I have all the other stuff taken care of.

Thank you so much!!
(08-06-2018, 10:39 PM)bluebooger Wrote: you aren't getting in with a TESU BS

https://shs.touro.edu/programs/physician...ollapseOne

https://www.marist.edu/science/physician...admissions

https://www.southuniversity.edu/tampa/ar...admissions

This isn't accurate.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical student (yet), nor am I a physician (yet).

I've done extensive research into medical school admissions. The requirements for admission into medical school are nearly identical to that of Physician's Assistant school. I've sought and received counsel from many physicians regarding my own aspirations and circumstances; several of which have previously been members of medical school admissions committees. Based on the information I received, the undergraduate degree itself really isn't the most important thing: accreditation, grades, completed prerequisites and interviews are. You may not get into an Ivy-league medical school with a TESU degree but it doesn't preclude you from medical school, or in your case, Physician's Assistant school at all. Humanities-type undergraduate applicants are encouraged at many medical schools right now.

Hope this helps.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
I have done the proper research 
so go ahead and apply to a PA program 
please post to the forum the day you send in your application 
I'll be waiting for you to come back to the forum and announce your acceptance
(08-12-2018, 11:58 AM)bluebooger Wrote: I have done the proper research 

And we're all waiting for you to back up your assertion instead of just spreading FUD.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • cookderosa, MSK9
(08-12-2018, 12:13 PM)davewill Wrote:

And we're all waiting for you to back up your assertion instead of just spreading FUD.

I agree.

By the time I landed here, I'd worked for YEARS in college administration as a dept head and advisor as well as faculty member and even launched a degree program that had to obtain accreditation.... so to say I knew nothing when I came here wouldn't be true- BUT I will tell you that 90% of what I *thought* I knew coming in turned out to be LOADED with mythology and my real education about higher education didn't start until I came here.

Yes, MD / DO / PA programs are competitive - they are competitive even for the kids who are doing everything right. So what? You only need 1 yes.

I'm not seeing where any of these links says that a BS at TESU is not going to get you in.  I briefly read through them, and aren't quite sure what you're pointing to as not being able to get in with a TESU BS.  Can you clarify?

Just an FYI: I have talked to a couple of people at some med schools nearby, and at this point, with a glut of "Pre-Med" and biology majors trying to get in, these people actively discourage getting those degrees, and suggest almost anything else; psych, humanities, social sciences, communications, business, etc. They say that you need to stand out in the crowd, and a BA other than the norm is a GOOD thing to have. The person that I know that got into med school and was successful (chief resident of Psychiatry at Duke his final year of residency); he was a computer science major! He just had to go back to CC and take his science/lab courses before he got in. Yep, CC for all of that. After taking the Bio and Chem CLEP exams to get through the process faster!

He went to a state school for med school (not a top one either), and the key for him to get a good residency: graduating top of his class in med school. Everyone told him that he HAD to go to an expensive, prestigious medical school to get a great residency, and he proved them wrong. Again. Every step of the way he was told the way he was doing it was wrong, and he just ignored them and did it the way he wanted to.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa

You have not done the proper research. I know plenty of people who got in with a TESU degree and I wanted to hear other opinions.

I did do research on you and you tend to have a negative approach to a lot of people's post. This is why I chose to disregard what you said. God willing, I will be sure to announce my acceptance.

Thank you for contributing a cynical approach to this thread!

(08-12-2018, 09:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I'm not seeing where any of these links says that a BS at TESU is not going to get you in.  I briefly read through them, and aren't quite sure what you're pointing to as not being able to get in with a TESU BS.  Can you clarify?

Just an FYI: I have talked to a couple of people at some med schools nearby, and at this point, with a glut of "Pre-Med" and biology majors trying to get in, these people actively discourage getting those degrees, and suggest almost anything else; psych, humanities, social sciences, communications, business, etc.  They say that you need to stand out in the crowd, and a BA other than the norm is a GOOD thing to have.  The person that I know that got into med school and was successful (chief resident of Psychiatry at Duke his final year of residency); he was a computer science major!  He just had to go back to CC and take his science/lab courses before he got in.  Yep, CC for all of that.  After taking the Bio and Chem CLEP exams to get through the process faster!

He went to a state school for med school (not a top one either), and the key for him to get a good residency: graduating top of his class in med school.  Everyone told him that he HAD to go to an expensive, prestigious medical school to get a great residency, and he proved them wrong.  Again.  Every step of the way he was told the way he was doing it was wrong, and he just ignored them and did it the way he wanted to.

100%!!! I LOVE this post! Thank you for contributing!

Haha!! I love this response!! Davewill, thanks for your witty post Wink

(08-12-2018, 08:45 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

I agree.

By the time I landed here, I'd worked for YEARS in college administration as a dept head and advisor as well as faculty member and even launched a degree program that had to obtain accreditation.... so to say I knew nothing when I came here wouldn't be true-  BUT I will tell you that 90% of what I *thought* I knew coming in turned out to be LOADED with mythology and my real education about higher education didn't start until I came here.  

Yes, MD / DO / PA programs are competitive - they are competitive even for the kids who are doing everything right.  So what?  You only need 1 yes.

Thank you very much for this post!!

Correct, only 1 yes is all that is needed Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - Applying for Graduation dexter1326 3 1,669 09-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  Business Degree and Dental School Flowers12 6 2,404 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,711 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Tesu..finish a degree ad grad school Sb2013 11 3,272 05-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Last Post: SDO
  Need some final critiques before applying! MSK9 17 2,699 04-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  Need Help - School that awards 60 credit general Asscociate Degree Synicaal 9 2,462 02-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Which school accepts FEMA? collegechick 13 9,168 02-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  issues applying to Charter Oak mdel210201 3 1,399 11-12-2017, 04:51 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  How many donate to their school as alumni? Life Long Learning 7 2,256 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  I'm finished and grad school encouragement bannerfield 8 2,622 09-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: alleycat