Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSST The Civil War and Reconstruction - Help
I passed with 68!! PTL! :hurray: This could be my last DSST (depending on what I do for electives) so I'm happy. :-D But sad to have finished testingSad...it's so fun!! hilarious More detailed feedback is coming... Wink
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Okay, here's the promised feedback Big Grin

I spent about 2 weeks studying for this test and got 68.

Resources: Instantcert, SEF and study guides posted there, DANTES Test Prep Study Guide, Sparknotes, Snazzelfrag's notes, basicversity.com PTs

Tips: online resources are all you need, though a textbook would be helpful.
—I barely got through IC once
—the SEF proved invaluable, as always. There's a neat list of battles, generals and outcomes posted there. The tips are spot-on.
—I copied and pasted the Civil War and the Reconstruction Sparknotes into a document that I made into a PDF, to read when I didn't have Internet. Those were great! The Reconstruction SN is especially helpful for that part of the test. There are also 50-question quizzes for both the "Civil War" and "Reconstruction" sections. Take those!! I got 82% on the CW one and 74% on the Reconst. one.
—the DANTES Test Prep Study Guide was amazing!! Despite poor grammar, it was so helpful. You can download it for free. It also has a 50-question practice test, on which I got 88%.
—Snazzlefrag's notes are a neat, condensed version of all the important facts from the IC cards
—I didn't get to watch the Ken Burns documentary, though I would've liked to! It's free online, just so you know Wink
Civil War and Reconstruction Flashcards––very thorough.
List of BasicVersity tests on the subject of Dsst has several short PTs which I took the night before my test. They're too easy (except the one on Names) but a good way to make sure you know what you need to know! There were 1 or 2 things I learned here that I wasn't able to find elsewhere.
—a "gotta-know" list I wrote up:

Here are important things to know:

McClellan's faults
Sherman waged total and psychological war
Copperheads, their leader (Valladingham) and their motto
Wirz of Andersonville POW camp was only CSA soldier executed by US
Carpetbaggers—some were politicians, some wanted to help
Clara Barton helped on the battlefield but hadn't yet founded the Red Cross
Women helped a lot though the US Sanitary Commission
Women helping with Confederate war effort
There were ~620,000 casualties
Antietam was the bloodiest day
Antietam gave Lincoln the chance to issue the Emancipation Proclamation
Emancipation Proclamation—how Lincoln justified it, and what kind of document it was
Custer's role in the Union army
Custer seized CSA supplies at Appomattox Court House
Lee planned to join Johnston at Davis
Rivers in the East and those in the West
Speaker Pro Tempore Wade would've become pres after Johnson
What Johnson's Reconstruction plans entailed
The 7 original CSA states
4 more states seceded after Lincoln called for troops
Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri—border states
Kentucky was neutral but soon joined the Union
Webster favored the Compromise of 1850
Minie balls and rifles were used in the war
Confederates escaped to Mexico after the war
Especially important battles: anything that stood out, strategies of winner, why loser lost, plans of Lee and opposing Union general,
-Chancellorsville
-Fredericksburg
-Shiloh
-Vicksburg (cut Confederacy in 2)
-Antietam
-1st and 2nd Bull Run
-Atlanta
-Savannah
-Chickamauga
Lincoln's reelection plans
How Lincoln felt about the war in 1861
Lincoln's primary goal was to save the Union
Buford held an important position and bought time for the Union at Gettysburg
Shenandoah Valley—USA Sheridan vs. CSA Jeb Early
Jeb Early's threatening of Washington DC
Ft. Sumter started the war
Secession wasn't mentioned in either the USA or CSA Constitutions
What Jefferson Davis' CSA Conscription Act said
Blacks serving in armies of both sides
Lincoln told Horace Greeley he wanted to preserve the Union above all
William Lloyd Garrison founded "The Liberator"
McClellan's peace platform in the 1864 elections
There were TWO CSA Johnstons!! AS Johnston who died at Shiloh and Joseph Johnston in the East first, then Atlanta against USA's Sherman
How Johnson and Congress felt about the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments
Kansas-Nebraska Act's impact
John Fremont was the Republican nominee in 1856
Freeman's Bureau and all it did for the blacks and poor whites
Compromise of 1877 included Republicans pulling troops out of the South
What happened to abandoned land in the South—who got control of it and who it was given to
Dred Scott decision—if it was referenced
Lee's invasion of the North ended poorly at Gettysburg
Some pro-slavery arguments tried to use the Bible for justification
Lee surrounded Hooker at Chancellorsville
John Brown killed 5 people in Kansas before Harper's Ferry
Command of Army Act said all orders to the military had to come through Grant
Meade was the Union General at Gettysburg
What the Compromise of 1850 said
The new Fugitive Slave Law was the South's favorite part of the 1850 Compromise
Terms of surrender given by Grant to Lee were lenient
Johnson's "swing around the circle" speeches had the opposite effect of what he'd hoped and put Republicans in power
California's statehood was in the Compromise of 1850
Lee's win in the Peninsular Campaign was ironic because if it hadn't happened the war would've ended with much less devastation of the South and slavery would've survived
War Democrats vs. Peace Democrats
Britain & USA almost went to war over the "Trent" affair
Definition of "Paper blockade"
Most soldiers on both sides were volunteers
CSA paid for war mostly by printing money
USA Grant, Sherman & Buell vs. CSA Johnston at Shiloh
Wilmot Proviso proposed outlawing slavery in territory won in the Mexican War
Bread Riot in Richmond was the worst
Lincoln's assassination was a conspiracy by John Wilkes Booth
Harriet Beecher Stowe had some firsthand experience with slavery when she wrote "Uncle Tom's Cabin"
Sherman was pretty harsh with the South on his March to the Sea
Relationship between Lincoln and McClellan
McClellan was fired after the Peninsular Campaign
Union General Pope was surprised at his loss to Lee at 2nd Bull Run
Hampton Roads Peace Conference
Chesapeake Bay—location and any significance
Jefferson Davis fled after Lee surrendered
Grant and Lee first met at Wilderness
Lincoln stressed that Vicksburg was "the key"
Grant was promoted as a result of his Vicksburg victory
How siege/fall of Petersburg affected siege/fall of Richmond
Start of the Republican party and their position on slavery
Chickamauga was the last Confederate victory in the West

—more than a passing knowledge or interest is needed to pass this one; they do go into some obscure details. But have no fear; study up on the above mentioned resources and you'll be well on your way to victory! Have fun!
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Did you take the Peterson's practice tests and if so, how did your scores on it compare with the score you got on the actual exam? We're trying to gauge if I am ready to take it. I've gotten 62 and 63 on the first two Peterson's exams.
spyg93 Wrote:Did you take the Peterson's practice tests and if so, how did your scores on it compare with the score you got on the actual exam? We're trying to gauge if I am ready to take it. I've gotten 62 and 63 on the first two Peterson's exams.
I didn't take the Petersons so I can't say, sorry. The PTs I took were the Sparknotes ones, the basicversity.com ones, and the DANTES Test Prep one. Of those, the Sparknotes ones were the most accurate. From your Petersons scores, I'd say just a little more study and you'll be ready. Hope that helps! Smile
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
That is outstanding feedback!
The sparksnotes really are the bomb for this test. Free on the net, only $5 a book in print!

Awesome feedback Westerner.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
alram Wrote:That is outstanding feedback!
rebel100 Wrote:The sparksnotes really are the bomb for this test. Free on the net, only $5 a book in print!

Awesome feedback Westerner.
Thank you both!!! This board has been really essential to me, especially for my DSSTs, so I'm happy to give back Big Grin Agreed on the Sparknotes Cool
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
I haven't watched them

but here's 27 lectures for anyone who's really interested in the subject
The Civil War and Reconstruction Era, 1845-1877 - Academic Earth
My subscription has expired so I can't put anything in the specific feedback section. I took the Civil War test today and got a 66. Took about 45 minutes, 112 questions. In addition to the flashcards and the sparknotes website, I did watch the Ken Burns documentary first, which I wish I would have done some preliminary studying first so I would have understood the film more. The documentary was good but does not cover the important stuff you need to know that happened before and after the civil war--that's were the sparknotes really came in handy.

Westerner's post #22 is perfect, the best feedback ever! Not the easiest test, but certainly not the hardest either. This was my last test!!!
Clep's Passed: Humanites 70, Sociology 60, Psy 74, HG&D 61, EP 64
DSST's Passed: World Religions 480, Vietnam War 67, Environment & Humanity 67, M&B 64, MIS 449, Org Beh. 64, CJ 437, SA 450, USSR 64, CW 66,
Penn Foster: Fin. Man.
Did all the aleks stuff
TESC: Lib. Cap, BA in Social Science December 2013
Congratulations, bluespecial!! Cool
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,478 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,189 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,121 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  Liberty University Online BS in Physics and BS Civil Engineering armstrongsubero 2 1,554 04-11-2021, 12:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DANTES to DSST natshar 9 1,721 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  DSST Principles of Public Speaking MrsIrie 12 2,914 09-04-2020, 10:55 PM
Last Post: momofminis
  DSST World Religion Exam HELP hjborn@yahoo.com 4 1,352 06-08-2020, 06:09 PM
Last Post: hjborn@yahoo.com
  Score of 300 dsst natshar 5 1,568 03-05-2020, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DSST Biz Ethics UL vs SL Biz Ethics LL? etc. SCYankee 8 1,541 02-27-2020, 04:06 PM
Last Post: SCYankee
  Sophia/CLEP/DSST Info Tech exams = all same? SCYankee 2 1,394 02-22-2020, 05:36 PM
Last Post: SCYankee