Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!)
(01-20-2019, 01:48 PM)allvia Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 12:18 PM)Mil0 Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 12:06 PM)allvia Wrote: Keep in mind that if they end up as electives (or anything non AOS) there are far cheaper ways to gain back those 27 credits than paying $88 Per Credit to have them converted (27 credits is only 9 courses/exams).

Thanks for this reminder!! I just went to double check as well because for some of the FEMA IS courses to count as 1 credit hour, you have to take 2-5 classes. Luckily it turns out it is $88/per credit hour and they've got them combined properly, at least. 

Since finishing the TEEX courses, I have so much free time that I'm sitting here waiting. I'm still trying to figure out the ALEKS secrets that a couple of people have posted about, which I just don't understand. I'm tryin to figure out what math class I should take from ALEKS that will cover my 3 or 4 math credits that are needed but I'm not sure which class will translate and is the easiest out of what would count. It's not that I am trying to avoid working hard, it's just that if I don't need to take a really hard course, why bother! 

If anyone has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it!

All the Big 3 take NCCRS credits, and since you need both gen eds and electives I'd recommend you use this free time while you wait for which school works best for you to take some courses through OD (https://www.onlinedegree.com/) - $9 for 3 credits (expect Cooking - it's a 2 credit elective), work at your own pace (as most things posted here are).

I'd recommend you try the FREE ethics course (see the wiki) - I believe it is currently set to expire at the end of this month - so grab it while you can, and if you do opt for TESU it will meet the Ethics requirement (they apply a waiver for the one credit difference), it will just be applied elsewhere for the other Big 3 schools.

Also ALEKS is only one (very cheap) ACE option for your needed math credit. I personally did a few with them and then my Statistics with SL (I was never going to pass the ALEKS Stats - at least not in any affordable time frame)  - so I wouldn't worry about that one subject at this time as it applies to the Big 3.

Edit: as far as the TESU program you posted about (https://www.tesu.edu/watson/bs/homeland-security), other than the Area A 6 Required AOS courses, the rest can gained through alternative methods we talk about here, including the B Area of Study Electives. And that just with a quick glance - it is possible that some of the Required AOS may have alt sources as well.

Thank you! I'm going to check out OD and see what courses I can knock out from there. I really need to figure out my degree plan so that I can make sure I'm taking things that make sense or will translate properly but for some reason, this is all super intimidating. I think it's because college was always something that wasn't even worth discussing in my family because we were generally just trying to make sure we had food to eat the next day. It's crazy how much things have changed now and where I've gone in life but that still doesn't get rid of the old baggage you pick up while growing up!
(Yesterday, 12:23 AM)Mil0 Wrote: I thought with Aleks, you take a course and then once you're at 70%+, you take a test and if you score above 70%, you're done. Is that how it works or no?

It used to be that when you hit 70% on an assessment or knowledge check you were done and you could just request credit. Now, when you complete an assessment (either the initial assessment or a knowledge check while you're learning) you will be prompted to take a second assessment known as an "ACE Knowledge Check." This additional assessment requires the use of a custom "lockdown" browser, which is intended to ensure academic integrity by locking down your system while taking the assessment (making it effectively semi-proctored). In any case, if you can complete the ACE knowledge check within the given time limit and achieve at least a 70% overall score, you pass the course and can submit the request for credit through ACE.
Working On: BSBA Capstone @ TESU – Complete! (waiting on final grade)
Up Next: MBA ITM @ WGU; also considering OMSCS @ GA Tech or PhD @ EBS Heriot-Watt

BSBA in Computer Information Systems @ TESU (118.68 of 120 SH done, graduate March 2019)
ASNSM in Computer Science @ TESU (complete, graduate March 2019)

B&M CC: 8.68cr, CLEP/DSST: 15cr, Study.com: 57cr, Straighterline: 19cr, ALEKS: 9cr, TEEX: 6cr, The Institutes: 2cr, Sophia: 2cr
(Earned 92 credits over 10 months, Jan-Oct '18)
(Yesterday, 03:18 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(Yesterday, 12:23 AM)Mil0 Wrote: I thought with Aleks, you take a course and then once you're at 70%+, you take a test and if you score above 70%, you're done. Is that how it works or no?

It used to be that when you hit 70% on an assessment or knowledge check you were done and you could just request credit. Now, when you complete an assessment (either the initial assessment or a knowledge check while you're learning) you will be prompted to take a second assessment known as an "ACE Knowledge Check." This additional assessment requires the use of a custom "lockdown" browser, which is intended to ensure academic integrity by locking down your system while taking the assessment (making it effectively semi-proctored). In any case, if you can complete the ACE knowledge check within the given time limit and achieve at least a 70% overall score, you pass the course and can submit the request for credit through ACE.

That sounds pretty good to me. I'm fine with taking a test and earning the credit that way. It is just a lot easier to find courses I can work through while I'm deployed to an area that may not have testing sites open due to recent disasters.
Yes, that is how it works with ALEKS, so for $19.99 i'd give it a shot, but it does take longer to complete than just taking a single test like a CLEP
TESU BALS: Started Aug. 2018
TESU Capstone remaining: Feb. 2019
Completed:
TESU: Cornerstone 1cr Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College Composition IC up to date? Does it matter? rackcity92 0 54 01-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Last Post: rackcity92
  What Happens Next: The Future of College (Short Documentary) pws 4 183 01-14-2019, 11:18 AM
Last Post: rvm
  Regionally accredited college accepting online credit transfer scarlett5477 62 3,011 01-12-2019, 10:09 AM
Last Post: tesu-acct-student
  Discounts/Promotions for College Credit harrypotter 1 248 01-11-2019, 12:22 AM
Last Post: harrypotter
  What does the College Algebra test look like on the screen? matermultorum 11 683 01-04-2019, 09:07 PM
Last Post: mysonx3
  Best online college to complete TESOL certificate please? dannyasingh26 0 91 01-04-2019, 04:42 AM
Last Post: dannyasingh26
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 30 33,149 12-23-2018, 04:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  15% and 50% who start college finish with BS. Life Long Learning 7 226 12-17-2018, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Luna Community College on Show Cause from HLC armstrongsubero 7 263 12-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Virginia College Abruptly Closes elbebopkid 14 478 12-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Last Post: MSK9