Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC?
Considering a Bachelor's in Cyber Security at COSC, but curious if there courses require a lot of writing papers. I am ok with writing papers, but I tend to prefer tests, labs, projects, etc.
Also curious about Excelsior...

Thank you.
Michael
COSC doesn't really allow alt credit these days. I mean, you'd be stuck with taking a bunch of classes with COSC itself. Excelsior or WGU (if you're not an international student) would probably be cheaper/easier.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-01-2022, 01:41 PM)rachel83az Wrote: COSC doesn't really allow alt credit these days. I mean, you'd be stuck with taking a bunch of classes with COSC itself. Excelsior or WGU (if you're not an international student) would probably be cheaper/easier.

Hello,

I don't really have an issue with taking the COSC courses--actually prefer to take them--especially those within my major, I was just curious if the classes often require a lot of writing papers. I took classes at one university online and there were papers almost every week--this is not my preferred way of learning.

Thanks
I would suggest WGU or PUG for Cybersecurity.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/PU...egree_Plan

COSC, everything has to be a B average, and there isn't a degree plan that would bring in all the credits needed for that degree.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • MichaelD
Charter Oak publishes recent syllabi for most courses, and these include representative schedules and basics of assignments.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • MichaelD
A Cybersecurity degree at COSC, Excelsior, TESU would be more expensive than the PUG, WGU options mentioned. You really need to decide on the degree/school of choice. I would only select Excelsior if you needed ABET accreditation as a secondary or programmatic recognition you're looking at for example. You may want to provide us more details by following the template and addendum here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-01-2022, 01:30 PM)MichaelD Wrote: Considering a Bachelor's in Cyber Security at COSC, but curious if there courses require a lot of writing papers. I am ok with writing papers, but I tend to prefer tests, labs, projects, etc.
Also curious about Excelsior...

Thank you.
Michael

Most people here choose a school/program where they can take the majority of their credits through alternative methods (avoid the school's courses) for both speed and lower cost. As a result, it is unlikely the courses that you would have to take at COSC for their bachelor in cyber security have been taken by members here. If you know what courses you must take with COSC I'd email them and see if you can gain access to those syllabuses; that will give you a much better idea of what is currently required for the classes by subject.  The same could be said about Excelsior - although you may want to post a thread on 'Excelsior BS Cyber Security questions'.  Even your heading here isn't clear you're asking about cyber security courses specifically - many may pass over it thinking you're asking 'in general'
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • MichaelD
One thing we do know for sure is that courses at Charter Oak itself are very, very costly.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
(08-01-2022, 02:19 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I would suggest WGU or PUG for Cybersecurity.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/PU...egree_Plan

From the linked Reddit post in the PUG degree plan:
  • Be prepared to WRITE. I did not expect this going in, but every course has a writing requirement (not necessarily every module). Networking? Write an upgrade plan/proposal. Algebra? Write. Linux? Write. Some courses were a paper every single module. Out of the 82 units I took, I probably had to write over 400 pages total. This worked out okay for me as I was actually an English major in a previous life. If you hate writing, you will hate this.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • ss20ts
At COSC, I only took 2 classes (cornerstone and business capstone) and wrote a couple of really low-level papers in cornerstone and 3 in the capstone. For the cornerstone, English comp 1 level. For the capstone, roughly English comp 2 level. COSC comes with a membership to tutor.com if you need to beef up your papers.
COSC AS 2019 - completed
COSC BSBA 2020 - completed
Cumberland School of Law M.S.L 2022 - completed
UA - MS Hospitality Management 2024 - in process

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
[-] The following 2 users Like withrown's post:
  • LevelUP, origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,683 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,285 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,644 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,621 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Does Cosc waive GE for second degrees or needs to be met? Kab 7 1,537 02-10-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Kab