Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Comp
What course in English/College Comp would you recommend for someone basically starting from scratch?  I have no knowledge on APA/MLA formatting and very little experience writing papers of any kind.  I don't hate writing, but as a perfectionist, I prefer to be able to take my time and really think through things and rewrite as much as necessary.  I had wanted to take the CLEP so I could get it all over quickly.  But upon more research, it seems to be eerily similar to the essay portion of my SAT which I have bad memories of and didn't score well on.  After thinking it through, it seems like it would be good to get some practice in writing, especially before I take some upper level courses, so going through courses instead of CLEP would be better.  Are there English courses y'all would recommend or ones to definitely avoid?  Thanks!!
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
CLEP w/o Essay for Comp I
DSST Advanced English for Comp II
Both multiple choice

I seem to remember DSST Technical Writing being mentioned as a replacement for Comp II, but no idea if that panned out for TESU. Also multiple guess.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(05-30-2018, 08:36 PM)quigongene Wrote: I seem to remember DSST Technical Writing being mentioned as a replacement for Comp II, but no idea if that panned out for TESU.  Also multiple guess.

They said it won't work.

(05-30-2018, 08:33 PM)TexasTink Wrote: What course in English/College Comp would you recommend for someone basically starting from scratch? ...I prefer to be able to take my time and really think through things and rewrite as much as necessary.  After thinking it through, it seems like it would be good to get some practice in writing, especially before I take some upper level courses, so going through courses instead of CLEP would be better.  Are there English courses y'all would recommend or ones to definitely avoid?  Thanks!!

Definitely courses at your local CC would be good.  I found it to be helpful to have that knowledge under my belt.

I think SL's English Comp I & II would fit the bill if you want something cheaper, although as someone on here stated, doing the teacher-led course rather than the cheaper version would be more helpful - you can actually interact with the instructor, and it's the instructor who grades your papers.  With the normal version, you submit your paper online, and then a random grader gets ahold of it, and sends it back.  He/she may not be great at the job, as there have been complaints here over the years.

I don't know what Study.com's English Comp I & II courses are like.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Just to chime in: Study.com's Comp. I and Comp. II are both easy enough. Take the quizzes over to get a 100 average on that, take a practice final, and do as well as you can on the final. Then the grades on the writing assignments won't matter so much. Just have to get them submitted. The quizzes will also help drill format into your head if needed. Oh, and take Library Science first if you have time. Exceptionally easy course that works toward your progress on both the composition courses, and it's actually pretty informative as far as finding information from library databases. I believe that part also goes towards Intro to Computing progress, at least the boolean logic and database parts
I haven't taken the Study.com ones, but my guess (based on other Study.com courses) is that they may not be the ideal option if you don't feel confident and want to really *learn* the material. In that case, I'd recommend Straighterline (definitely the teacher-led version -- I've been having those grading issues dfrecore mentioned) or even Modern States. Modern States is designed to prep you for the CLEP exams, so that may or may not fit your goals in terms of getting the credits, but it's free and self-paced.

I also definitely recommend checking out the OWL Purdue site for formatting. It's much easier than trying to muddle through the APA or MLA reference texts or figure it out on your own. It's considered pretty reliable, even though it isn't "official." All of my professors have pointed students to it as a reference. https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resou...1522454400
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
The other thing to keep in mind - when I was doing my capstone, in one section it said to use MLA, in another, to use APA. I asked the instructor, and he said he didn't care as long as I chose one and was consistent throughout the paper. Then, I used MS Word to do my paper, and told it that I was doing an APA formatted paper, and it formatted it for me. I mean, a little guy didn't come out and do anything, but it did stuff in the correct format.

Also, you don't have to memorize the formatting - you can look it up while you're writing a paper. So there's not a lot of pressure to "get it right" from that perspective.

Like some on here have said, you could take the easy way out and test out. That's what I personally did, because I'm a pretty good writer already. But if you actually want to try to become a better writer, then I suggest either taking a course, or using SL. The test-out method will not help you become a better writer for sure.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks y'all! CLEP/DSST is out for the moment anyways as I'm having a hard time finding something easy to get to that is still open. CC is out as there appears to only be one in my city, I seem to have missed the summer classes deadline, and they charge $111 per credit hour so it just makes more sense to do something like SL or Study.

I'm planning on doing a lot of classes through Study and am on my last month of the Guardian, so I'm leaning towards their courses. I also liked that I could see the syllabus and what the writing assignment options were. The topics didn't seem too bad - at least for Comp1. I can't seem to find that info on SL. Am I missing it somewhere? It doesn't seem like the SL English comp classes have a proctored final, so that's definitely intriguing. Any last minute reasons I should go with one over the other?
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
I didn't take SL's English Comp I, but I'm just finishing up Comp II, and I posted the assignments the other day. Let me see if I can find that again.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...iew?page=3
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 941 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences ashkir 67 10,645 02-09-2024, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Sophia English Composition II Experience lifted567 14 1,851 01-04-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English Comp 2 dbrown2258 7 811 09-10-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  does sophia english touch stone allow to use chatgpt or grammerly? sekiflying 10 2,517 08-13-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: sekiflying
Heart Is it possible to finish English composition II in one month on study.com? imkingta 16 1,884 07-22-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Want to drop out of Sophia English Composition I Avidreader 17 1,743 07-07-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  English comp 2 Sophia/study.com/olivia/tel? SweetsugarNL 12 3,796 07-03-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Trying to speedrun some SDC classes: Eng 2, Comp. Arch, Soft. Eng, Python 101 Randyb100 16 1,843 06-25-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Sophia English Comp 1 Touchstone Issue arrakis 29 7,229 06-21-2023, 05:05 PM
Last Post: LevelUP