Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Schmidt is working to launch a university that would rival Stanford and MIT
As far as I can tell, the US Digital Service Academy spoken about in the article appears to be a training arm for the US Digital Service (usds.gov) focusing on things like Cybersecurity and Artificial Intelligence. I don't get the impression that they are awarding actual degrees, rather they are providing training with the goal of funneling new tech talent into US Government jobs.

To me, the article seems a bit disingenuous since this doesn't really seem like a "university" or something that will really compete against MIT and Stanford. Of course, I may just be misunderstanding what they are doing, and it will be an accredited degree-awarding higher learning institution by the time it is done.

Either way, it is interesting and I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Ex-Google CEO Eric Schmidt is working to launch a university that would rival Stanford and MIT and funnel tech workers into government work (businessinsider.com)
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • collegehacked, nomaduser
This article refers to another: https://onezero.medium.com/former-google...2df09c5bce

"The Digital Service Academy would theoretically supply the United States with a fresh stream of young talent already ideologically invested in serving the federal government."

That sounds awfully ominous.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 2 users Like SteveFoerster's post:
  • ss20ts, StoicJ
(07-22-2020, 08:59 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote: This article refers to another: https://onezero.medium.com/former-google...2df09c5bce

"The Digital Service Academy would theoretically supply the United States with a fresh stream of young talent already ideologically invested in serving the federal government."

That sounds awfully ominous.

The Swamp!
Why would anyone want to work for the government capturing our data? I mean I get that he has ties to government which leads to $$$$$$. But that's $$$$$ the average Joe would never see. What good has ever come from being in bed with the government?
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Johann, SteveFoerster, StoicJ
Looks like this is where  programmers go to be programmed. Person in, Cyborg out? I guess if "they" use dirty tricks, your head guys figure "you" have to, as well. Could be a response to Kim Il Military University in Pyongyang - or some elite hacker schools in Russia and China. Article here on North Korean hacking. "Beyond Imagination" they say. This is what the West is up against, I guess.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/nor...d=50408945

North Korean Government-trained hackers are well-motivated. They get "superior treatment" i.e. they have a reasonable chance of being adequately fed - a better chance than many NK citizens. Being in the army there USED to mean that, but I read that recent successful ex-army fence-jumpers have shown up with parasites etc. consistent with poor food. Things seem to go from bad to worse there. We'd better hope a lot of these things don't start to happen here.
(07-22-2020, 12:12 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Why would anyone want to work for the government capturing our data? I mean I get that he has ties to government which leads to $$$$$$. But that's $$$$$ the average Joe would never see. What good has ever come from being in bed with the government?

Someone who doesn't like the sight of his/her country being challenged by a third-rate power like modern Russia?

Whether this flies or not, there is nothing inherently omnious here. In my graduate department, two of the professors were ex-military, including the resident cybersecurity expert. This just extends what is already practiced to the civilian public service.
(07-28-2020, 03:05 AM)Stanislav Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 12:12 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Why would anyone want to work for the government capturing our data? I mean I get that he has ties to government which leads to $$$$$$. But that's $$$$$ the average Joe would never see. What good has ever come from being in bed with the government?

Someone who doesn't like the sight of his/her country being challenged by a third-rate power like modern Russia?

The feds seem to be much more interesting in surveiling their own citizens. Only a cast iron fool would believe that everything we do online isn't archived in the NSA's Utah Data Center. It's not just what they do, it's who they are.

[-] The following 3 users Like SteveFoerster's post:
  • Johann, ss20ts, StoicJ
I live next door in Canada and I wouldn't doubt my online antics are stored there too. Happy spying, fellas. I'll try to keep it interesting for you!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johann's post:
  • lillingworth
(07-28-2020, 09:44 AM)Johann Wrote: I live next door in Canada and I wouldn't doubt my online antics are stored there too. Happy spying, fellas. I'll try to keep it interesting for you!

That's different. We definitely need to keep an eye on you guys!  Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 226 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,619 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,563 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,940 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 28,711 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 602 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,245 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,618 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 353 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 483 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar