Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interested in Second Masters
Hello all,

I am interested in pursuing my second masters degree and would like to seek advice. I have 8 months of GI Bill remaining and I would love to get the highest ROI degree I can find.

Some I have considered include:
Georgia Tech - OMSA
Duke - MSQM
U Texas Austin - MSDS
Cornell - MSBA
MIT - MS-SCM
UMich - MS-SCM
UIUC - iMSA

For background on myself I have a Bachelor of Arts in Org Leadership (3.7 GPA) and an MBA from Boise State University (4.0 GPA).
(12-22-2023, 09:09 PM)Navy_Vet1993 Wrote: Hello all,

I am interested in pursuing my second masters degree and would like to seek advice. I have 8 months of GI Bill remaining and I would love to get the highest ROI degree I can find.

Some I have considered include:
Georgia Tech - OMSA
Duke - MSQM
U Texas Austin - MSDS
Cornell - MSBA
MIT - MS-SCM
UMich - MS-SCM
UIUC - iMSA

For background on myself I have a Bachelor of Arts in Org Leadership (3.7 GPA) and an MBA from Boise State University (4.0 GPA).

Liberty University Online is military friendly and only charges $300/credit hour for graduate work, you could also get into their doctorate program.

Western Governor's University (WGU)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) - Accepted/TBD
ENEB/Universidad Isabel I
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) - 2023
- Master in Management and Team Management - 2023
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies - 2019
Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)
- Associate of Applied Science in Information Systems Technology - 2003

Multiple CLEP, DANTES, Saylor, Straighterline credits.

Professional Certifications
Project Management Professional (PMP)

Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
HelpDesk Institute Support Center Director (HDI-SCD)

What is your budget for those degrees you've listed? Most of them are Analytics, Data Science, is that the field you're looking to go into? I suggest any of the ones available with Coursera or Edx, the ones you have named seem good. If you're looking for management, the MOOC's from Coursera/Edx are options as well...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
What master's are you going for? Cornell is Ivy League so that will open doors for you. MIT may open doors depending on your career and possibly location. The question is do you have the GI funds to cover the cost of either of those 2? I know they're very costly especially compared to the other on your list. Duke isn't cheap either.
Hello Navy_Vet!

I graduated from the Duke MSQM program in May 2023, so I could answer any questions that you have about the program.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatBankDude's post:
  • origamishuttle
(12-22-2023, 09:48 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: What is your budget for those degrees you've listed? Most of them are Analytics, Data Science, is that the field you're looking to go into? I suggest any of the ones available with Coursera or Edx, the ones you have named seem good.  If you're looking for management, the MOOC's from Coursera/Edx are options as well...
I’m fine with spending up around 40k on the degree out of pocket, so long as it means a yearly salary increase that is comparable. I still have 8 months of GI Bill remaining and my job will pay for $6200 per year for tuition. So, all of these should be in the ballpark but some like UT Austin and Georgia Tech I would graduate debt-free but that is only a small consideration.

My goal is to pivot to big name management consulting from Operations Management in a mid-sized market. So, name and brand are very important.

(12-23-2023, 10:50 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: Hello Navy_Vet!

I graduated from the Duke MSQM program in May 2023, so I could answer any questions that you have about the program.
Great! Thank you. I’m interested in your perceived ROI of the program in the months since graduation. Do you believe that this greatly expanded your network and gave career boosting results? I’m currently a senior ops manager with an MBA from Boise State but I’m interested in moving to the South or Midwest and going from mid/small market to bigger one with a better total comp. 

What would you say the difficulty of the program is compared to your MBA? I don’t have much tech experience or useful knowledge of R or Python.
(12-23-2023, 11:52 AM)Navy_Vet1993 Wrote:
(12-22-2023, 09:48 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: What is your budget for those degrees you've listed? Most of them are Analytics, Data Science, is that the field you're looking to go into? I suggest any of the ones available with Coursera or Edx, the ones you have named seem good.  If you're looking for management, the MOOC's from Coursera/Edx are options as well...
I’m fine with spending up around 40k on the degree out of pocket, so long as it means a yearly salary increase that is comparable. I still have 8 months of GI Bill remaining and my job will pay for $6200 per year for tuition. So, all of these should be in the ballpark but some like UT Austin and Georgia Tech I would graduate debt-free but that is only a small consideration.

My goal is to pivot to big name management consulting from Operations Management in a mid-sized market. So, name and brand are very important.

(12-23-2023, 10:50 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: Hello Navy_Vet!

Great! Thank you. I’m interested in your perceived ROI of the program in the months since graduation. Do you believe that this greatly expanded your network and gave career boosting results? I’m currently a senior ops manager with an MBA from Boise State but I’m interested in moving to the South or Midwest and going from mid/small market to bigger one with a better total comp. 

What would you say the difficulty of the program is compared to your MBA? I don’t have much tech experience or useful knowledge of R or Python.
In terms of network expansion, I absolutely believe it did expand my network. I have connections at Walt Disney, Meta, Fidelity, Google, as well as some top banks. My cohort was very impressive professionally and academically.

I moved out of general operations and into an analyst position and since then, I’ve had several large employers reach out to me trying to recruit me but I enjoy my team and where I am located. In terms of total comp, I went into the program making just under $50K/year and right now, I am making right around $100K/year. 

It is certainly a more difficult program when compared to an MBA. My MBA was a cake walk as it is just general business courses and even the “quant” courses were more analyzing output of data versus cleaning raw data, analyzing, creating visualizations, etc. In the MSQM program you will learn R and Python pretty extensively and learn about NLP, CV, etc.

I tell people who ask me all the time, this is a program that will give you a great foundation to build on but it is not a program to make you a Data Scientist. If you want to be a Data Scientist, I recommend a MS in Statistics, Math, or Computer Science.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
(12-23-2023, 11:52 AM)Navy_Vet1993 Wrote: My goal is to pivot to big name management consulting from Operations Management in a mid-sized market. So, name and brand are very important.

I am in the Midwest and work for a large global employer, if you are interested in moving this direction and working for a military friendly employer (with amazing tuition reimbursement) go ahead and PM me. Us Navy folks need to stick together.
In Progress: 
Excelsior - BPS Business and Management
Study.com - Business 307, Sociology 305, Psychology 315
ASU - Algebra, PreCalc, Calculus
Luna - Bio2 Lab

Completed: 
Universidad Isabel I - MBA/Master Bus & Corp Comm
Kirkwood - AAS Business Administration, Certificate of Human Resources 3.8 GPA
Excelsior - AAS Applied Technologies Electronics 4.0 GPA
TADA - Google Project Management, Google Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
CSM Learn
US Navy (Electronics Tech 3rd Class) - NER-ET-004, NV-2202-0165 V02, NV-1715-1788 V01, NV-1715-1796 V01, NV-1715-1585 V01, NV-1715-1336 V02

TECEP: 9 Credits
Man-3730, OPM-3010, Bus-3110

Study.com: 6 Credits
Philosophy 301

Lawshelf: 15 Credits
BUS-201, BUS-301, BUS-302, GOV-202, EMP-301

CLEP: 48 Credits
College Math, Financial Accounting, Principles of Micro & Macroeconomics, Intro Sociology, Intro Psychology, Analyze and Interpreting Literature, Intro Business Law, Principles of Marketing, Biology, US History 1 & 2, Humanities

DSST: 9 Credits
Principles of Public Speaking, Ethics in America, Principles of Supervision
(12-23-2023, 06:54 PM)GameSlinger Wrote:
(12-23-2023, 11:52 AM)Navy_Vet1993 Wrote: My goal is to pivot to big name management consulting from Operations Management in a mid-sized market. So, name and brand are very important.

I am in the Midwest and work for a large global employer, if you are interested in moving this direction and working for a military friendly employer (with amazing tuition reimbursement) go ahead and PM me. Us Navy folks need to stick together.
I pm’d you. Looking forward to connecting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 706 Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 459 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 651 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 366 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,226 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,118 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,820 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 582 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,787 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,219 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat