Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EC 12 credit residency?
I'm not up on EC, can someone confirm my understanding of this Excelsior College fees and tuition - excelsior.edu does EC require 12 credits taken in house at a rate of $390/cr?
Not exactly. If you pay the higher enrollment fee ($1015) you do not need to take any EC classes. If you pay the Excelsior Course Option enrollment fee ($395) then you must take a minimum of 12 EC courses.
Ann in Baton Rouge

BALS--Thomas Edison State College
December 2012
For the reduced enrollment fee of $395, you are required to take 12 credits at EC for $390 each.

The better option (for many of us who have transfer and credit-by-exam credits) is the Multi-source enrollment fee of $1015. This does not require any credits to be taken through EC except the 3 credit capstone course.

And the Student Service Annual fee is not charged for the first year.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
got it guys, thanks!
I second what NAP said.
If you start in the "Excelsior Course Option" and decide to switch to the "Multi-Source Option" during the first year you only have to pay the difference between enrollment fees and you don't have to re-enroll.
The graduation fee is reduced $15 for each course you take and (I think) the cost of each exam is slightly cheaper if you're enrolled with Excelsior as opposed to an outside student (I think it's $5-$15 cheaper but don't quote me on it).
A third way is to enroll with one of Excelsior's partnership/alliance programmes. This is similar to the Excelsior source option (12cr residency requirement).

It drops the enrollment and graduation fees and also the per credit fee for EC courses. Since a BA/BS with EC effectively involves a six credit residency now, this isn't a bad deal at all. Six credits would cover: the one credit LL Info policy/plagiarism course, the three credit UL capstone course and the two cr UL research and writing in the major course.

This leaves open two, three-credit courses which would probably be best spent on UL courses not available through testing out (or interest courses for GPA, etc).

I enrolled through a partnership programme and enjoyed the opportunity to take a couple of extra courses. Was enrolled while a research and writing waiver was still available. Hope this makes sense!
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,892 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,534 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,097 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Residency waiver @ TESU MNomadic 8 2,717 08-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Residency waiver for certificates Ideas 2 1,324 08-26-2018, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Saylor/TESU Discount Residency Waiver Fee for ASBA jumpstart 7 3,087 08-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Mab81
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 27,072 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,706 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 2,026 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Capstones and Residency Waivers rlw74 15 3,548 07-13-2018, 11:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore