Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decision Time - Straighterline, CLEP, DSST, or Study.com
Hello Everyone,

I intended to take the CLEP and DSST exams some time ago and have been a paying member at Instacert for much too long for not having done it. So, wasted money so far, but now is the time to get it done. 

I have three classes left at APU for a Bachelors, and since I first looked at credit by exam options a few years ago, AUP added Straighterline, Excelsior, and Study.com

I am mostly concerned about time investment against likely hood of success. For testing or classes my choices are:

Straighterline
Introduction to Business
Satisfies: BUSN100

Study.com
Introduction to Business (Business 100)]
Principles of Marketing  (Business 102)
Satisfies: MKTG201 Fundamentals of Marketing
Principles of Supervision (Business 111)
Satisfies: MGMT101 Principles of Supervision

Excelsior
Principles of Marketing

CLEP
Principles of Marketing

DSST
Introduction to Business
Principles of Supervision
Satisfies: MGMT101 Principles of Supervision

These are the only options offered by APU as able to transfer or credit by exam. 

I've read a few posts about Study.com since this forum is the only place I have found that provides any details on the process. Most of the posts made it sound pretty straight forward to use Study.com, but I can't tell if the final for the course exams are a proctored test or not. I live in a somewhat rural location, so having to travel for exams is something I would like to avoid. 

I can take the one CLEP exam locally at a community college, but DSST exams require at least an hour and a half commute. I have yet to look into Straighterline, so if anyone has any details on this source like course difficulty, time investment, proctored exams or not, or any other worthwhile info I would appreciate it. Also, I have yet to look at Excelsior, so any feedback on their tests and process would help.

Thanks for any assistance or information you can provide.
All the options you provided require proctoring, Study.com uses RPNow (recording your session with camera), StraigherLine uses Proctoru (realtime/person reviewing your work while you exam), CLEP/DSST are at a test center so you'll have someone/people proctoring and supervising the exam.  The easiest option would be to do everything at Study.com as they've got the 3 you need plus it would use the easiest and most recommended proctoring option, less interaction with a person, less issues with proctoring software as well.  1 month subscription of $199 gives you two exams, an extra exam during that month is $70.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I believe both Study.com and Straighterline use video proctored exams.

However, Sophia.org offers ACE recommended courses and uses typing biometrics for their proctoring. I suggest looking into Sophia if you haven't already. They're quite affordable too.
(08-28-2020, 03:27 PM)BitWiseGuy Wrote: I believe both Study.com and Straighterline use video proctored exams.

However, Sophia.org offers ACE recommended courses and uses typing biometrics for their proctoring. I suggest looking into Sophia if you haven't already. They're quite affordable too.

Hi BWG, 

Sophia is not an accepted/tranferrable option with my school unfortunately. The options I provided are the only ones that American Public University accepts. 

Thanks for the info on the proctoring.

(08-28-2020, 03:27 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: All the options you provided require proctoring, Study.com uses RPNow (recording your session with camera), StraigherLine uses Proctoru (realtime/person reviewing your work while you exam), CLEP/DSST are at a test center so you'll have someone/people proctoring and supervising the exam.  The easiest option would be to do everything at Study.com as they've got the 3 you need plus it would use the easiest and most recommended proctoring option, less interaction with a person, less issues with proctoring software as well.  1 month subscription of $199 gives you two exams, an extra exam during that month is $70.

Hi BJ, 

Thanks for the clarification on the exams. I don't have a problem with proctored exams at all. I just wasn't sure if Study.com or Straighterline would require that I go to a test center. Taking the exams at home is not an issue, except I don't have a webcam, but they are cheap enough. 

I am leaning towards Study.com as you suggested based upon the exact reasons you stated. Thank you for the details on their pricing. I didn't realize that they had a limit on how many classes I could complete for the monthly sub. Since APU is $890/class and each class is 8 weeks, even two months subscription is much cheaper with Study.com. 

If I take the DSST and CLEP it is about $150 each plus some travel costs for the exam. Cost wise if I can do Study.com quickly, then it is a less expensive option than those as well. 

Side question, do you think using the test prep with Instacert would be worthwhile as I prepare and take the Study.com courses?
(08-28-2020, 03:35 PM)dh5150 Wrote: BitWiseGuyI believe both Study.com and Straighterline use video proctored exams.

Hi BWG, 

Sophia is not an accepted/tranferrable option with my school unfortunately. The options I provided are the only ones that American Public University accepts. 

APU absolutely accepts Sophia.
https://www.apu.apus.edu/transfer-credit...9-or-later
I'm a big fan of Study.com and I personally would use them

CLEP is great if there's a testing center near you, if they're open right now, and if you can find a testing time that works for you. With Study.com you can take a test 24 hours a day with zero notice. That works better for me.

I have tried Straighterline and just didn't care for them. Sophia is good if they offer what you want but their selection is limited.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(08-28-2020, 04:32 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 03:35 PM)dh5150 Wrote: BitWiseGuyI believe both Study.com and Straighterline use video proctored exams.

Hi BWG, 

APU absolutely accepts Sophia.
https://www.apu.apus.edu/transfer-credit...9-or-later
Sophia only offers 1 of the classes/tests I need.
Introduction to Business

ACE Passing Score: 70% or higher
Effective Dates: 8/2014-7/2022

BUSN100 – Basics of Business
3 SH Undergraduate-Level Credit in Elective

(08-28-2020, 04:35 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I'm a big fan of Study.com and I personally would use them

CLEP is great if there's a testing center near you, if they're open right now, and if you can find a testing time that works for you. With Study.com you can take a test 24 hours a day with zero notice. That works better for me.

I have tried Straighterline and just didn't care for them. Sophia is good if they offer what you want but their selection is limited.

Thanks jsh,

As you mentioned, and I noted above, Sophia does only offer 1 choice. I will look into Sophia.
Sophia has Introduction to Business and Principles of Marketing which is a brand new course. Sophia is $79 a month. You can cram in as many classes as you can in that month as well. They also offer Principles of Finance and Business Law if you need more business courses.
I just looked at Sophia and am wondering what keyboard bio metrics are? Would I have to buy a new keyboard?

(08-28-2020, 04:46 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Sophia has Introduction to Business and Principles of Marketing which is a brand new course. Sophia is $79 a month. You can cram in as many classes as you can in that month as well. They also offer Principles of Finance and Business Law if you need more business courses.

Unfortunately, the list at APU of accepted Sophia don't show Principles of Marketing. Usually, APU will show the course/test, but then it will show what course it covers or if the particular course/test isn't accepted. I wonder, is P of M new at Sophia? Maybe APU hasn't updated it yet.
(08-28-2020, 04:50 PM)dh5150 Wrote: I just looked at Sophia and am wondering what keyboard bio metrics are? Would I have to buy a new keyboard?

I didn't need a special keyboard. It's a way to record your style of keystrokes at the keyboard.and if something goes add, they have a back up plan with your phone. I never needed the back up plan.

that sophia intro to marketing is so new I can't find it on ACE registry or sophia site.

InstantCert Academy has a marketing. It is ACE recommended. Maybe APU would take it? https://www.instantcert.com/credit_cours...-Marketing
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 896 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 524 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 174 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,347 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,596 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,440 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 746 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 333 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 360 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 322 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM