Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double major at tesu
Hey guys,.    Does anyone know how double majors work at tesu? I know if it's in the same school you don't have to redo the ge classes and the capstone counts for both majors. However how does the aos part work?? I'm finishing my degree in liberal studies and am considering a second degree in psychology but not sure how it works
That's right if you're going for two BA's it's better to double major instead, you just need to get the second AOS completed, the General Education - first 60 credits are identical, in fact, the third year 27 credits of FREE electives can be identical as well along with the Capstone (90 credits total).

So, the only difference would be the Area of Study in the Majors. If you plan the courses well enough to allow overlapping of these 90 credits, you only need 30 credits to have a double major. For example, BA Psychology + BA Liberal Arts, you just need to have 120 total to have both majors in one degree.

2 AOS 1 Degree Blog: https://blog.tesu.edu/the-secret-to-earn...ond-degree
TESU Award Policy Link: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • abs_co, LongRoad
I did a History/English degree with 120 credits so you definitely can do it without any extra work. You're basically just replacing some of your electives with a second concentration
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(04-15-2020, 06:00 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: I did a History/English degree with 120 credits so you definitely can do it without any extra work. You're basically just replacing some of your electives with a second concentration
Thanks! That's what I was wondering if the electives and AOS for the second major are how you do it.

(04-15-2020, 02:03 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's right if you're going for two BA's it's better to double major instead, you just need to get the second AOS completed, the General Education - first 60 credits are identical, in fact, the third year 27 credits of FREE electives can be identical as well along with the Capstone (90 credits total).  

So, the only difference would be the Area of Study in the Majors.  If you plan the courses well enough to allow overlapping of these 90 credits, you only need 30 credits to have a double major.  For example, BA Psychology + BA Liberal Arts, you just need to have 120 total to have both majors in one degree.

Thanks I wasn't sure if I read that right. Essentially u need to cover the aos for the second degree, or 24 units if it according to the link u attached. I was curious since I'm almost done with one degree I'm going look at my credits and see. I can't grad till dec cuz grad fee cost, but I'll be done before that. With all the free classes at Sophia... thought maybe I won't have too many left for a psych degree too. Wish I had thought of this before ??‍♀️
Are there any degree plans for psych on there that are updated? I tried searching I didn't find them. I went into my degree plan at tesu and out in psych for a general idea. It looks like 30 units/10 classes. I'm still debating since I cant grad till December I'm looking into options to tack on a extra degree of I can. Psych was ideal for my last job interview and it's interesting.
I was hoping the Sophia classes might be if use but they aren't.
I mapped out some class options but idk if it's correct for the major
Your best bet is probably going to be Study.com. Head over there and look at the transfer page and see what comes in and how and you can go from there
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(04-15-2020, 02:03 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's right if you're going for two BA's it's better to double major instead, you just need to get the second AOS completed, the General Education - first 60 credits are identical, in fact, the third year 27 credits of FREE electives can be identical as well along with the Capstone (90 credits total).  

So, the only difference would be the Area of Study in the Majors.  If you plan the courses well enough to allow overlapping of these 90 credits, you only need 30 credits to have a double major.  For example, BA Psychology + BA Liberal Arts, you just need to have 120 total to have both majors in one degree.

For double major, do we need to do two capstones?
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017
(05-04-2020, 01:25 PM)asianphd Wrote:

So, the only difference would be the Area of Study in the Majors.  If you plan the courses well enough to allow overlapping of these90 credits, you only need 30 credits to have a double major.  For example, BA Psychology + BA Liberal Arts, you just need to have 120 total to have both majors in one degree.

For double major, do we need to do two capstones?

No you do not need two capstones for a double major. you only need two capstones for two different degrees.

But according to your signature you already have two bachelors degrees. TESU does not grant a third bachelors degree and they are extremly strict on this. Idk how it works with international degrees but I am not sure you will even be allowed to get a bachelors at TESU.
So BJCheung or anyone else who might want to chime in, let me see if you can answer this:

I am registered to take my TESU BSBA Capstone at the beginning of June. Upon completion, I will have met all prerequisites to graduate with a BSBA in HR/OrgMan and a ASNSM in Computer Sci.

Glancing at my Academic Evaluation, I currently have 101 credits towards a BA in Liberal Arts. Is there anyway I can graduate with all three at the same period? I feel like I can easily knock out 24 credits towards the BA-LA through Sophia and SDC.

Thoughts, recommendations? Currently, obtaining the BSBA and progressing to a Masters is my focus, but if its a minimal amount of effort for a second degree, it seems like common sense to pursue it.
Current Course(s): Business Administration Capstone BUS-421 (TESU)

AMU (9); CSM (3); CLEP (15); DSST (3); InstantCert (15); Institutes (3)Military (51); Sophia (6); Straighterline (15); Study.com (6); Thomas Edison State University (3); University of Alaska (12)
(05-04-2020, 08:06 PM)Not_a_robot_101 Wrote: So BJCheung or anyone else who might want to chime in, let me see if you can answer this:

I am registered to take my TESU BSBA Capstone at the beginning of June. Upon completion, I will have met all prerequisites to graduate with a BSBA in HR/OrgMan and a ASNSM in Computer Sci.

Glancing at my Academic Evaluation, I currently have 101 credits towards a BA in Liberal Arts. Is there anyway I can graduate with all three at the same period? I feel like I can easily knock out 24 credits towards the BA-LA through Sophia and SDC.

Thoughts, recommendations? Currently, obtaining the BSBA and progressing to a Masters is my focus, but if its a minimal amount of effort for a second degree, it seems like common sense to pursue it.

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing BSBA/BA Liberal Studies at one point. I don't think it is worth it.

Yes, you can do that but you would need to factor in the cost of 16 credits for the BA and 3 credits for the liberal arts capstone at TESU which will cost money. Also, you can't start the LA capstone until you most of the AOS done which you would need to UL ASAP. Also, there is the fact you probably wouldn't want the capstones to overlap. And the fact that the capstone is 12 weeks long and would make your push your graduation date back even more. Also, a BA in liberal studies won't really do much for you especially if you already have a BSBA. Also, once you do the LA capstone you'd be at 9 credits at TESU, and at that point, it might be worth getting to 16 credits to avoid the wavier. The cost of 8 additional credits is similar to the cost of the wavier and even less if you get aid.

You don't need 24 credits that are only if you earn the BSBA first and come back for the BA. (which I don't recommend because then you would have to pay the wavier fee again.) Unless you don't have 24 credits between the two degrees AOS then you do. But either way 19 or 24 doesn't change much.

If you want add another degree you can get a (pointless) ASBA or AA in Liberal Arts for free you probably already have it done. You probably wouldn't put it on a resume but if you want another diploma for no extra money then why not. You can only choose one though AA or ASBA as Tesu only allows two associates.

You can also add a math AOS to your ANSM computer science pretty easily you might not need any more math at all. Or maybe just calculus. But if you need more math aleks precalc and csm and are cheap and fast. This wouldn't be an extra diploma just an extra major.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 437 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 422 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 435 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,262 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 246 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,177 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 226 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 354 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 295 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 270 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27