Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Non Western History HELP
BYU has an independent study UL course on the History of Japan. Would this help with the nonWestern history course requirement? They have one on the Soviet Union as well that's UL.

https://is.byu.edu/catalog?school=18&sub...pecial=All

University of Idaho has a LL independent study course on East Asia. I wonder if TESU would give LL credit for this though. They are kind of odd in their UL/LL determination. 

https://www.uidaho.edu/academics/online-...se/history
Cheapest option that I know of for this, and works for both UL and non-western:

ONU's HIS 379 - Latin American History and Politics

Here's what it says on TESU's website for the requirement: "Non-Western/Non-U.S. History (e.g., Africa, Asia, Latin American, Middle East)"

So it SHOULD work for this requirement. Only $150. https://online.olivet.edu/yourway (it doesn't list the courses, but I happen to know that course is offered).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
There are of course the three BYU-IS classes that were previously mentioned and a few others which could be UL. Of course, you'll pay more for them and they will take longer than a DSST.

One final thought, it may be worth talking to TESU again about two other study.com courses if you use the DSST for the non western section but you still need a UL course fulfilled. There are two courses which study.com lists as 300 level classes (American civil Rights movement, and War & American society). Those have been long understood to be courses which will be transferred in as LL to TESU based on their transfer agreement. However, I did notice that the ACE website list both of those as upper level courses now... That was not always the case. I don't know if anyone has tried to push TESU since the change to UL, but I would wonder if it is possible to ask them to reevaluate since the previous study.com to tesu transfer agreement was most likely set up when those two study.com courses were still LL. It looks like the ACE credit evaluation was updated about a year and a half ago, but I can't find any recent threads since then where people tried to get TESU to accept either of those two classes as upper level to confirm if they were approved or denied.
(03-05-2021, 02:22 PM)Bearduke Wrote: There are of course the three BYU-IS classes that were previously mentioned and a few others which could be UL. Of course, you'll pay more for them and they will take longer than a DSST.

One final thought, it may be worth talking to TESU again about two other study.com courses if you use the DSST for the non western section but you still need a UL course fulfilled. There are two courses which study.com lists as 300 level classes (American civil Rights movement, and War & American society). Those have been long understood to be courses which will be transferred in as LL to TESU based on their transfer agreement. However, I did notice that the ACE website list both of those as upper level courses now... That was not always the case. I don't know if anyone has tried to push TESU since the change to UL, but I would wonder if it is possible to ask them to reevaluate since the previous study.com to tesu transfer agreement was most likely set up when those two study.com courses were still LL. It looks like the ACE credit evaluation was updated about a year and a half ago, but I can't find any recent threads since then where people tried to get TESU to accept either of those two classes as upper level to confirm if they were approved or denied.

They may take longer, but they're also RA credit which is required for TESU now. So that is something to consider. DSST isn't open everywhere either. ACE makes the suggestion on LL/UL. It's up to each individual school how they accept the credits. They don't go by what ACE recommends. Lots of schools disagree with the ACE rankings.  
(03-05-2021, 02:51 PM)ss20ts Wrote: They may take longer, but they're also RA credit which is required for TESU now. So that is something to consider. DSST isn't open everywhere either. ACE makes the suggestion on LL/UL. It's up to each individual school how they accept the credits. They don't go by what ACE recommends. Lots of schools disagree with the ACE rankings.  
I agree on all three points:
  • 30 credits of RA is needed now. This could be fulfilled by one of the previously mentioned UL courses at a university.
  • DSST is extremely hard to take due to the limited test centers during the pandemic. I tried to find something in 6 states, and only two sites were possible out of 50+ potential. Only one was possible without the student being military.
  • ACE is definitely a recommendation and schools don't have to agree with the UL or LL designation.
That being said, it still would be great to have two more study.com courses as options for upper level electives or area of study depending on someone's major. Seeing as how this changed not too far before the pandemic, I'm guessing it won't be too long before someone tries to get TESU to reevaluate those two as UL. It may have already happened, but I can't find evidence either way.
(03-05-2021, 03:50 PM)Bearduke Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 02:51 PM)ss20ts Wrote: They may take longer, but they're also RA credit which is required for TESU now. So that is something to consider. DSST isn't open everywhere either. ACE makes the suggestion on LL/UL. It's up to each individual school how they accept the credits. They don't go by what ACE recommends. Lots of schools disagree with the ACE rankings.  
  • 30 credits of RA is needed now. This could be fulfilled by one of the previously mentioned UL courses at a university.
  • DSST is extremely hard to take due to the limited test centers during the pandemic. I tried to find something in 6 states, and only two sites were possible out of 50+ potential. Only one was possible without the student being military.
  • ACE is definitely a recommendation and schools don't have to agree with the UL or LL designation.
That being said, it still would be great to have two more study.com courses as options for upper level electives or area of study depending on someone's major. Seeing as how this changed not too far before the pandemic, I'm guessing it won't be too long before someone tries to get TESU to reevaluate those two as UL. It may have already happened, but I can't find evidence either way.

Over the last year or so TESU has really seemed to drop the hammer on the course rankings. They've dropped a bunch of courses from UL to LL. It may have been in anticipation of the RA credit requirement so they push you to spend more $$$ on their courses. 
(03-05-2021, 04:06 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 03:50 PM)Bearduke Wrote:

Over the last year or so TESU has really seemed to drop the hammer on the course rankings. They've dropped a bunch of courses from UL to LL. It may have been in anticipation of the RA credit requirement so they push you to spend more $$$ on their courses. 

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 212 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 362 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 698 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ENG301 Non Western Literature Lacedonia4 9 2,109 01-04-2024, 07:32 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com and SL History Classes Duneranger 8 731 09-10-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,409 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Milestones at Sophia ( pls need help) US history Sara143 15 4,901 08-10-2023, 05:21 AM
  Sophia US History for PUG as a Social Science requirement faresayari 5 664 05-20-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: faresayari
  Current equivalency Sophia courses that will transfer to TESU Mccderm 3 882 01-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Mccderm
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 712 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI