Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curious - TESU BA/BS Psych
Hi All,

Having graduated with a BSLA from EC in 2016, I'm still pondering an educational next-step. I don't feel ready for a Masters program, but have thought about a making a lateral move to another Bachelor's. I'm curious as to what credits I would need for a TESU BA/BS in Psychology.

From what I've gleaned from JSD's Wiki, it looks like I'd need...
Research Methods
Statistics
Physiological Psych
2nd Social Psych
History and Systems of Psych
Capstone

All but the Capstone seem available through self-study (Study.com, etc.) - for me, that's definitely Smile .

Being a math-o-phobe, I avoided Statistics like the plague Blush , but would consider trying some type of self-paced, start-at-the-very-beginning math course just to test the waters - something like ALEKS.

For anyone willing to take a look, here are my accumulated credits.

Thanks so much!

1980s- 1991
Humanities
East West Humanities
Western Humanities
Elementary Spanish 1 & 2
Intermediate Spanish 1 & 2
Ethics

Social Sciences
Western Civilizations 1 & 2
American Government
Cultural Anthropology
US History Part 1
Natural Science/Math
Elementary Algebra
Intermediate Algebra
Earth Science
Biology
Electives
Orientation to Education
Introduction to Computers
Typing

2011-2016
CLEP
Introductory Psychology
Human Growth & Development
Introduction to Educational Psychology
American Literature
English Literature
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
Straighterline
English Comp I & II
DSST
Intro World Religions
Substance Abuse
Here’s To Your Health
UXCEL
Abnormal Psychology
Social Psychology
Gerontology
Psychology of Aging
BYU
Sports Psychology
Tor College
Eastern European Jewish Immigration (History)
Info Literacy - Excelsior
Excelsior Liberal Arts Capstone
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
I thought Stats through ALEKS was awful, I would recommend just going through Study.com if you're going to be using them anyway.

You need 24cr in the AOS, so you'd have to take the 6 courses you listed plus 2 more.

I personally wouldn't recommend spending the money on a Psych degree, as I don't think you'll get anything out of it. Another liberal studies degree, in an area where a BA isn't helpful, is just not a good use of your money. Instead, I would take the courses listed, just so you have a really solid base, and then look into a master's degree instead. If you want to work with your Psych degree, there just is no one asking for a BA in Psych - they want a MA minimum.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-27-2019, 10:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I thought Stats through ALEKS was awful, I would recommend just going through Study.com if you're going to be using them anyway.

You need 24cr in the AOS, so you'd have to take the 6 courses you listed plus 2 more.

I personally wouldn't recommend spending the money on a Psych degree, as I don't think you'll get anything out of it.  Another liberal studies degree, in an area where a BA isn't helpful, is just not a good use of your money.  Instead, I would take the courses listed, just so you have a really solid base, and then look into a master's degree instead.  If you want to work with your Psych degree, there just is no one asking for a BA in Psych - they want a MA minimum.
So sorry for the late reply - thanks so much for your input. I don't plan on using the second degree for any job-related purposes - just personal growth/enrichment. As I work slowly (see my Avatar Big Grin ) I thrive within the independent study format so was trying to come up with a goal that reintroduced me to the educational "game" while playing to my strengths. Since Study.com seemed to have most of the credits I would need for a Psych BA, I thought I would attempt a course or two. Regarding math - I haven't taken a math course in decades, so I'd need to start at the 1 +1 =2 Wink level and thought ALEKS might be a good place to begin. I've also looked at Khan Academy, but am open to suggestions. As I've said, I'm just at the thinking/considering stage.

Question: You mentioned that I'd need 24 credits in Psychology for a BA from TESU. Does that exclude the Psych courses I've already taken? I have a depth in Psych from EC.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to respond!
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
The statement about no one looking for a BA in psych is false. I have many years of experience of looking for jobs that want a psych degree because I have a related degree. I've, literally, applied to hundreds of jobs that specifically mentioned wanting a bachelor's in psychology. 

Now, can you get those same jobs with a BS in liberal studies? Yes, but you'll need to demonstrate that you've taken a significant amount of coursework in human services-related subjects. So, I don't think you need a BA in psych, but if you didn't already have a degree, I would have recommended psych over liberal studies. Liberal studies, general studies, interdisciplinary studies, and general studies programs should ALWAYS be absolute last resorts.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Personal growth and development - you can pile on TONS of excellent psychology courses through the MOOCs (ed X has a ton).
But a degree costs a bunch of cash. On top of the credit you'd need to earn- are you sure you don't want to think about your career?
(05-01-2019, 05:01 PM)sanantone Wrote: The statement about no one looking for a BA in psych is false. I have many years of experience of looking for jobs that want a psych degree because I have a related degree. I've, literally, applied to hundreds of jobs that specifically mentioned wanting a bachelor's in psychology. 

Now, can you get those same jobs with a BS in liberal studies? Yes, but you'll need to demonstrate that you've taken a significant amount of coursework in human services-related subjects. So, I don't think you need a BA in psych, but if you didn't already have a degree, I would have recommended psych over liberal studies. Liberal studies, general studies, interdisciplinary studies, and general studies programs should ALWAYS be absolute last resorts.

I was generally talking about getting a BA in Psych on top of a BS in Liberal Arts with a depth in Psych (so like 12+ credits).  It makes no sense to do that, you're not going to get a big boost.

(05-01-2019, 04:50 PM)SuZQ2 Wrote: Question: You mentioned that I'd need 24 credits in Psychology for a BA from TESU. Does that exclude the Psych courses I've already taken? I have a depth in Psych from EC.

You need 24 NEW credits in the major.  Including or excluding the Psych courses you've already taken doesn't matter.  7 courses that you've taken SINCE the previous degree was conferred.  Plus the capstone gives you 24cr.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 725 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,983 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 272 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,161 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 569 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch