Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ENG301 Non Western Literature
Hi, I plan to take this study.com course late this summer and wanted to read all the books in the mandatory reading list for the course prior to taking the course, but unless registered with them, there is only a partial list provided. Is there any other place that has the full list, it is just a list of books, I wanted to have a summer read and at the same time prepare for the course, or will study.com send me the list if I ask them on email? 
Or if anyone has already taken the course if they can post the list? Thanks
I found this on Google. I don't have an account so I can't see all of it, but maybe it's a start for you? If you have an account, maybe you can see the full list? I hope this helps in some way. I couldn't find much on Google unfortunately. Maybe check reddit?

https://study.com/academy/lesson/mandato...ature.html
The full list is as follows:

Quote:Poetry - Please read each of the following poems:
  • The following poems by Mahmoud Darwish:
    • 'Diary of a Palestinian Wound'
    • 'Light rain in a distant autumn'
    • 'I see what I want'
    • 'Identity Card'
  • The following poems by Shaimaa al-Sabbagh:
    • 'A Letter to My Purse'
    • 'I am the Girl Banned from Christian Religion Classes'
  • Mengistu Lemma - 'Longing'
  • Leopold Senghor - 'Night in Sine '
  • Ingrid Jonker - 'The Child is Not Dead'
  • Ki no Tsurayuki - 'The Japanese Preface'
  • Ghalib - 'It Was Essential'
  • David Diop - 'Africa '
Short Stories - Please read each of the following short stories:
  • Chinua Achebe - 'Chike's School Days'
  • The following short stories by Saadat Hasan Manto:
    • 'Bu'
    • 'Toba Tek Singh'
  • Ama Ata Aidoo - 'Two Sisters'
  • Lu Xun - 'A Madman's Diary'
  • Yukio Mishima - 'Patriotism'
  • Pandita Ramabai - 'The High Caste Hindu Woman'
Novels - Please select two of the following novels to read:
  • Randa Jararr - A Map of Home
  • Khaled Hosseini - The Kite Runner
  • Chinua Achebe - Things Fall Apart
  • Sahar Khalifeh - Wild Thorns
Graphic Novels - Please read the following:
  • Marjane Satrapi - Persepolis
Non-Fiction - Please read both of the works below:
  • Edward Said - 'Orientalism'
  • Chandra Talpade Mohanty - 'Under the Western Eyes: Feminist Scholarship & Colonial Discourses'

In addition to the reading, you will have to do 3 assignments to complete the course. In case you can't see them, they are as follows:

Assignment 1:
Non-Western literature studies expand our understanding of the world around us. Through this course, you have learned about the experiences of people from other cultures and the effects of colonialism and westernization on non-Western cultures. For this assignment, write 2,000 to 2,500-word essay that responds to one of the prompts below.
Prompt
During this course, we examined Western ideas about non-Western cultures and non-Western perceptions of Western culture. The following prompts will reflect how these observations are reflected in literature.
  1. Select a piece of literature written by a non-Western author and one that was written by a Western author that contains at least one non-Western character from the same country as the first literary work. Summarize and analyze the characterization techniques used in each piece. Discuss how each of the authors describes non-Western characters. Describe the challenges of accurately depicting characters of another culture.

2. Analyze and compare 'Chike's School Days' and Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. Discuss the effects of westernization on the characters and provide specific examples from each text that exemplify the author's tone about colonialization. Examine the impact of Western influences on the culture and traditions of Nigeria. Evaluate efforts to preserve Nigerian cultural heritage.

Assignment 2:

While learning about non-Western literature in this course, we examined gender issues in literature through the lens of postcolonial feminist theory. For this assignment, you will write a 2,000 to 2,500-word essay in response to one of the prompts below that includes quotations and text evidence from more than one non-Western text.
Prompt
Non-Western literature is often misinterpreted by those from Western cultures because of the tendency to apply our experiences and beliefs to other cultures. These essay prompts require you to analyze gender issues in context of literature.
  1. Compare 'Two Sisters' by Ama Ata Aidoo to The High Caste Hindu Woman by Pandita Ramabai. For each literary work, summarize the text and provide an analysis of the characterization of male and female roles. Critique the evaluation of assigned gender roles in each literary work through Western feminism as compared to a postcolonial feminist view.

2. Select two pieces of literature from different non-Western authors. Summarize each work and identify specific examples of the male gaze influence on each work. Describe the impact the male gaze has on literature and culture. Explain the challenges authors face when creating realistic depictions of characters from other genders, races, and cultures.

Assignment 3:
Studying non-Western literature exposes the Western reader to religious, philosophical, and cultural views that are vastly different from the Western experience. This assignment will examine religion in non-Western literature through a 2,000 to 2,500-word essay about one of the prompts below.
Prompt
Non-Western literature and culture are heavily influenced by religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism, and Islam, and these religions may be minimally familiar to many Western readers. These prompts will examine religion and philosophy in non-Western literature.
  1. Select two pieces of literature from the same region from the mandatory reading list. Summarize and analyze how each literary work is influenced by religion. Identify allusions to religious works and ways in which the author incorporates religious symbols. Reflect on the effect religion has on the tone and mood of the story.

