Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Documenting My Journey: WGU BSIT-Security
*sigh* There's something wrong with both Chrome/Firefox, as I can't see any new posts on this thread since 11/5/2017.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
No issues with Chrome here.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

DONE!

Three and a half months at WGU, five months since obtaining my AAS, and I'm finally done! Just filed my graduation application this morning, and I've got a call with my mentor slated in a few hours.

I want to offer my sincerest thanks to everyone on this forum who provided me with any information about the DIY degree concept. Even moreso to those who really gave me the crash course into obtaining a degree fast and cheap. Prior to finding this site, I was looking at spending five more semesters and $15,000 more just wrapping up a Bachelor's. Instead, I spent $3,500 and less than a semester.

I'll have to make a new thread soon. I'm going to take a week off from researching school and do what I like...which is research and study. I've got a month to decide which hill to climb next, be it the MS Cybersecurity at WGU or an MBA at another school, but I haven't decided just yet.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
[-] The following 4 users Like Thorne's post:
  • davewill, Joeman200, jsd, quigongene
Congrats! I'm very happy for you and extremely grateful for the the assistance you've given me and other folks along the way!

Enjoy your break, and good luck with whatever comes next, school or otherwise.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Thorne
Awesome!!!!!! I love seeing people realizing their dreams. It's why I stick around here.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Thorne
Thorne, you’re amazing! Good job! You fixed my issue with that DONE post!
Congrats, I look forward to seeing what you decide for your graduate studies.
You and jsd have great info in your threads, I review them just in case I wanted a second undergrad degree from WGU, for now, I am undecided on a future goal.... good luck on your next set of studies.

(11-11-2017, 10:20 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: *sigh* There's something wrong with both Chrome/Firefox, as I can't see any new posts on this thread since 11/5/2017.

And it started happening again... with this thread... haha, every other thread works fine! *Weird*

OK, nevermind, I guess something fixed itself....

Congrats Thorne! Your thread and jsd's are great info/sources for people looking into WGU and their programs.
Good luck on your Masters, whichever one you decide on. BTW, why MBA at another school and not at WGU?

(11-15-2017, 05:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Congrats Thorne!  Your thread and jsd's are great info/sources for people looking into WGU and their programs.  
Good luck on your Masters, whichever one you decide on.  BTW, why MBA at another school and not at WGU?

I don't have the requisite experience for the WGU MBA. They want three years in business, and I'm interested in starting before I'd wrap those years up.

(07-03-2017, 12:54 AM)Thorne Wrote: Obvious as it may be, I was officially admitted to WGU with a start date of 8/1/17. I started with 9 classes, 35CUs remaining, having transferred in 88 credits from a mix of my IT certifications, my CC credits, and my work with StraighterLine. The course list and my thoughts or plans are listed below.
  • IT Foundations (A+ 220-901) -- DONE: Like I thought, this was a breeze. Due to scheduling issues and long drives, took me four days.
  • IT Applications (A+ 220-902) -- DONE: Also a breeze. Finished this early in the second week due to more scheduling issues and long drives. Four days total.
  • Business of IT – Project Management (Project+ PK0-004) -- DONE: Ended up taking the new test (PK0-004). Not hard, just a pain in the backside. Wrapped this up in 14 days.
  • Principles of Management -- DONE: Extremely easy. Took me four days, including my post-Project+ day off. I watched the 6 review videos on double speed (hour and a half total), took the PreA, then scheduled the OA the next night.
  • Spreadsheets -- DONE: Not really hard, not really easy. I also didn't learn much functional information about Excel. 6 days on this one, due to the time it took to get it approved and scheduled after my mentor went MIA from Harvey (he's back and kicking, thank God).
  • Database Management - Applications -- DONE: Everything I heard about this class was true. Absolutely horrendous material with no good alternatives, badly formatted coursework, and a lot of ambiguity. To top it off, the Pre Assessment was rather different from the OA, as the PreA focused on theory and the OA focused on SQL. I've got an abbreviated version of the course material in my Drive folder that I'll pass on to whomever has to take it. I still wouldn't call the class hard, just really tedious. 22 days total.
  • Operating Systems I (Linux+ LX0-103) -- DONE: This was a much easier test than I thought, due to it being very technical rather than theoretical. 17 days.
  • Operating Systems II  (Linux+ LX0-104) -- DONE: Again, very technical and fairly easy. Just used the CBT Nuggets course + the uCertify practice exams. 5 days.
  • IT Capstone Written Project -- IN PROGRESS: I've got until 1.31.18 to finish, but I don't see any reason why I shouldn't plan to be done by the end of November.

I'm much farther ahead of schedule than I had initially planned. It looks like I'll finish the last course by the end of November, which puts me at about 3.5 months from enrollment to graduation, and about 5 months of studying after community college. I do need to figure out exactly what comes next education-wise. I'm deciding between the WGU MS Cybersecurity and Information Assurance degree, a BSBA with a long-term goal of an MBA, or jumping straight into an MBA.

Hello, I am just starting my journey with WGU (hopefully 3/1) and am tentatively looking at the BSIT degree.  I may change it to security, haven't decided yet.  I just received my transcript review and I'm bringing in 61 credits from my AAS. I've worked IT for 5 years so I feel pretty prepared for this journey.   I have to take many of the classes you have listed here, plus a few more.  Is there any way I can get the Database Management study materials you have?  Reading your experience has me a little worried about this course.

Thanks!
(01-23-2018, 04:31 PM)bigmac58 Wrote: Hello, I am just starting my journey with WGU (hopefully 3/1) and am tentatively looking at the BSIT degree.  I may change it to security, haven't decided yet.  I just received my transcript review and I'm bringing in 61 credits from my AAS. I've worked IT for 5 years so I feel pretty prepared for this journey.   I have to take many of the classes you have listed here, plus a few more.  Is there any way I can get the Database Management study materials you have?  Reading your experience has me a little worried about this course.

Thanks!

Here you go: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0IG9a...zVtak5SSWc

Best of luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 371 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU - Network Engineering and Security B.S. Which path should I take? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 4 617 11-11-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Brandon.Thomas.Downer
  Career Question, Business Management or Cyber Security? Oneautumn7 22 1,592 08-06-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Oneautumn7
  Which certs do you need to complete the BSIT? IceSparkle 11 1,556 04-14-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  WGU Computer Science degree vs Cyber security indigoshuffle 8 2,149 01-10-2023, 10:01 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Starting the WGU BSCSIA journey, early 2023 raekwon 5 1,125 01-04-2023, 12:31 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  New BS in Network Engineering & Security on its way raekwon 12 2,659 07-05-2022, 03:36 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
Star MNOMADIC WGU BSIT Thread MNomadic 32 5,785 01-16-2022, 01:34 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  My WGU BS-CSIA Journey Life_One 19 6,202 04-01-2019, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Life_One
  BS IT Security at Western Governors University (WGU BSITSECU) Strategy help timmmay 19 5,929 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Last Post: timmmay