Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern University
(01-10-2021, 04:12 PM)MrBossmanJr Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 03:33 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 01:03 AM)MrBossmanJr Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 09:04 AM)eleverson Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 10:09 PM)eleverson Wrote: Thank you, I had just thought of transferring those credits to a graduate certificate and focus on probably cybersecurity instead.

By the way, who do you think will most likely take my credits for a graduate data science certification?

Not too sure. It depends on the program, university policies, and what graduate credits you have. I hear, but am not sure, that WGU is pretty generous with the transfer of graduate credits.

According to WGU, they do not accept transfer credit for their graduate degrees:

https://www.wgu.edu/blog/how-to-transfer...U1907.html

Ah, I guess I heard wrong then. Thanks for the correction. Yeah, transferring graduate credits is really hard. Most schools that I've checked out don't really like people transferring in graduate credits.

Thanks for checking on that, if I can't resolve my issue with Eastern then I will just look at my 12 credits as a loss. I'm inquiring about a cybersecurity apprenticeship Purdue University is offering. At least, I will get paid work experience in the field and a free education.
Doesn't Ashford or Ashworth accept transfer grad credits? (Their names are too similar for me to keep them straight.) At least for their Masters in Professional Studies or something along those lines.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
If you have 12 credits from Eastern, you can go for the Amberton Masters in Professional Development, they will take "anything" for that degree program...
Basically, you can select from Business courses to whatever fits and floats your boat... https://www.amberton.edu/programs-and-co...tails.html
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • eleverson
(01-10-2021, 04:59 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If you have 12 credits from Eastern, you can go for the Amberton Masters in Professional Development, they will take "anything" for that degree program...
Basically, you can select from Business courses to whatever fits and floats your boat... https://www.amberton.edu/programs-and-co...tails.html

Amberton! I knew it started with A. I was so close.  Big Grin
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • eleverson
(12-29-2020, 02:27 AM)matrixski Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 01:46 PM)eleverson Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 12:16 PM)nnahh Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 11:52 AM)eleverson Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 10:59 AM)nnahh Wrote: BUMP

Any updates on these actual classes?

I noticed that the same 2-3 teachers are teaching all 36 hours. How have the exams and project been? Any group work expected ?

I'm in my 4th class and it's the same teacher.  One of my classes did require me to turn in 3 assignments. There will be no group projects because this is a self-pace program
Thank you!

I start in January. Im nervous because I will be taking 2 course at a time but can’t find a lot of info on what exactly to expect. In the past I’ve been able to read reviews on professors and access their syllabus ahead of time. Your information is helpful.
I understand about you being nervous because you don't know what to expect. The thing I am getting from this school that I have not gotten from other distance learning programs is lecture videos from the professor who is teaching the class. They might send a few outside videos but most of them will be taught by them. For now, there is no proctoring when you take your exam and you need to make an 80 or above to move on to the next exam. And they allow you to take the exam as many times until you pass. For me, this type of setup is giving me the support I need from the professor by them providing the lectures and allowing me to take the exam until I pass is making things less stressful for me. If you have any questions, you can always reach out to me.
This programs sounds a lot more tame than the University of Denver's Online Master's in Data Science Program which will take me two years to complete assuming I make it passed my first quarter. I was accepted in this program as well but felt that DU's program with their more vigorous math component would give me an edge when finding work. After looking at my first quarter's math course, and having spent over 90% of my time having to use outside sources to even begin to understand my homework assignments, I may reconsider reapplying to this program instead. I enjoy math, but having to learn calculus 1 through 3 and more in 10 weeks as a bridge course seems a little bit too much.  I was thinking the bridge courses would have taken a more gradual approach in teaching calculus, but I was wrong. I am better off learning calculus on Khan Academy or through YouTube at a more reasonable pace than trying to cram 1-2 years of calculus in a 10 week period.

After having gotten zero responses to my email from Eastern, I have decided to stick with the University of Denver's Online Master's in Data Science Program. The average class size is 18-30 students. Supposedly their first 3 math related courses which cover calculus, discrete math, linear algebra, statistics and probability give students the most difficulty. It is a super math intensive program. I am only doing it part-time until I get through the math courses as I have minimal background in calculus and some knowledge of statistics and probability, but zero background in other types of math. It is a super expensive program at over $4k a per class and most of the other students in my class already work in a related field or have computer science backgrounds. The professors work in the field of data science and field of mathematics and the director of the program is a data scientist himself. The only reason why I am able to afford this program is through VA benefits. I feel like this program may be more intense than Georgia Tech's and the University of Texas' program since the soonest anyone can complete the program with minimal to no background in computer science or math is two years. I'm looking at three years due to the insane difficulty of the math courses. If I encounter difficulty with the program and or another program option becomes available that I feel has a strong math and programming component then I may go for that program. As far as Eastern's Program, it is too basic and I feel it will not equip me to help stand out in the job market. I wanted to apply to Georgia's program, but I have no references and a very poor job history, hence why I am going back for a quantitative degree, which so many jobs require or highly prefer.
(01-12-2021, 12:56 PM)matrixski Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 02:27 AM)matrixski Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 01:46 PM)eleverson Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 12:16 PM)nnahh Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 11:52 AM)eleverson Wrote: I'm in my 4th class and it's the same teacher.  One of my classes did require me to turn in 3 assignments. There will be no group projects because this is a self-pace program
Thank you!

