Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI YourPace Computer Science
From the UMPI Board of Trustee's Meeting I have some AMAZING NEWS!!!! It got APPROVED by the Chancellor of UMPI, Dannel Malloy....... Being funded by 5‐year U.S. Department of Education Title III grant!!!  These courses were created in 2019 and are set to be released in late 2021! The degree is ging to be designed with NECHE standards and will be RA accredited.

PROJECTED to be released in 2023. 

The University of Maine of Presque Isle (UMPI) is seeking permission to offer a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (COS, B.S.). As described in the included proposal, the proposed Computer Science program will not only serve the demand for computer science professionals but also provide support for the many computer applications in business, healthcare, mathematics, data analytics, education, sciences, and new and social media. UMPI successfully received a 5-year federal Department of Education grant to fund the development of a Computer Science, Bachelor in Science program with concentrations in Software Development and Information & Data Management. The major will be offered both in a live modality and UMPI’s competency-based YourPace programming. 

The proposal was reviewed at all appropriate faculty and administrative levels at UMPI was reviewed and subsequently recommended by the Chief Academic Officers Council. Dr. Robert Placido, Vice-Chancellor of Academic Affairs recommended the program to the Chancellor. Chancellor Malloy signed his approval of the program on April 21, 2020.

https://www.maine.edu/board-of-trustees/...042220.pdf

they're expecting about 5 people a year to take it... I don't think they've heard of DegreeForum yet. I bet we'd flood them! 

They're going to be offering TWO Bachelor Computer Science degrees to YOUR PACE:

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science Software Development Concentration
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science Information and Data Management Concentration

Also coming soon to other Maine schools with an online concentration (these are planned for 5+ years out FYI so don't wait for these!)
Bachelor of Science in Health Administration Community Health Concentration
Bachelor of Science in Health Administration Health Informatics Concentration
Bachelor of Science in Environmental Geographic Information Systems Community Applications Concentration
Bachelor of Science in Environmental Geographic Information Systems Spatial Data Science Concentration

Note there are strong hints, that if this is a success, that Health Informatics will be added, and if that is a success, then they'll look into adding a medical degree next, most likely nursing.
[-] The following 10 users Like ashkir's post:
  • aleksa, asianphd, AwardTour, beautybella, bluebooger, CanICode, Holmes, jch, Life_One, robertsted
Goodbye TESU, Hello UMPI
[-] The following 3 users Like nyvrem's post:
  • ashkir, AwardTour, nomaduser
i wish they had hr
[-] The following 1 user Likes beautybella's post:
  • Vle045
(04-17-2021, 11:22 PM)nyvrem Wrote: Goodbye TESU, Hello UMPI
I'm excited for this! I think TESU needs to be knocked off their high horse, and so new comers to this field is great!

(04-17-2021, 11:40 PM)beautybella Wrote: i wish they had hr

B.A. in Business Administration – Management & Leadership is pretty close and pretty desirable for hR managers. Get this plus SHRM and you're golden. Shows that you're an HR LEADER.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • AwardTour
I've not looked to deep into UMPI, do they take study.com classes?
(04-18-2021, 02:12 AM)nyvrem Wrote: I've not looked to deep into UMPI, do they take study.com classes?

Yep.

Oh my goodness! I am so very tempted to wait for this. But I am also so close to being done at TESU. Argh!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Bachelor of Science in Environmental Geographic Information Systems Community Applications Concentration

Bachelor of Science in Environmental Geographic Information Systems Spatial Data Science Concentration

These look interesting

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • bluebooger
As per ashkir, don't wait for those as it's planned for 5 years out (or possibly more). I think the Comp Science option is great... a little late for me, but awesome choice for those who want another option other than the WGU BSCS for Comp Sci or BSSD for Software Development. Interesting offerings...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
This looks like a lifeline for international students who aren't accepted into WGU and are made to go through hoops at TESU. Thanks for the heads up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 262 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 215 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,305 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 572 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 397 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,209 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,061 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 626 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM
  LSU Online Computer Science JO37992 2 780 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  ASU's new online BS in Computer Science program nomaduser 8 2,197 03-02-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: davewill