Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Degree at UMPI
No, they won't make you take the same courses, you'll have to take electives. For example, you need 6 courses for the second degree and 4 electives to make 10 courses. Generally speaking, those electives should be something different than what you've taken already that may or may not go into the degree major or concentration. You don't need to repeat any courses.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Pikachu
learningthehardway Wrote:So in other words, I would literally have to retake some of the classes I have already completed? crap. I might just do the TAMSU or whatever its called for a 2nd degree. I am okay with taking 30 extra but not the same courses lol.

No, you won't be retaking classes... 
It'll be your 6-7 BABA classes + whatever classes for whatever concentration you selected. I seriously doubt that you have already completed requirements for all possible concentrations, so no, you won't end up taking 3-4 random classes. You will be taking classes for the concentration.

(06-15-2022, 07:43 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: No, they won't make you take the same courses, you'll have to take electives. 

No, there are no electives for the consecutive degrees. The first degree gets electives waived! All the new classes MUST be in major and concentration. It is a requirement. If a student is unable to do that, then they simply can't get second degree. Again, I doubt that OP already took all possible classes for all possible concentrations. They could easily pick 1 or 2 concentrations to meet the second degree requirements.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
[-] The following 1 user Likes NoStudentNoCry's post:
  • ss20ts
(06-15-2022, 12:01 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I have a BLS with 3 minors including Management. I also have a BABA with the Marketing Concentration. The BLS was much faster and easier for me to complete. I was also the first student on here to complete an UMPI degree so we didn't have the info we have today. Most of the BABA courses are not included in the BLS with Management Minor. There's only 6 courses in the minor and many more in the BABA. The BABA with Marketing Concentration didn't exist when I was in the BLS program. If you already have a BABA I don't know that you can go back for a BLS.
Yes, and thank you for being the proverbial Guinea pig with UMPI.  You are certainly one of the people who inspired me to attend UMPI, so I owe you some gratitude. 

I understand that the BLS was faster for you (and would be faster for the OP). If I understood correctly, your plan was to get through with your degree quickly and then, when UMPI rolled out the BABA with Marketing concentration, you decided to go back to UMPI for the second degree. If memory serves, you said it would be faster and cheaper than getting a graduate degree in marketing. If my memory and understanding of your situation is correct, all of that makes perfect sense. I was not trying to be critical of you or anything; I hope you don’t think I was. 

I am still curious why OP feels the need to earn two bachelors degrees very close in time to one another and with a similar focus. Don’t get me wrong, I have 2 BA’s—a 15+ year old BA in history and a 6 month old BA in Accounting/Business Administration. I needed an accounting degree to basically formalize changing career fields and getting the second BA was the best, fastest, and cheapest way for me to do that. 

So, what is the case for earning both the BLS and BABA?  Would finishing them BLS perhaps a couple of months earlier than a BABA help secure a job or promotion that requires a degree?  

If OP ultimately wants a BABA, why not go straight to the BABA?  Why even consider a UMPI BLS and a TAMUC BA?  I just don’t see the utility from an employment or subsequent/graduate educational standpoint in the BLS in that situation.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 2 users Like freeloader's post:
  • carrythenothing, origamishuttle
(06-15-2022, 09:15 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(06-15-2022, 12:01 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I have a BLS with 3 minors including Management. I also have a BABA with the Marketing Concentration. The BLS was much faster and easier for me to complete. I was also the first student on here to complete an UMPI degree so we didn't have the info we have today. Most of the BABA courses are not included in the BLS with Management Minor. There's only 6 courses in the minor and many more in the BABA. The BABA with Marketing Concentration didn't exist when I was in the BLS program. If you already have a BABA I don't know that you can go back for a BLS.
Yes, and thank you for being the proverbial Guinea pig with UMPI.  You are certainly one of the people who inspired me to attend UMPI, so I owe you some gratitude. 

I understand that the BLS was faster for you (and would be faster for the OP). If I understood correctly, your plan was to get through with your degree quickly and then, when UMPI rolled out the BABA with Marketing concentration, you decided to go back to UMPI for the second degree. If memory serves, you said it would be faster and cheaper than getting a graduate degree in marketing. If my memory and understanding of your situation is correct, all of that makes perfect sense. I was not trying to be critical of you or anything; I hope you don’t think I was. 

I am still curious why OP feels the need to earn two bachelors degrees very close in time to one another and with a similar focus. Don’t get me wrong, I have 2 BA’s—a 15+ year old BA in history and a 6 month old BA in Accounting/Business Administration. I needed an accounting degree to basically formalize changing career fields and getting the second BA was the best, fastest, and cheapest way for me to do that. 

So, what is the case for earning both the BLS and BABA?  Would finishing them BLS perhaps a couple of months earlier than a BABA help secure a job or promotion that requires a degree?  

If OP ultimately wants a BABA, why not go straight to the BABA?  Why even consider a UMPI BLS and a TAMUC BA?  I just don’t see the utility from an employment or subsequent/graduate educational standpoint in the BLS in that situation.

At the time, none of us knew what to expect with UMPI. I was the guinea pig so to speak. The BLS definitely seemed like the easiest and fastest to complete with the credits I had. Then I kept adding minors. That slowed me down. I did go back for the BABA only because they added the marketing concentration. If it wasn't for that I definitely wouldn't have gone back for a second bachelor's. I wouldn't recommend going for the BLS then the BABA. I'd recommend going for the BABA. It doesn't take much longer - maybe 1 session, 2 tops - to complete the BABA. If your'e going to complete the BABA courses why not just do it and get it over with?
(06-15-2022, 09:15 PM)freeloader Wrote:

Ding ding.

The BLS will allow me to get a pretty nice raise in my current position. All that was needed for a promotion was an associate. So I got the Pierpont BOG. The BLS gets me a raise. Just needed a BA in any field. Doesn't matter. The BABA gets me another promotion, but not a raise. It's a lateral move. So I rather get the raise thr fastest then make the lateral move verse wait longer for the raise and lateral move. 

Hope that clarifies. Cheers.
Pierpont Community and Technical College - BOG A.A.S. Spring 2022 
University of Maine at Presque Isle - BLS with a Concentration in Management (In Progress)
Course Breakdown: Local Technical College: 21 Credits, Sophia Learning: 73 CreditsStudy.com: In Progress, UMPI: In Progress
I want to say thank you to EVERYONE for their assistance. You all are awesome!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 4 176 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 112 Yesterday, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  Undergraduate Degree Liberal Studies w/ a Minor in Psychology molov 4 205 04-21-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 243 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 260 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 2 125 04-19-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,488 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  BLS Degree Options Question dm.hans32 3 235 04-17-2024, 10:17 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,430 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 466 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1