Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enrolling before July 1st to save Non-Accredited Options
Is there a way to officially enroll now (for the June 22nd start) without registering for any courses in order to make sure that all the non-partnered ACE credits will be accepted due to the July 1st 2020 policy change? COSC has received my ACE transcript and application today. Once I receive my login details what would I have to do to achieve enrollment status... pay the $295 per term and $75 tech fees or just the $150 deposit?
Is this an option? It might be worth it.
There is a chance that your credits will not get evaluated by July 1st. I waited almost one month to have my ACE transcript evaluated. You only have 10 days...
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
Hmm, I think people are getting confused with application and enrollment. In order to be enrolled, you need to take a course or challenge exam... For COSC, when you apply, you have up to 6 months before you enroll in a course. If you do not enroll after 6 months, you need to reapply and pay the application fee.

The deadline for changes are coming fast, I think you need to be clear with them and talk to them to get this resolved ASAP. For those starting from scratch or near zero, COSC wouldn't be the best option but will remain the cheapest of the Big 3, you may take a look at the other Big 3 offerings as well as Competency Based degree providers out there such as Brandman.

Let's randomly take a college, NMJC. Their out of state resident tuition is $70, 24x70=$1680. The price isn't all that bad, it's the amount of time you will need to spend to complete these 24 course credits, in addition to racking up credits for the remainder of the degree.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks BJ. I'll take a look at NMJC and try to identify eight courses and then not take them at Saylor, SL, SDC. Then complete all of the non cornerstone and NMJC courses. 

Starting with College Comp. and Analyzing literature CLEPS in Bangkok in August. Already scheduled. Just finished the Modern States classes for these and will try for the free test credit. In August will do around 13 free FEMA, TEEX ACE credits and the CSM class. Then Saylor,/SL classes for a couple of semesters. 

Should have significant progress by August 2021. Student will be 18 in August 2022. Goal is to have 114 credits at that time and take the cornerstones.

Looking at this as dual high school enrollment although she is taking the classes, she is not enrolled anywhere.
Luna Community College (LCC), in New Mexico, also has low out-of-state tuition. It's $38.00 per credit hour. There is one problem, however. Your state must have a SARA agreement with them. If not, Luna wiill dis-enroll you. Okay, there are two problems. LCC  is accredited, but it's on probation. 

You might want to check with COSC if courses from a school on probation are an issue. I wouldn't think so, but my opinion is irrelevant. LCC has a lot of students who are duel-enrolled (high-school and college). If you decide against CLEP'ing English, Sherry Goodyear is an EXCELLENT freshman English instructor. She's used to on-line teaching, she gives great feed-back, she's used to teaching high-school students taking college courses, and she teaches both semesters of English. I can't recommend her highly enough.
It looks like New Mexico has SARA with: Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington.

https://nc-sara.org/directory
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Clepper43
(06-20-2020, 03:21 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, I think people are getting confused with application and enrollment.  In order to be enrolled, you need to take a course or challenge exam... For COSC, when you apply, you have up to 6 months before you enroll in a course.  If you do not enroll after 6 months, you need to reapply and pay the application fee.

The deadline for changes are coming fast, I think you need to be clear with them and talk to them to get this resolved ASAP.  For those starting from scratch or near zero, COSC wouldn't be the best option but will remain the cheapest of the Big 3, you may take a look at the other Big 3 offerings as well as Competency Based degree providers out there such as Brandman.

Let's randomly take a college, NMJC.  Their out of state resident tuition is $70, 24x70=$1680.  The price isn't all that bad, it's the amount of time you will need to spend to complete these 24 course credits, in addition to racking up credits for the remainder of the degree.

Do you know if the deposit of $150 "enrolls " you at COSC? My sons have applied, been evaluated and I would like to lock in that eval, but I'd like them to enroll for Fall to avoid paying the $295 student fee this semester. Can this be done?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clepper43's post:
  • NoStudentNoCry
(06-20-2020, 07:58 PM)schlocker Wrote: In August will do around 13 free FEMA,

They no longer accept it. Quote from their website: 

As of June 1, 2020, Charter Oak State College will no longer accept in transfer FEMA Independent Study (IS) Courses. These courses will also not be accepted in our Credit Registry program. The College will continue to accept the FEMA courses that have been reviewed for credit by ACE. Please note: These are not the same as the FEMA IS courses.

(06-21-2020, 05:26 PM)Clepper43 Wrote: Do you know if the deposit of $150 "enrolls " you at COSC? My sons have applied, been evaluated and I would like to lock in that eval, but I'd like them to enroll for Fall to avoid paying the $295 student fee this semester. Can this be done?

Per my advisor, yes, the deposit "enrolls" you and you'll need to pay student fee even if you don't take a class that term.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
Wahhhh (crying sound).

So if we don't want to pay the $295 fee now, we risk losing some credits even though they evaluated before the July 1 deadline?

We just might have to opt in in the fall. Not great timing and today is the deadline.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  timeline for applying - enrolling Clepper43 9 2,237 12-11-2021, 11:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  July 1 2021 -- tuition changes - you may qualify for in-state rates bluebooger 0 881 07-04-2021, 06:54 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  What are current COSC/FEMA options? bethanyneedsajob 5 1,999 06-28-2019, 10:43 PM
Last Post: syzygylym
  Science w/ a Lab -- let's talk about options! edbrain 13 2,614 05-15-2019, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Learnfordegree
Lightbulb COSC - Cyber Security UL options SuperTal 3 1,834 09-18-2018, 08:59 AM
Last Post: topdog98