Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI YourPace Computer Science
I would wager that most B&M university graduates with a CS degree know very little about programming or CS in general.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I discovered this forum from a comment on HackerNews. I dropped out of college many years ago but have been working professionally as a software engineer for the past few years due to a lot of luck. I'd like to change that and have an official CS degree (though I do have self directed CS education).

Anyways, the UMPI YourPace CS degree sounded exactly perfect for me. I sent an email enquiring yesterday about when it may be available. I got the following reply, which is disappointing. Maybe it's possible that Ms. Rice is not informed about the YourPace program, or maybe the original announcement in this thread was either a misunderstanding, or it was not actually approved.

The attachment reads:

Quote:Thanks so much for your email! I'm not sure whether UMPI will offer the Computer Science degree as a YourPace program in the future, but that's not the case right now. I will certainly let our Academics team know, though, about your interest should Computer Science be added to the YourPace lineup. Thanks very much,
Rachel

Rachel Rice
Director of Marketing and Communications
Marketing and Communications Office

Seems that I left off the attachment. Trying again -

Attached Files
.jpg   umpi-yourpace-cs.jpg (Size: 113.34 KB / Downloads: 31)
(07-15-2021, 03:02 PM)mahaganapati Wrote: Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I discovered this forum from a comment on HackerNews. I dropped out of college many years ago but have been working professionally as a software engineer for the past few years due to a lot of luck. I'd like to change that and have an official CS degree (though I do have self directed CS education).

Anyways, the UMPI YourPace CS degree sounded exactly perfect for me. I sent an email enquiring yesterday about when it may be available. I got the following reply, which is disappointing. Maybe it's possible that Ms. Rice is not informed about the YourPace program, or maybe the original announcement in this thread was either a misunderstanding, or it was not actually approved.

The attachment reads:

Quote:Thanks so much for your email! I'm not sure whether UMPI will offer the Computer Science degree as a YourPace program in the future, but that's not the case right now. I will certainly let our Academics team know, though, about your interest should Computer Science be added to the YourPace lineup. Thanks very much,
Rachel

Rachel Rice

Seems that I left off the  attachment. Trying again -

Ms. Rice is well knowledgable about the YourPace program. There is NOT a CS program in YourPace at this time. There maybe in the future. They didn't even have an on campus program until January this year! If you looked at the YourPace website you'd see there is not a CS degree at this time. 

https://online.umpi.edu/
(07-15-2021, 03:02 PM)mahaganapati Wrote: Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I discovered this forum from a comment on HackerNews. I dropped out of college many years ago but have been working professionally as a software engineer for the past few years due to a lot of luck. I'd like to change that and have an official CS degree (though I do have self directed CS education).

The attachment reads:

Rachel

Rachel Rice

Seems that I left off the  attachment. Trying again -

Yeah! I got an update on it too! They told me that they want to add it, but they don't have enough interest for it to be viable yet.
Strange that she doesn't know if it's going to be offered when they've already signed off on offering one. Hopefully, it's just missed communication. You could start working towards a UMPI CS degree anyway. Then switch to a TESU degree if you want to continue ASAP but it's still not available from UMPI.

(07-15-2021, 03:11 PM)ashkir Wrote: Yeah! I got an update on it too! They told me that they want to add it, but they don't have enough interest for it to be viable yet.

That seems odd. It's hard to show interest in a program that literally doesn't exist yet!

I know that we've had multiple people wanting their CS degree but it's just not available.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-15-2021, 03:13 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Strange that she doesn't know if it's going to be offered when they've already signed off on offering one. Hopefully, it's just missed communication. You could start working towards a UMPI CS degree anyway. Then switch to a TESU degree if you want to continue ASAP but it's still not available from UMPI.

(07-15-2021, 03:11 PM)ashkir Wrote: Yeah! I got an update on it too! They told me that they want to add it, but they don't have enough interest for it to be viable yet.

That seems odd. It's hard to show interest in a program that literally doesn't exist yet!

I know that we've had multiple people wanting their CS degree but it's just not available.

It's NOT been signed off on! People online jumped the gun and assumed it was a done deal.
@mahaganapati - Welcome to the board and don't be alarmed or disappointed just because UMPI doesn't have the degree you're looking for. Another CBE competency based education option would be WGU, you can max your transfer up to 90 credits, I can see people doing up to 84, 87 credits from alternative providers before deciding to go for their BS Comp Sci or their Software Development degree. Turn that frown upside down, don't fee bad, be glad there are options now that were not available before... In regards to the YourPace program, it may come out later, so start working on what you need that can transfer to both UMPI & WGU.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-15-2021, 03:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @mahaganapati - Welcome to the board and don't be alarmed or disappointed just because UMPI doesn't have the degree you're looking for.  Another CBE competency based education option would be WGU, you can max your transfer up to 90 credits, I can see people doing up to 84, 87 credits from alternative providers before deciding to go for their BS Comp Sci or their Software Development degree.  Turn that frown upside down, don't fee bad, be glad there are options now that were not available before... In regards to the YourPace program, it may come out later, so start working on what you need that can transfer to both UMPI & WGU.

WGU only works if you're in the US!
If they haven't seen interest in the self paced CS program, maybe the interested parties should reach out to UMPI to demonstrate their interest directly. Also refer them to this thread so they can see all the interest that's been building.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(07-15-2021, 03:10 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Ms. Rice is well knowledgable about the YourPace program. There is NOT a CS program in YourPace at this time. There maybe in the future. They didn't even have an on campus program until January this year! If you looked at the YourPace website you'd see there is not a CS degree at this time. 

https://online.umpi.edu/

Of course I've checked the current YourPace listings. I had asked Ms Rice if there were any plans for the CS program to be available sometime in the future through YourPace.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 210 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 176 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,204 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,163 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 3,876 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 599 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM
  LSU Online Computer Science JO37992 2 748 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  ASU's new online BS in Computer Science program nomaduser 8 2,118 03-02-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: davewill