I start in January. Im nervous because I will be taking 2 course at a time but can’t find a lot of info on what exactly to expect. In the past I’ve been able to read reviews on professors and access their syllabus ahead of time. Your information is helpful.
I understand about you being nervous because you don't know what to expect. The thing I am getting from this school that I have not gotten from other distance learning programs is lecture videos from the professor who is teaching the class. They might send a few outside videos but most of them will be taught by them. For now, there is no proctoring when you take your exam and you need to make an 80 or above to move on to the next exam. And they allow you to take the exam as many times until you pass. For me, this type of setup is giving me the support I need from the professor by them providing the lectures and allowing me to take the exam until I pass is making things less stressful for me. If you have any questions, you can always reach out to me.
This programs sounds a lot more tame than the University of Denver's Online Master's in Data Science Program which will take me two years to complete assuming I make it passed my first quarter. I was accepted in this program as well but felt that DU's program with their more vigorous math component would give me an edge when finding work. After looking at my first quarter's math course, and having spent over 90% of my time having to use outside sources to even begin to understand my homework assignments, I may reconsider reapplying to this program instead. I enjoy math, but having to learn calculus 1 through 3 and more in 10 weeks as a bridge course seems a little bit too much.  I was thinking the bridge courses would have taken a more gradual approach in teaching calculus, but I was wrong. I am better off learning calculus on Khan Academy or through YouTube at a more reasonable pace than trying to cram 1-2 years of calculus in a 10 week period.

After having gotten zero responses to my email from Eastern, I have decided to stick with the University of Denver's Online Master's in Data Science Program. The average class size is 18-30 students. Supposedly their first 3 math related courses which cover calculus, discrete math, linear algebra, statistics and probability give students the most difficulty. It is a super math intensive program. I am only doing it part-time until I get through the math courses as I have minimal background in calculus and some knowledge of statistics and probability, but zero background in other types of math. It is a super expensive program at over $4k a per class and most of the other students in my class already work in a related field or have computer science backgrounds. The professors work in the field of data science and field of mathematics and the director of the program is a data scientist himself. The only reason why I am able to afford this program is through VA benefits. I feel like this program may be more intense than Georgia Tech's and the University of Texas' program since the soonest anyone can complete the program with minimal to no background in computer science or math is two years. I'm looking at three years due to the insane difficulty of the math courses. If I encounter difficulty with the program and or another program option becomes available that I feel has a strong math and programming component then I may go for that program. As far as Eastern's Program, it is too basic and I feel it will not equip me to help stand out in the job market. I wanted to apply to Georgia's program, but I have no references and a very poor job history, hence why I am going back for a quantitative degree, which so many jobs require or highly prefer.
I feel you are doing the right thing! The biggest plus is the people who are teaching the courses and over the courses are data scientists themselves. This not the case over here and the situation is becoming even more concerning.
Hello all Eastern Data Science Master students,

I decided to speak up to the Dean Patricia Reger concerning the inaccurate test grading issues. She is wanting to hear from other students who are experiencing the same thing to get to the bottom of it. If you would like to speak up about it, you can email her at preger@eastern.edu
(01-13-2021, 11:59 AM)eleverson Wrote: Hello all Eastern Data Science Master students,

I decided to speak up to the Dean Patricia Reger concerning the inaccurate test grading issues. She is wanting to hear from other students who are experiencing the same thing to get to the bottom of it. If you would like to speak up about it, you can email her at preger@eastern.edu

I also found another Data Analytics regional accredited school with minimal admission proceed at $10,500 for the whole program https://online.nwmissouri.edu/programs/m...admissions. Speaking up resolved no issues so I am cutting my losses and moving on to NW Missouri program even if they don't take my credits from Eastern.
(01-15-2021, 01:47 PM)eleverson Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 11:59 AM)eleverson Wrote: Hello all Eastern Data Science Master students,

I also found another Data Analytics regional accredited school with minimal admission proceed at $10,500 for the whole program https://online.nwmissouri.edu/programs/m...admissions. Speaking up resolved no issues so I am cutting my losses and moving on to NW Missouri program even if they don't take my credits from Eastern.
Have you considered WGU's MS in Data Analytics? Or are you an international student (non-US based)? 

WGU's MSDA program was updated in Nov or Dec of last year. They took out the SAS certs among other things. There are 3 proctored exams total. The rest of the courses are projects. 

Non-STEM undergrads such as myself will need a cert or certificate in something programming related to be admitted into the program. I have not spoken to any advisors recently. Before the changes were made I was told that a SAS-1 cert would be good enough or any Microsoft SQL Server cert. SAS is no longer relevant to the program so I will avoid taking that. 

If I pursue that program I will check on what the updated requirements are with admissions.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
(01-18-2021, 12:58 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 01:47 PM)eleverson Wrote:

Have you considered WGU's MS in Data Analytics? Or are you an international student (non-US based)? 

WGU's MSDA program was updated in Nov or Dec of last year. They took out the SAS certs among other things. There are 3 proctored exams total. The rest of the courses are projects. 

Non-STEM undergrads such as myself will need a cert or certificate in something programming related to be admitted into the program. I have not spoken to any advisors recently. Before the changes were made I was told that a SAS-1 cert would be good enough or any Microsoft SQL Server cert. SAS is no longer relevant to the program so I will avoid taking that. 

If I pursue that program I will check on what the updated requirements are with admissions.

Even though I have an undergrad in Information Technology, I did not qualify. At this point, I would prefer the state school instead of the primary online school.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 217 11 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,052 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,452 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,841 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,970 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,362 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,309 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 111 16,296 03-03-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy