Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference between BSBA from TESU vs BABA from UMPI
So I'm curious about two related things here. I'm looking to ultimately take a MBA from WGU, or another school, but I need a bachelors first.
1. What is the difference between the bachelors of science vs a bachelors of arts and how will that relate to an MBA.
2. What are the main differences between the bachelors in business admin from TESU, vs UMPI? Are they different enough to worry about or just go for which one I can do in a speed and cost that I feel comfortable with?
Broadly speaking, a Bachelor of Arts has more general education (liberal arts) credits while a Bachelor of Science has more science or applied science credits. There are exceptions, but that's the general rule. For the most part, this means nothing. A Bachelor in Business Administration is "the same" degree regardless of whether it's Arts or Science.

TESU's BSBA is further accredited by the ACBSP while UMPI only has the school's regional accreditation. https://www.tesu.edu/about/accreditation For a small handful of employers/schools, this might matter. As far as I am aware, this does not matter to WGU nor even to most schools. All they will care about is that you have a Bachelor's degree in Business. If you do choose WGU, WGU's business program is ACBSP accredited as well (https://www.wgu.edu/student-experience/l...ation.html) so the programmatic accreditation (or lack thereof) won't matter once you get the WGU degree.

Pick the school & degree that feels right to you and don't worry about BA vs. BS.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • allvia, FastTrackDegree
BS generally means you took more science/math, while BA generally means that you took more humanities/social sciences. Completely meaningless most of the time, but definitely meaningless for a business degree - nobody cares if your GE courses were Art History or Biology.

Most business degrees have similar "core" requirements - about 10 courses. TESU and UMPI seem to both have these. I would choose based on speed and cost. Programmatic accreditation is not very important to most employers; if yours doesn't care, or you're getting an MBA, then I wouldn't worry about it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-26-2021, 09:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote: BS generally means you took more science/math, while BA generally means that you took more humanities/social sciences.  Completely meaningless most of the time, but definitely meaningless for a business degree - nobody cares if your GE courses were Art History or Biology.

Most business degrees have similar "core" requirements - about 10 courses.  TESU and UMPI seem to both have these.  I would choose based on speed and cost.  Programmatic accreditation is not very important to most employers; if yours doesn't care, or you're getting an MBA, then I wouldn't worry about it.

UMPI's BABA programs all have 12 courses in the business major (core) and then an additional 8 courses in the concentration. So it's 60 credits in business. Then there's 40 credits in the GEC (ged eds) and 20 credits in general electives which can be anything including more business. You can actually complete more than one concentration or add on a minor or three as well so that uses up your general electives.
(07-26-2021, 10:19 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 09:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote: BS generally means you took more science/math, while BA generally means that you took more humanities/social sciences.  Completely meaningless most of the time, but definitely meaningless for a business degree - nobody cares if your GE courses were Art History or Biology.

Most business degrees have similar "core" requirements - about 10 courses.  TESU and UMPI seem to both have these.  I would choose based on speed and cost.  Programmatic accreditation is not very important to most employers; if yours doesn't care, or you're getting an MBA, then I wouldn't worry about it.

UMPI's BABA programs all have 12 courses in the business major (core) and then an additional 8 courses in the concentration. So it's 60 credits in business. Then there's 40 credits in the GEC (ged eds) and 20 credits in general electives which can be anything including more business. You can actually complete more than one concentration or add on a minor or three as well so that uses up your general electives.

I was saying that in general, all BSB's have about 10 core classes in common.  Some schools will have more than that, some less, some will have minors/concentrations which will add onto it.  But I was offering the OP general info on ALL business degrees.

TESU's business core has 42cr and the AoS has 18cr - so 60cr total.  You can do an additional AoS if you want, using up the Free Electives area.  You can also do unlimited (?) undergrad certificates for several different things as well, so you could end up with a LOT of extra business credits if you wanted them.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-26-2021, 09:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote:  Programmatic accreditation is not very important to most employers; if yours doesn't care, or you're getting an MBA, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Even if someone cares, it's going to be AACSB, EQUIS, or AMBA they cared about.  No one in the real world gives two hoots about ACBSP.
(07-26-2021, 02:06 PM)Courcelles Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 09:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote:  Programmatic accreditation is not very important to most employers; if yours doesn't care, or you're getting an MBA, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Even if someone cares, it's going to be AACSB, EQUIS, or AMBA they cared about.  No one in the real world gives two hoots about ACBSP.

It's going to be AACSB and then ACBSP.  EQUIS only has 5 US schools and AMBA has 2, so if you want to talk about nobody giving 2 hoots, I'd go with those.

The main issue you will have with AACSB is if you're getting an AACSB MBA, they're going to want an AACSB BSBA - and if you don't have that, they're going to make you take some additional courses (I think I've seen them add on 9cr).  Some ACBSP programs will do the same for non AACSB/ACBSP business degrees.

But WGU doesn't care, so it really isn't going to matter for the OP at all.
(07-26-2021, 02:26 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

It's going to be AACSB and then ACBSP.  EQUIS only has 5 US schools and AMBA has 2, so if you want to talk about nobody giving 2 hoots, I'd go with those.

The main issue you will have with AACSB is if you're getting an AACSB MBA, they're going to want an AACSB BSBA - and if you don't have that, they're going to make you take some additional courses (I think I've seen them add on 9cr).  Some ACBSP programs will do the same for non AACSB/ACBSP business degrees.

That's an amazingly Ameri-centric statement.  The world is not the US.
To be honest, almost no one outside of academia cares about business programmatic accreditation. For someone living in the U.S., AACSB and ACBSP accreditation can make it easier to become a CPA depending on the state. The VA occassionally has positions that require or prefer AACSB or ACBSP accreditation.

An employer might be impressed by Wharton because it's Wharton, not because of its AACSB accreditation. An employer is not going to care that Podunk State University has AACSB accreditation.

With that said, I do like that TESU took the extra steps to earn ACBSP accreditation.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • ss20ts, Vle045
(07-26-2021, 02:35 PM)Courcelles Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 02:26 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

That's an amazingly Ameri-centric statement.  The world is not the US.

All of the schools were talking about are in the US. Real world is an expression. It does not mean the whole world. It means outside of the land of academia in the the job market basically.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 590 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 429 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,098 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 19,387 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,098 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  UMPI---Financial aid??? midnite123 4 716 01-15-2023, 04:00 AM
  Comp 2 umpi yourpace Mike Williams 3 712 01-01-2023, 09:57 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,977 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,321 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
  UMPI & Masters Degree midnite123 9 1,840 11-10-2022, 06:04 PM