Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern University
(10-20-2020, 05:19 PM)kalilee Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 02:11 PM)eleverson Wrote: The school beat my expectations in many ways! The school is more like a community and you don't feel distant like I have in other online programs. Last night, we had a meet and greet with the professors and students for the 2nd term. I thought that was so cool. We were able to ask our professor questions and get to know other students. You will always get zoom invites to programs they have. For example, I will be attending a Winter Music Festival

Wow, that sounds pretty cool! After doing some more research, I decided to apply today. We'll see how that goes!

It's not perfect, but you won't be disappointed
BUMP

Any updates on these actual classes?

I noticed that the same 2-3 teachers are teaching all 36 hours. How have the exams and project been? Any group work expected ?
(12-07-2020, 10:59 AM)nnahh Wrote: BUMP

I noticed that the same 2-3 teachers are teaching all 36 hours. How have the exams and project been? Any group work expected ?

I'm in my 4th class and it's the same teacher.  One of my classes did require me to turn in 3 assignments. There will be no group projects because this is a self-pace program
(12-07-2020, 11:52 AM)eleverson Wrote:

I'm in my 4th class and it's the same teacher.  One of my classes did require me to turn in 3 assignments. There will be no group projects because this is a self-pace program
Thank you!

I start in January. Im nervous because I will be taking 2 course at a time but can’t find a lot of info on what exactly to expect. In the past I’ve been able to read reviews on professors and access their syllabus ahead of time. Your information is helpful.
(12-07-2020, 12:16 PM)nnahh Wrote:

Thank you!

I start in January. Im nervous because I will be taking 2 course at a time but can’t find a lot of info on what exactly to expect. In the past I’ve been able to read reviews on professors and access their syllabus ahead of time. Your information is helpful.
I understand about you being nervous because you don't know what to expect. The thing I am getting from this school that I have not gotten from other distance learning programs is lecture videos from the professor who is teaching the class. They might send a few outside videos but most of them will be taught by them. For now, there is no proctoring when you take your exam and you need to make an 80 or above to move on to the next exam. And they allow you to take the exam as many times until you pass. For me, this type of setup is giving me the support I need from the professor by them providing the lectures and allowing me to take the exam until I pass is making things less stressful for me. If you have any questions, you can always reach out to me.
(12-07-2020, 01:46 PM)eleverson Wrote:

Thank you!

I understand about you being nervous because you don't know what to expect. The thing I am getting from this school that I have not gotten from other distance learning programs is lecture videos from the professor who is teaching the class. They might send a few outside videos but most of them will be taught by them. For now, there is no proctoring when you take your exam and you need to make an 80 or above to move on to the next exam. And they allow you to take the exam as many times until you pass. For me, this type of setup is giving me the support I need from the professor by them providing the lectures and allowing me to take the exam until I pass is making things less stressful for me. If you have any questions, you can always reach out to me.
This programs sounds a lot more tame than the University of Denver's Online Master's in Data Science Program which will take me two years to complete assuming I make it passed my first quarter. I was accepted in this program as well but felt that DU's program with their more vigorous math component would give me an edge when finding work. After looking at my first quarter's math course, and having spent over 90% of my time having to use outside sources to even begin to understand my homework assignments, I may reconsider reapplying to this program instead. I enjoy math, but having to learn calculus 1 through 3 and more in 10 weeks as a bridge course seems a little bit too much.  I was thinking the bridge courses would have taken a more gradual approach in teaching calculus, but I was wrong. I am better off learning calculus on Khan Academy or through YouTube at a more reasonable pace than trying to cram 1-2 years of calculus in a 10 week period.
(12-29-2020, 02:27 AM)matrixski Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 01:46 PM)eleverson Wrote:

Thank you!

This programs sounds a lot more tame than the University of Denver's Online Master's in Data Science Program which will take me two years to complete assuming I make it passed my first quarter. I was accepted in this program as well but felt that DU's program with their more vigorous math component would give me an edge when finding work. After looking at my first quarter's math course, and having spent over 90% of my time having to use outside sources to even begin to understand my homework assignments, I may reconsider reapplying to this program instead. I enjoy math, but having to learn calculus 1 through 3 and more in 10 weeks as a bridge course seems a little bit too much.  I was thinking the bridge courses would have taken a more gradual approach in teaching calculus, but I was wrong. I am better off learning calculus on Khan Academy or through YouTube at a more reasonable pace than trying to cram 1-2 years of calculus in a 10 week period.

Yes, that sounds like a bit too much. I saw a video of a person who is in the industry of Data Science and he states schools give students the wrong expectations of what you will actually be doing as a Data Scientist in the job market. I am sure R and Python will surely take care of all the math you will need to do and you will just need a basic understanding of it. Check out the Youtube video when you get a chance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQaVk2nfVT4
Looking forward for new info about this course. Keep posting guys...
I have new feedback about the program. I decided to leave the program today. I was graded a 48% on an assignment without any feedback on what I had gotten wrong. The low grade on the assignment dropped my grade to a 77% C and all classes need to be a 80% B, so now I am on probation. In addition, their test will consist of fill in the blanks that will mark you wrong when you are right with your answer. In order for you to get credit for the answers that are marked wrong when they are right. You will have to send screenshots to the department to have them check. Meaning, you could have many right answers on your fill-in-the-blank answers that are marked wrong and you are giving a lower score without you realizing it. I've completed 4 classes so far, and none of them have consisted of projects that are required by most internships for you to show your Data Science skills. I am on the hunt for a new Data Science or Data Analytics masters program. If you guys know of any good ones, please let me know.
Georgia Tech has a cheap Analytics master's program that I applied to. I also applied to USC, which is expensive but should be covered by my tuition assistance.

You could always opt for a grad certificate. Lots of top schools have certificate programs now.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 244 Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,072 03-27-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 277 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,456 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 548 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,849 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,977 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,363 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,317 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 111 16,302 03-03-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy