Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Major Computer Science & Liberal Studies
If I did dual areas of study with liberal studies and computer science, would they send two separate diplomas upon graduation? Also how hard would it be to get a second degree with the liberal studies tack on? If I am correct I can use 9 credits of upper-level credit from my computer science degree and I also plan on taking social psychology in the fall so that should be the 15 credits of upper-level credit I need to fulfill all requirements.
It is one diploma. One capstone. One degree.

Kind of pointless honestly, I'd leave it off a resume. But if you already have it done then I don't see why not get it. Really no reason to not if getting it as simple as e-mailing advising. Just e-mail advising to them to add it your your degree if you already planned in Social Psych then you should be able to see for yourself if it is complete.

Another idea is to do TEEX death investigation (only $75 and can be done in a day) and you might just be able to get a Liberal Studies Social Science concentration instead of just normal Liberal studies. I think with all your credits all you need is the UL TEEX and Social Psych you will have the SS concentration done.

At least then a social science concentration wouldn't be as pointless as a generic liberal arts degree. Maybe ask them to add a social science concentration liberal studies.

BA Liberal Studies with a concentration is social science.
(07-25-2020, 11:04 PM)natshar Wrote: It is one diploma. One capstone. One degree.

Kind of pointless honestly, I'd leave it off a resume. But if you already have it done then I don't see why not get it. Really no reason to not if getting it as simple as e-mailing advising. Just e-mail advising to them to add it your your degree if you already planned in Social Psych then you should be able to see for yourself if it is complete.

Another idea is to do TEEX death investigation (only $75 and can be done in a day) and you might just be able to get a Liberal Studies Social Science concentration instead of just normal Liberal studies. I think with all your credits all you need is the UL TEEX and Social Psych you will have the SS concentration done.

At least then a social science concentration wouldn't be as pointless as a generic liberal arts degree. Maybe ask them to add a social science concentration liberal studies.

BA Liberal Studies with a concentration is social science.
I look into that thanks!
A BALS is a bit of a waste if you're getting a different AOS. I would either skip the second AOS entirely or choose a different one.
(07-25-2020, 10:39 PM)maxxor6868 Wrote: If I did dual areas of study with liberal studies and computer science, would they send two separate diplomas upon graduation? Also how hard would it be to get a second degree with the liberal studies tack on? If I am correct I can use 9 credits of upper-level credit from my computer science degree and I also plan on taking social psychology in the fall so that should be the 15 credits of upper-level credit I need to fulfill all requirements.

It is a waste of time to try to do a dual AoS degree with a BALS and anything else. The BALS is a checkbox major and will be ignored with any other focus. That said, if you can do it for effectively no extra effort, then feel free...it isn't much different than getting a "free" associate degree tagged on. Neither one will do anything for you professionally or academically given you'll have the BACS as your primary degree.

The big rub with dual AoS is that while you can have 9 credits of overlap between the two degrees, those credits include the capstone. So, it is really just 6 credits (two courses) of overlap since the capstone is required either way.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I'm not sure why anyone would do this? I certainly would not - there's zero point to doing it.

I would never water down a good degree with something "less" than.

Just get the CompSci degree and be happy with it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-26-2020, 09:21 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm not sure why anyone would do this? I certainly would not - there's zero point to doing it.

I would never water down a good degree with something "less" than.

Just get the CompSci degree and be happy with it.

Oh I 100% agree.  

But in this case if OP will already have liberal studies done then why not do it. But I don't see the harm of doing it it requires no effort, cost or money. Even if it is left off a resume.

It's like when I got my third associates in general studies after when I already had an associates in liberal arts. There was no point. But when I found I had all the classes done or was already planned to take. All I needed to do was add on 3 credits next semester but it actually made sense because with those 3 more credits I got more financial aid anyways. Taking 3 more credits actually saved me money. So I did the research talked with and an advisor and filled out a form because why not? Plus with aid and everything that third associates cost -- $300 meaning I got paid $300 for the degree. And that wasn't for one semester it was -$300 overall. Aid covered all my tuition and then some. If I didn't add the 3 credits which got me the AGS, my cost would have $500 I believe. OP is kind of in the same boat. They are only taking social psych at TESU to get to 16 credits and basically pay no money out of pocket after aid. Might as well get something for it.

(07-26-2020, 04:47 AM)Merlin Wrote: The big rub with dual AoS is that while you can have 9 credits of overlap between the two degrees, those credits include the capstone. So, it is really just 6 credits (two courses) of overlap since the capstone is required either way.
So then I guess he will have to take TEEX death investigation to get to enough UL credits. But at least then he'd have the choice of either NSM or SS concentration.

I suggest SS in a prior post but I feel Natural Science Concentration makes more sense. As long as the UL comp sci count as UL for NSM.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 359 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,756 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  BA Computer Science Final upper class to take Armstrong 17 971 01-11-2024, 01:04 AM
  Almost finished with dual CIS/CS degree - HELP! ACI 22 2,014 01-04-2024, 03:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 603 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,326 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM