Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Easiest graded RA credits
#1
I've mentioned in another thread that I want to go to law school and am looking to raise my GPA. I have stopped one class shy of graduating from UMPI because law schools only look at your credits earned BEFORE your FIRST undergraduate degree is conferred. They do not care if you got a second undergrad or a masters they ONLY care about your first undergrad gpa. 

At this point I feel as if I have soaked up all of the easier classes at UMPI and am now expanding my search to all other universities. My only criteria is that the school awards A+ grades as getting an A does not help me. I saw somewhere that ASU offeres a 1 credit course for $25, can anyone tell me if that is a P/F course or if they award a letter grade? 

Long story short I need as many A+ RA credits for hopefully as fast and cheap as possible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes evanmonast's post:
  • Pikachu
Reply
#2
I don't have recommendations on where to get the courses, but if you haven't already seen this thread it may be helpful in your law school pursuit - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ool-Thread
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Reply
#3
I haven't seen many schools give A+. There's a lot more to law school applications than the GPA. Personally, I would continue taking classes at UMPI and not apply for graduation until you've completed all the courses you want to. Law school will look at where you're taking classes and wonder why you're bouncing all over the place. That may not seen stable to them whereas completing extra courses at one school shows stability.
Amberton University - 2022
University of Maine at Presque Isle (UMPI) - 2021 and 2022



Reply
#4
The ASU 1-credit class is graded. It is not P/F.

If you need a lot of As, and can pay for them, ASU is the way to go (IMO). $25 per attempt, then you don't even have to pay the $400 to transcript the course if you get less than an A. They don't give A+, but you can definitely get As.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Reply
#5
(08-08-2022, 11:07 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I haven't seen many schools give A+. There's a lot more to law school applications than the GPA. Personally, I would continue taking classes at UMPI and not apply for graduation until you've completed all the courses you want to. Law school will look at where you're taking classes and wonder why you're bouncing all over the place. That may not seen stable to them whereas completing extra courses at one school shows stability.

This is almost entirely false. The LSAT/GPA combination makes up like 90% of the admission/scholarship criteria and your GPA from all institutions gets combined into one formula. Law schools do not care when or where you got your grades from, at all. The other 10% is a personal statement, letter of rec and other things I already have squared away and am not worried about. 

It all gets blindly put into a new formula regardless if it was a CC in 2001 or Yale in 2022 law schools only look at the total GPA

As I've already stated, I have taken all the classes I want at UMPI.

(08-08-2022, 11:19 AM)rachel83az Wrote: The ASU 1-credit class is graded. It is not P/F.

If you need a lot of As, and can pay for them, ASU is the way to go (IMO). $25 per attempt, then you don't even have to pay the $400 to transcript the course if you get less than an A. They don't give A+, but you can definitely get As.

This is intriguing to say the least. I can certainly pay for the credits however getting one A+ is equal to getting like 3 As so probably not the most time effective method. Would I be able to pick and chose which courses get transcripted or is it all or nothing?
Reply
#6
(08-08-2022, 11:22 AM)evanmonast Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 11:19 AM)rachel83az Wrote: The ASU 1-credit class is graded. It is not P/F.

If you need a lot of As, and can pay for them, ASU is the way to go (IMO). $25 per attempt, then you don't even have to pay the $400 to transcript the course if you get less than an A. They don't give A+, but you can definitely get As.

This is intriguing to say the least. I can certainly pay for the credits however getting one A+ is equal to getting like 3 As so probably not the most time effective method. Would I be able to pick and chose which courses get transcripted or is it all or nothing?

You can choose which courses get transcripted (I think for up to a year).
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
Reply
#7
(08-08-2022, 11:22 AM)evanmonast Wrote: This is intriguing to say the least. I can certainly pay for the credits however getting one A+ is equal to getting like 3 As so probably not the most time effective method. Would I be able to pick and chose which courses get transcripted or is it all or nothing?

You get to choose. If you want to transcript Astronomy but not Biology, for instance, you can do that. The 1-credit course doesn't have a transcription fee, but it doesn't get transcripted until you click the button saying that you want to transcript it.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Reply
#8
(08-08-2022, 11:22 AM)evanmonast Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 11:07 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I haven't seen many schools give A+. There's a lot more to law school applications than the GPA. Personally, I would continue taking classes at UMPI and not apply for graduation until you've completed all the courses you want to. Law school will look at where you're taking classes and wonder why you're bouncing all over the place. That may not seen stable to them whereas completing extra courses at one school shows stability.

This is almost entirely false. The LSAT/GPA combination makes up like 90% of the admission/scholarship criteria and your GPA from all institutions gets combined into one formula. Law schools do not care when or where you got your grades from, at all. The other 10% is a personal statement, letter of rec and other things I already have squared away and am not worried about. 

It all gets blindly put into a new formula regardless if it was a CC in 2001 or Yale in 2022 law schools only look at the total GPA

As I've already stated, I have taken all the classes I want at UMPI.

What I'm saying is that you won't look like a serious student if you're bouncing all over the place at the end of your bachelor's degree. There is more than just your GPA to law school. I know how GPAs work. If you've taken all of your classes at UMPI then you need to graduate from UMPI. You'll be hard pressed to find schools that offer A+ as a grade. There's no guarantee that you can get an A+.
Amberton University - 2022
University of Maine at Presque Isle (UMPI) - 2021 and 2022



Reply
#9
(08-08-2022, 11:39 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 11:22 AM)evanmonast Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 11:07 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I haven't seen many schools give A+. There's a lot more to law school applications than the GPA. Personally, I would continue taking classes at UMPI and not apply for graduation until you've completed all the courses you want to. Law school will look at where you're taking classes and wonder why you're bouncing all over the place. That may not seen stable to them whereas completing extra courses at one school shows stability.

This is almost entirely false. The LSAT/GPA combination makes up like 90% of the admission/scholarship criteria and your GPA from all institutions gets combined into one formula. Law schools do not care when or where you got your grades from, at all. The other 10% is a personal statement, letter of rec and other things I already have squared away and am not worried about. 

It all gets blindly put into a new formula regardless if it was a CC in 2001 or Yale in 2022 law schools only look at the total GPA

As I've already stated, I have taken all the classes I want at UMPI.

What I'm saying is that you won't look like a serious student if you're bouncing all over the place at the end of your bachelor's degree. There is more than just your GPA to law school. I know how GPAs work. If you've taken all of your classes at UMPI then you need to graduate from UMPI. You'll be hard pressed to find schools that offer A+ as a grade. There's no guarantee that you can get an A+.
Understood, what I am saying though is that no human is going to look at where I got my credits from. They won't see which classes I took where, they will only see the final number of all my GPAs combined.

(08-08-2022, 11:32 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 11:22 AM)evanmonast Wrote: This is intriguing to say the least. I can certainly pay for the credits however getting one A+ is equal to getting like 3 As so probably not the most time effective method. Would I be able to pick and chose which courses get transcripted or is it all or nothing?

You get to choose. If you want to transcript Astronomy but not Biology, for instance, you can do that. The 1-credit course doesn't have a transcription fee, but it doesn't get transcripted until you click the button saying that you want to transcript it.

Hm, I might have to consider ASU then even if it takes significantly longer than an A+ granting institution. I saw on another thread that TESU's PLA-100 was an option as well as another 1 credit course from CSU-Pueblo. Do you know of anyone here who has taken those?
Reply
#10
(08-08-2022, 11:22 AM)evanmonast Wrote: The LSAT/GPA combination makes up like 90% of the admission/scholarship criteria and your GPA from all institutions gets combined into one formula. Law schools do not care when or where you got your grades from, at all. The other 10% is a personal statement, letter of rec and other things I already have squared away and am not worried about. 

It all gets blindly put into a new formula regardless if it was a CC in 2001 or Yale in 2022 law schools only look at the total GPA




"...however getting one A+ is equal to getting like 3 As..."

First, every law school is different, and you cannot say that they all look at things exactly the same way.  They do not ALL split it up 90/10.  They look at all kinds of things; it's a package just like any grad school app.

Second, "Each law school applicant’s file includes a report compiled by the Law School Admission Council, or LSAC, through the council's Credential Assembly Service. This report includes all grades from every undergraduate and graduate institution an applicant has reported attending.

The LSAC report includes several GPAs: a GPA for each institution, a GPA for each year and a cumulative GPA for all undergraduate work.

So, if you have received multiple undergraduate degrees within one institution, law schools will see your overall undergraduate GPA that includes all those programs.

If you receive multiple degrees from separate institutions – like an associate degree, a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree – LSAC will calculate separate GPAs for each institution as well as a cumulative undergraduate GPA."


So yes, they will see every school you took classes at separately as well as cumulatively; and they will also see every course you've taken.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting one A+ on a 1cr course is certainly NOT like getting 3 A's.  If a law school is looking at your GPA, they are looking at a formula - the number of credits divided by the grade points.  So if you have 90 graded credits of B's, a 1cr A+ is going to change your GPA from 3.0 to 3.01.

I've never heard of a college giving you an A+, and they don't generally give you higher than a 4.0 for a grade.

Really you need to calculate this out to see if it's even possible.  Go to a GPA calculator, and input the total number of credits you have, alongside the GPA as one course.  Then, put 3cr and an A in the 2nd row and see how much it goes up.  Increase your "3" credits until you get to an overall GPA you like/need.  Is it 6cr? 30cr?  60cr?  At some point, it will not be worth the time/money to try to increase your GPA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TEL Learning - your new best friend (cheap RA credits) dfrecore 107 12,490 10-17-2022, 12:51 PM
Last Post: CanICode
  Olivet YourWay, How to get RA Credits Antonella 14 777 10-16-2022, 06:53 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Max Sophia credits for SNHU eviliphone63 9 616 10-02-2022, 11:43 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Places to park electronics + computer PLA credits (BOG AAS + TESU AAS) xicovu 17 427 09-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: xicovu
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 5 453 09-26-2022, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sarahmac
  COSC - RA credits for general studies degree Antonella 5 319 09-20-2022, 04:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Olivet Nazarene YourWay (more cheap RA credits) dfrecore 149 20,071 09-05-2022, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Blckbuster
  TAMUC - No longer accepting ACE credits bjcheung77 20 1,585 08-19-2022, 10:30 AM
Last Post: teejayb
  self-paced C, C++ programming courses for college credits? nomaduser 4 500 05-23-2022, 10:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How do The Big 3 + UMPI Handle >20 Year Old RA Credits? retro 7 643 04-13-2022, 05:48 AM
Last Post: LevelUP

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)