Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Desktop died, not sure what to do about computer
So my desktop died 2 weeks ago and I'm not sure what to get to replace it. I've looked at several models at various stores and I'm not a fan of windows 10 at all. Pretty much every brand I've played with has crashed or had some other problem. The one exception would be apple. I'm just not sure I want to drop that kind of money. I also don't like how their basic laptops only come with a 13 inch screen. For a thousand dollars I think they could do better. I've looked at Ipad Pros as well but I'm not sure it has the horsepower to run canvas or other online class software. I may need to take a class online this summer so I need something that can handle it.
Do you know what part of the computer has died? Replace that one part... or two that has broken (such as a burnt motherboard/processor).
If you would like to go with Apple and not break the bank, the Mac Mini is a great option... as you already have the Monitor, Keyboard/Mouse.
Further to that, if you wouldn't mind buying used, second hand options are available if you search online (craigslist or other sites).
FWIW, I like the 13 inch sized laptops, as the 14/15 inch I have is too large for portability and they're heavy for frequent travelers!!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Brian12 Wrote:So my desktop died 2 weeks ago ...

what does that mean ?

hard drive failure ?

pc overheated ?

what do you see on startup ?

you might be able to fix it by just replacing the hard drive -- $80

you could build a linux pc for $500

I have no idea how linux works with ProctorU or any other online services, but linux is fine for email, webbrowsing, programming, and office applications
The onboard video died. It's 16 years old so I'm not going to repair it.
If you like Macs, and are OK with a desktop, then I second the Mac Mini recommendation. Very economical, and you likely already have most of the accessories you need. I did that when I suddenly had a need to do iPhone programming. I was quickly and cheaply up and running.

Otherwise, you can still buy laptops with Windows 7 from Dell and other makers...but I don't really recommend doing so. They are usually old tech, and cost more than they are really worth.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
16 years is a great record. That machine died proudly. After a solemn, dignified funeral service, Smile consider this:

If you want to continue on with Windows, or you aren't sure - consider a second-hand off-lease desktop machine . Loads of them 2 or 3 years old with Windows 7. You can usually pay around $100 - 150 for them. My own desktop is an example. It's a true blue IBM, about 9 or 10 years old, running Windows XP - I've had it for about 7 of those years, never a problem. My son paid $58 for it. It came with a CD-read only drive and now has a CD/DVD RW drive as well ($30).

If a used PC doesn't appeal to you - the MAC Mini might. My son wore out his home PC - switched to the MAC Mini several years ago and has never looked back. I'll trust his opinion. He's a high-school computer teacher - programming, hardware, networking - the whole deal.

I'd offer you my laptop, but you wouldn't want it. 1988 Sharp PC4600, 286 processor, two 720K floppies, no hard drive, CGA monochrome. Strictly DOS. Still works 100% - now where did I put that danged VisiCalc disk? Smile

J.
Strictly speaking of laptops, here's a quickie.

Lenovo = Quality = H, Performance = M, Cost = H (outstanding deals on previous generation models)
Sony = Quality = H, Performance = L, Cost = H (good deals on previous generation models)
Asus = Quality = M, Performance = H, Cost = M
Dell = Quality = M, Performance = M, Cost = L
HP = Quality = L, Performance = M, Cost = L

Microsoft/Apple tend to have the highest quality but also with the highest cost. Microsoft Surface had some outstanding black Friday deals, might want to keep an eye out on this.

There's a few others in there Toshiba, Acer, MSI, off-brands. Personally wouldn't go with those unless it was a steal given the above options. The most stable laptops I've worked on are Lenovos by far. Worth the extra price tag in my opinion.
Buy a Raspberry Pi for 65 bucks and go.....cheapest options.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

icampy Wrote:Buy a Raspberry Pi for 65 bucks and go.....cheapest options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqBmfVUjh9I
icampy Wrote:Buy a Raspberry Pi for 65 bucks and go.....cheapest options.
I have one - also have a Beaglebone Black. They are great machines - particularly for experimenters or for single-purpose use, like TV streaming. However, if you're going for anything remotely like general use, you'd best be VERY familiar with Linux - most OS's available are Linux based. Android requires quite a shift in thought and come to think of it, there's Linux in its bloodline, too. There is a cut-down Raspberry Pi version of Windows 10 (one available free from Microsoft) but it's not the full-bore Win10 we normally get on PCs and the OP said he'd rather not have WIN 10 anyway. Some VERY tech-savvy people have made earlier Windows versions work on the Pi - or at least made the opening screen come up. Smile However, it requires one to be quite a high-order geek to get it going and I've never seen it work nearly as well as on a PC. Not suitable for daily use, as I see it.

For the money, these single-board computers are unbelievable, considering what was available a very few years ago. But there's a learning curve and limits to what they will do. The Microsoft NUC (Next Unit of Computing) single-board machine will run regular Windows 10, but it's considerably more money. By the time you buy one and all the add-ons, you could build a regular desktop. The only novelty here is small size. Unless you have patience, learning time and intend to do some serious experimentation, I don't see a Pi as a general replacement.

As I said before, there are other cheap options. If you need to be up-and-running quickly, try an alternate.

J.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The complicated, behind the scenes setup for American Pie's computer scene upgrayedd 0 437 11-09-2022, 11:58 PM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 748 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  MASTER |OF SCIENCE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE | Liverfool John Moores University akr680 0 799 08-18-2021, 05:37 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Questions re: ethics and computer network retraining SweetSecret 2 1,026 03-27-2020, 09:55 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  off topic- computer suggestion cookderosa 9 1,851 08-11-2018, 10:00 PM
Last Post: davewill
  This site now looks like an old school BBS on my computer. ELSADDIQ 6 2,646 08-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Can someone PLEASE help me with this computer specs issue?! soliloquy 10 1,950 01-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Last Post: homebrilliance
  computer use at work, and how many hours do people really work? SuzanneD 17 3,383 06-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  What kind of computer do you recommend? hicandle 42 4,666 01-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Last Post: hicandle
  Built a Fun Computer! OtherSyde 24 3,535 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Last Post: cookderosa