2. Compare how Shaimaa Al-Sabbagh's 'I am the Girl Banned from Christian Religious Classes' and Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner incorporate religion to characterize the philosophies of the cultures. Analyze and determine the impact of religion on the characters and their decisions. Cite quotes and text evidence to support conclusions about the impact of religion on culture.

For ALL assignments, the following applies:

Formatting & Sources
Please write your paper in the MLA format. As part of your research, you may refer to the course material for supporting evidence, but you must also use at least four credible, external sources and cite them using MLA format as well. Please include a mix of both primary and secondary sources, with at least one source from a scholarly peer-reviewed journal. If you use any Study.com lessons as sources, please also cite them in MLA (including the lesson title and instructor's name).

Primary sources are first-hand accounts such as interviews, advertisements, speeches, company documents, statements, and press releases published by the company in question. Secondary sources come from peer-reviewed scholarly journals, such as the Journal of Management. You may use like JSTOR, Google Scholar, and Social Science Research Network to find articles from these journals. Secondary sources may also come from reputable websites with .gov, .edu, or .org in the domain. (Wikipedia is not a reputable source, though the sources listed in Wikipedia articles may be acceptable.)
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Clepper43, Ideas, RachelB

Thank you so much!! This helps a lot. I emailed them but they said I need the accelerated subscription to see the book list.
I just wanted to see if I had read some of the literature.
Some of the questions in the sample exam are from books and short stories not even in the list (Example: Nawal Al Saadawi 'Camera' ; Joseph Conrad 'Almayer's Folly', etc)

I purchased Conrad's book on Kindle for $1 so that helps, but will add to my summer reading list to include all the other books.

Thank you Rachel.
I assume you took the course, overall, how was it?
Sorry, I haven't taken the course. I simply have a SDC subscription so I can see the required readings. It does look interesting, though, and I am tempted. I just wish that CLEPs were online so I could potentially get an English degree. I would guess that the works brought up in the sample exam are referenced in the videos at some point, but I'm not sure on that count.
(07-06-2020, 07:36 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Sorry, I haven't taken the course. I simply have a SDC subscription so I can see the required readings. It does look interesting, though, and I am tempted. I just wish that CLEPs were online so I could potentially get an English degree. I would guess that the works brought up in the sample exam are referenced in the videos at some point, but I'm not sure on that count.
I took the English Literature CLEP and was nice, I purchased a large Prentice Hall Literature book at Goodwill for less than a dollar and it was perfect to prepare for it. Sadly things were starting shutting down as I had already scheduled my Analyzing & Interpreting Literature CLEP exam and they closed the test center and wasn't able to take it.  Confused
Hi. I know this is an old post but I'm hoping someone will still be able to help. I've started this course (Eng 301) with study.com and can not find links to the required readings.  Maybe I'm not looking in the right place or maybe we are responsible for purchasing the books/ poems, etc. ourselves. Would someone that has already taken this course confirm that we are expected to purchase the books or study.com has included the books within the course. If included- where can I find them? Thank you.
Goal: BA in English (TESU)
91/120

In progress-Coopersmith: Medieval Hispano- Jewish Poetry
I've not taken the course yet either, but have an active subscription to Study.com, there are no links... you're not missing anything, they require you to 'get' a copy either online or through a library, etc. Rachel83AZ listed what is required, from a quick glance, I don't see anything different or added over the years, what you might want to do is... Google the name of poem and author, it'll have the contents to their work and you'll be able to read the poem...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Oulton1
(12-29-2023, 12:02 PM)Oulton1 Wrote: Hi. I know this is an old post but I'm hoping someone will still be able to help. I've started this course (Eng 301) with study.com and can not find links to the required readings.  Maybe I'm not looking in the right place or maybe we are responsible for purchasing the books/ poems, etc. ourselves. Would someone that has already taken this course confirm that we are expected to purchase the books or study.com has included the books within the course. If included- where can I find them? Thank you.

A lot of stuff is probably public domain. You can find it by searching the Internet. 

Most courses on Study.com are self-contained, in which you don't need external resources to finish the course.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Oulton1
It looks like not everything is in public domain, but you can still find the things online for free or for cheap.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Straighterline Western Civ 1 & 2 NC Coach 3 920 09-18-2021, 07:20 PM
Last Post: NC Coach
  Has anyone taken the Straighterline Western Civ. course? ab10365 14 3,286 07-29-2021, 07:12 AM
Last Post: cwendy111
  TESU Non Western History HELP tls7291 36 4,271 03-16-2021, 07:54 PM
Last Post: gams007
  Straighterline - Literature & Fine Art nilahti2 7 1,318 10-04-2020, 09:03 AM
Last Post: nilahti2
  Non Western History course on study.com Lacedonia4 7 1,113 07-28-2020, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  TESU Credit for Literature CLEPs Yenisei 5 1,587 10-24-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  New Shmoop Course: African-American Literature eriehiker 5 1,590 09-14-2019, 07:38 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Holocaust shmoop literature gen? SweetsugarNL 4 1,177 09-03-2019, 03:59 AM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
  What are the current (11/2018) TESU Non-Western Literature alternatives available? pws 33 6,013 07-04-2019, 09:46 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Non-Western Literature? YankeeDoodle 12 2,322 06-04-2019, 07:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore