Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Composition ENC 102 - alternative
I would try College Writing from Olivet. I don't think that there are any breaks in between the CLEP parts and it would probably be faster to complete the ONU class(es) than it would be to wait two months for accommodations. At least it doesn't cost any money to find out if it'll work for you, just a bit of time to sign up.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
If you have a test center open in your area, the CLEP is the best option. If not, and you have cash to spare, take the TECEPS for credit.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks, but ONU is not for me. There are some aspects of my identity that conflict with their strict biblically-inspired honor code (they call it a "Lifestyle Covenant"). While this probably wouldn't matter for an online student, it's a strong sign that I am not welcome at that institution.

I called CLEP and the College Board disability services lines today and didn't make any progress. Although they list an accommodation process for CLEP at home, it doesn't appear to actually work. The form they provide is meant for high schoolers taking AP and SAT exams; there's no way for me to fill it out correctly as an adult. The representatives weren't able to help me with it. Nobody at College Board seems to know what to do.

I contacted an organization that is advocating for students needing accomodations for digital exams, and will be talking with their coordinator soon. They successfully fought College Board on AP exam accommodations last year, so I'm hopeful they can work something out.

A few local technical colleges have reopened their testing centers with limited hours. However, they're mainly just serving their own students at this point. Additionally, getting myself to either would be a logistical challenge. Still, I'll contact them and see what they can do.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
The CLEP College Composition Modular is all multiple choice, no essays - that would count for ENC-101.
The DSST Principles of Advanced English Composition is also all multiple choice, no essays - and would count for ENC-102. That would include going to a testing center, but I'm willing to bet you could finish more quickly than the CLEP w/Essay.

I thought the English Comp II TECEP exam was fairly easy - yes, an "essay" was required, but it was more like a very short 3-paragraph one, rather than a true college level "essay." I'm wondering if TESU would make accommodations for you?

Davar & Coopersmith both have English Comp I & II - I'm not certain how those work, but I think they might make accommodations - they might allow for an outside proctor for you as well - you can talk to them directly.

TEL has both courses, and they have RA partners to bring the courses in from. I don't think you have to do long proctored exams, although you can look at the syllabus.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jch
TEL has two proctored exams per course. I don't know how long they are, though.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-12-2021, 06:12 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If you have a test center open in your area, the CLEP is the best option.  If not, and you have cash to spare, take the TECEPS for credit.

Since 04-23-21, you can take CLEP online now.  You get Free voucher to take the test from ModernStates by completing the course, then use the voucher to take the test.  You can also get refunded the testing fees.

Just to be clear the CLEP College Composition (one with essays) counts for both ENC101 & ENC102.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I'm still wary in sending my information to ProctorTrack or whatever that failed company is, err... faulty company is, I mean, data breach #2 is about to happen, I can sense it! Who else is having their spidey-sense take over?! I can picture it now... I think going in person after you've taken your ModernStates.org prep courses is a viable option when it opens up...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
College Board continues to fail here. I sent an email to both their CLEP and disability departments outlining the problems. Both departments said that the other group was responsible. The CLEP contact insisted that the form is correct but ignored that I can't fill it out correctly.  

I've looked into local testing centers over the past few days. Several are still shut down or closed to outside students. However, I did find one local technical college which seems promising. I just got off the phone with their testing accommodations person, and they are very willing to help make this happen. In the end, I think that I'll go with them.  

I'm breezing through the modern states course, so I think that I'll definitely be ready for the exam.
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(05-12-2021, 08:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The CLEP College Composition Modular is all multiple choice, no essays - that would count for ENC-101.
The DSST Principles of Advanced English Composition is also all multiple choice, no essays - and would count for ENC-102. That would include going to a testing center, but I'm willing to bet you could finish more quickly than the CLEP w/Essay.

I thought the English Comp II TECEP exam was fairly easy - yes, an "essay" was required, but it was more like a very short 3-paragraph one, rather than a true college level "essay." I'm wondering if TESU would make accommodations for you?

Davar & Coopersmith both have English Comp I & II - I'm not certain how those work, but I think they might make accommodations - they might allow for an outside proctor for you as well - you can talk to them directly.

TEL has both courses, and they have RA partners to bring the courses in from. I don't think you have to do long proctored exams, although you can look at the syllabus.

Attempting to find an operational DSST testing center is a frustrating experience. The locator on their website contains very outdated information. Many of the entries have shut down or relocated. It also doesn't tag centers that are closed to outside students like the CLEP locator does.
(05-14-2021, 02:22 PM)jch Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 08:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The CLEP College Composition Modular is all multiple choice, no essays - that would count for ENC-101.
The DSST Principles of Advanced English Composition is also all multiple choice, no essays - and would count for ENC-102.  That would include going to a testing center, but I'm willing to bet you could finish more quickly than the CLEP w/Essay.

I thought the English Comp II TECEP exam was fairly easy - yes, an "essay" was required, but it was more like a very short 3-paragraph one, rather than a true college level "essay."  I'm wondering if TESU would make accommodations for you?

TEL has both courses, and they have RA partners to bring the courses in from.  I don't think you have to do long proctored exams, although you can look at the syllabus.

Attempting to find an operational DSST testing center is a frustrating experience. The locator on their website contains very outdated information. Many of the entries have shut down or relocated. It also doesn't tag centers that are closed to outside students like the CLEP locator does.

Start with the colleges closest to you and check their website. Most have a page for their testing center which lists the exams they proctor. If DSST is not listed you can send the testing center a quick email and ask. In my area we have more testing centers open for DSST than CLEP which is weird. And they are mainly private colleges. 

I can confirm that the DSST fulfills ENC-102 at TESU. My daughter currently has it on her academic evaluation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Degree Plan - BA English aperantosbias 10 672 09-16-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BA in English xianbd 8 1,002 03-23-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: xianbd
  Software Engineering alternative mt_1994 14 1,174 03-16-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: gams007
  Tesu English 102 credit Sb2013 12 1,301 03-05-2023, 12:05 PM
  English Comp II requirement? Insert Name 5 716 07-15-2022, 04:47 PM
  CS associate degree Alternative gams007 2 797 12-31-2021, 01:17 PM
  Alternative Capstone - Academic Community Impact scorpion 31 7,257 12-16-2021, 04:03 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Alternative places to take American Government, Calculus to be transferred into TESU? StudentOLife 27 3,834 04-25-2021, 07:56 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Alternative credits TESU General Ed onlinelearner99 5 1,410 04-02-2021, 02:32 PM
  TESU English Comp I and II Msybrown 5 1,788 08-17-2020, 05:44 PM
Last Post: cgreen275