Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!)
Just an update and a word of advice to anyone else.

Don't take a break if you don't truly need to take one. I am finding it nearly impossible to get motivated. I still can't believe that I completed 66 credits in ~2 months. I could have been done by now (aside from the final credits I need from TESU). I know that it would have been a nightmare if I had kept taking classes but I should have just done the minimum 2 per month at SDC during that time.

Now it feels like I'm starting from the beginning where I didn't know where to start! I had paused my SDC membership in April and went to extend the length that it was paused again and found that it's already maxed out. I believe you can only pause it for 90 days at a time. It will start again in July, otherwise I'll have to cancel it.

I'm going to start back with the TEEX Death Investigation course, hopefully today, and then be back in the swing of things come July.

I wanted to say thank you, again, to everyone here for their words of wisdom and encouragement. I couldn't have gotten this far without you all.
TESU - BS in Homeland Security & Emergency Management (BS.HSEM) (In Progress) 
Started from scratch - 01/2019 - Completion - ??

Credits: 69/120
SDC: ENG-104, HIS-108, COM-102, COM-120, POLS-101, POLS-102, POLS-103, SOC-101, PSY-101, PSY-104, COMP-102, BUS-107, BUS-109 - 39cr
Sophia: Managing Conflict, Effective Teams, Student Success - 3cr
TEEX: Cyber 101, Cyber 201, Cyber 301, Basic Property Technician, Foundations of Fingerprint Comparison, Death Investigation - 19cr
Institutes: Ethics - 2cr
CSMLearn: The CSM Course - 3cr
ALEKS: College Algebra - 3cr
[-] The following 2 users Like Mil0's post:
  • badooble, Life Long Learning
(06-24-2019, 02:13 PM)Mil0 Wrote: I had paused my SDC membership in April and went to extend it again recently and found that it's already maxed out. I believe you can only pause it for 90 days at a time. It will start again in July, otherwise I'll have to cancel it.

I thought you could unpause it sooner, prematurely?
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(06-24-2019, 02:22 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 02:13 PM)Mil0 Wrote: I had paused my SDC membership in April and went to extend it again recently and found that it's already maxed out. I believe you can only pause it for 90 days at a time. It will start again in July, otherwise I'll have to cancel it.

I thought you could unpause it sooner, prematurely?

I think Mil0 was trying to pause it longer than 90 days.  However I will say that I once canceled my Study.com for nearly 6 months and when I came back I did not lose any of my already completed coursework - so you can cancel it and move onto anther provider/platform and return when you're ready to get back to them.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(06-24-2019, 02:29 PM)allvia Wrote: I think Mil0 was trying to pause it longer than 90 days.  However I will say that I once canceled my Study.com for nearly 6 months and when I came back I did not lose any of my already completed coursework - so you can cancel it and move onto anther provider/platform and return when you're ready to get back to them.

Ah, gotcha!
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(06-24-2019, 02:13 PM)Mil0 Wrote: Just an update and a word of advice to anyone else.

Don't take a break if you don't have truly need to take one. I am finding it nearly impossible to get motivated. I still can't believe that I completed 66 credits in ~2 months. I could have been done by now (aside from the final credits I need from TESU). I know that it would have been a nightmare if I had kept taking classes but I should have just done the minimum 2 per month at SDC during that time.

Now it feels like I'm starting from the beginning where I didn't know where to start! I had paused my SDC membership in April and went to extend it again recently and found that it's already maxed out. I believe you can only pause it for 90 days at a time. It will start again in July, otherwise I'll have to cancel it.

I'm going to start back with the TEEX Death Investigation course, hopefully today, and then be back in the swing of things come July.

I wanted to say thank you, again, to everyone here for their words of wisdom and encouragement. I couldn't have gotten this far without you all.

I don't think this is good advice for everyone.  I took breaks because I just didn't have the money to continue.  I also took breaks when life got in the way, and I couldn't concentrate on schoolwork.  I took breaks when my kids had summer vacation, because I wanted to spend more time with them.  There are lots of good reasons to take breaks.  I sometimes found that after a nice break, I was recharged and refreshed and ready to start again with renewed enthusiasm.  That's the nice thing about doing college this way - you get to fit it into your life instead of the other way around (and being chained to a particular school's academic calendar).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-24-2019, 05:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't think this is good advice for everyone.  I took breaks because I just didn't have the money to continue.  I also took breaks when life got in the way, and I couldn't concentrate on schoolwork.  I took breaks when my kids had summer vacation, because I wanted to spend more time with them.  There are lots of good reasons to take breaks.  I sometimes found that after a nice break, I was recharged and refreshed and ready to start again with renewed enthusiasm.  That's the nice thing about doing college this way - you get to fit it into your life instead of the other way around (and being chained to a particular school's academic calendar).

That's why I said if you "don't really need to take one". All of the things you listed are perfectly acceptable reasons to take a break. There is a reason that "regular" schools have breaks (winter, spring, summer, etc) but as we're adults and set our own schedules, we don't necessarily get those scheduled breaks and scheduled times to resume again.  

I'm just saying that for me, it has been hard to get back into it. I feel the whole "where do I even start?" thing all over again. 

That being said, I just took 2 hours and completed one of the newer TEEX courses and all I needed was some online accountability and now I'm at 69 credits.
TESU - BS in Homeland Security & Emergency Management (BS.HSEM) (In Progress) 
Started from scratch - 01/2019 - Completion - ??

Credits: 69/120
SDC: ENG-104, HIS-108, COM-102, COM-120, POLS-101, POLS-102, POLS-103, SOC-101, PSY-101, PSY-104, COMP-102, BUS-107, BUS-109 - 39cr
Sophia: Managing Conflict, Effective Teams, Student Success - 3cr
TEEX: Cyber 101, Cyber 201, Cyber 301, Basic Property Technician, Foundations of Fingerprint Comparison, Death Investigation - 19cr
Institutes: Ethics - 2cr
CSMLearn: The CSM Course - 3cr
ALEKS: College Algebra - 3cr
Mil0 Wrote:I'm just saying that for me, it has been hard to get back into it. I feel the whole "where do I even start?" thing all over again. 

That being said, I just took 2 hours and completed one of the newer TEEX courses and all I needed was some online accountability and now I'm at 69 credits.

Woo Hoo! You go girl! That's 69 credits right there, it'll get the ball rolling nicely again...
BTW, I assume that was the Death Investigation course? Awesome, keep up the good work.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-24-2019, 07:05 PM)Mil0 Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 05:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't think this is good advice for everyone.  I took breaks because I just didn't have the money to continue.  I also took breaks when life got in the way, and I couldn't concentrate on schoolwork.  I took breaks when my kids had summer vacation, because I wanted to spend more time with them.  There are lots of good reasons to take breaks.  I sometimes found that after a nice break, I was recharged and refreshed and ready to start again with renewed enthusiasm.  That's the nice thing about doing college this way - you get to fit it into your life instead of the other way around (and being chained to a particular school's academic calendar).

That's why I said if you "don't really need to take one". All of the things you listed are perfectly acceptable reasons to take a break. There is a reason that "regular" schools have breaks (winter, spring, summer, etc) but as we're adults and set our own schedules, we don't necessarily get those scheduled breaks and scheduled times to resume again.  

I'm just saying that for me, it has been hard to get back into it. I feel the whole "where do I even start?" thing all over again. 

MilO,

Keep us informed of your HSEM progress.  It sounds neat. Big Grin

Reference: TESU - BS in Homeland Security & Emergency Management (BS.HSEM) (In Progress).
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,184 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,539 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,932 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 232 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 499 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 391 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 730 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 247 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 210 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor