Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dine College: $55 credit hour: Fall Reg. Begins June 22
I looked at the tweet and I went to the college site. I guess online registration means just that - you REGISTER online. End of.
I was unable to find ANY online courses -except one. A summer course 5 weeks on Navajo culture - not sure if it was a credit course. Synchronous delivery - ie. everyone has to be logged on at a specific time.

There was news that the school year was being finished online using ZOOM. I found no indication they're planning to extend online for distance-ed purposes beyond registered on-ground students.

Interesting note: applicants for the BA in Navajo Studies DO need "Certificate of Indian Blood." I don't think the Associate's does - didn't see it. Not a requirement for other courses, as far as I know.

BTW - reason I didn't take free DuoLingo - I want a certificate at the end. Found another course for $25 that offers one.
(06-22-2020, 11:20 AM)Johann Wrote: I looked at the tweet and I went to the college site. I guess online registration means just that - you REGISTER online. End of.
I was unable to find ANY online courses -except one. A summer course 5 weeks on Navajo culture - not sure if it was a credit course. Synchronous delivery - ie. everyone has to be logged on at a specific time.

Strange. The course catalog at https://www.dinecollege.edu/wp-content/u...May-26.pdf shows most/all of the courses are online.
Sorry! It does, too. It also shows maximum of 20-30 registrations allowed for most classes. I'm wondering if this is a response to COVID-19 so regular courses can continue by internet, rather than a foray into distance ed. for the larger community. I searched the site for "distance education" and "online etc" and got virtually nothing relevant.
I think they're still working on the whole online thing. The announcement about them being a 4-year institution now is only from August and it talks about them having a few courses online. The Navajo/Diné are a poor people in a remote area, often with little access to modern conveniences like the internet. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they haven't had much call for online classes before now.
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Johann, Tedium
(06-22-2020, 12:15 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I think they're still working on the whole online thing. The announcement about them being a 4-year institution now is only from August and it talks about them having a few courses online.

I think so, too. I'm sure nobody there has a short-term ambition of making the school an on-line giant. They're likely very busy putting regular/returning students' courses online so they won't have to be on campus more than can be helped. Schools everywhere are doing likewise. Maybe some other year, there might be something for outsiders.

BTW - It wasn't hard to figure out why certification of "Indian Blood" was needed for the Navajo Arts & Culture degree. There's a law - works of art, craft , etc. can't be called "Navajo" unless made by a Navajo person. I think other Native Americans have similar protection for their works. Many grads of this program will be producing art and craft works. So, it's a precaution against the possibility of non-natives passing off their work as "Navajo." Smart - and necessary - move.

Regardless of distance courses or lack of them, I still think this is a terrific school and serves its people well. Another good one with a different emphasis is http://www.navajotech.edu .
[-] The following 2 users Like Johann's post:
  • Muldoon, rachel83az
(06-22-2020, 11:20 AM)Johann Wrote: I looked at the tweet and I went to the college site. I guess online registration means just that - you REGISTER online. End of.

There was news that the school year was being finished online using ZOOM. I found no indication they're planning to extend online for distance-ed purposes beyond registered on-ground students.

Interesting note: applicants for the BA in Navajo Studies DO need "Certificate of Indian Blood." I don't think the Associate's does - didn't see it. Not a requirement for other courses, as far as I know.

BTW - reason I didn't take free DuoLingo - I want a certificate at the end. Found another course for $25 that offers one.
Do you mind sharing the course you found? I've been interested in Navajo culture also and haven't found anything local to me or online.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Diné College is a great school. Too bad it didn't turn out to be the bonanza for distance credit-crunchers that it might have been, but there are many DL opportunities in this part of the country at great prices. I'm thinking Clovis Community College, Rio Salado College and the ten or so schools of the Maricopa system. I'm sure all those and more have been discussed in the appropriate forums.

Cheers

(06-23-2020, 11:12 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Do you mind sharing the course you found? I've been interested in Navajo culture also and haven't found anything local to me or online.

No problem. Here it is: https://cudoo.com/products/languages/nav...e-level-1/

This is the language course. The 5-week synchronous online culture course is on the Diné College site.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johann's post:
  • ROYISAGIRL
(06-23-2020, 02:10 PM)Johann Wrote: Diné College is a great school. Too bad it didn't turn out to be the bonanza for distance credit-crunchers that it might have been, but there are many DL opportunities in this part of the country at great prices. I'm thinking Clovis Community College, Rio Salado College and the ten or so schools of the Maricopa system. I'm sure all those and more have been discussed in the appropriate forums.

Cheers

(06-23-2020, 11:12 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Do you mind sharing the course you found? I've been interested in Navajo culture also and haven't found anything local to me or online.

No problem. Here it is: https://cudoo.com/products/languages/nav...e-level-1/

This is the language course. The 5-week synchronous online culture course is on the Diné College site.
Thanks!!
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,092 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,350 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 311 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 622 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 188 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor