Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever heard of any of the big 3 grads going on to teach English in a foreign country?
I've noticed in Korea and Japan it's mostly training kids, but in China, adult English training is fairly common. Currently I work for a company that does primarily oral english, almost all students are over 18, and it's not really a traditional school, it's more so for oral practice. These jobs tend to be a lot easier than being a classroom teacher, as you really just let the students have a discussion with each other, and comment on their skills to give them further topics for review on their own time. Also they will send teachers to offices to help the employees brush up on their English, mostly to help them communicate with their foreign colleagues, that's what I'm mostly doing now.

The bottom line in my opinion is that Korea provides a stable, good salary, with well planned out gov't programs that actually benefit you. In China it's a little more risky, you should arrive with money just in case you take a while to find the right job, or need to put down money for a rent deposit. Typically they don't include an apartment with your costs in China, people just are given a monthly amount and they choose it themselves. I personally prefer this, but as a newcomer you might like having everything arranged.

One thing I'll say about China, versus Japan and Korea. In the general case, Chinese LOOK UP to foreigners. You would most likely be thrown in at the front of a store to show off that foreigners eat there. Most of them wish they could have our life, since the majority of them (even upper middle class) never travel abroad and admit to having somewhat sterile lives.

Either way, you'll have fun. These places have so much to see, I've become passionate about travel ever since I came here, and am on vacation at least every 4 months, just like valsacar.

A final thought, how concerned are you about money, would you prefer the experience, a really light work schedule, and pristine beaches? Then I'd go to southeast asia...Thailand or Vietnam.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
Oh, about Japan...now's not the greatest time, but even before that, the market for english teachers, and foreigners in general...not so good last I checked. Everyone wants to go to Japan, much stiffer competition
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
If you do Japan, try out the JET program. It's pretty competitive, but it's probably the best one.

Also, in Korea, the best teaching deals are usually the University gigs. You can do some Google research and read all about the perks. You will need a master's degree at the minimum and at least a year of other teaching will help get your foot in the door.

Also, read up on the differences between public schools and hagwons (private english institutes) Each has it's perks and negs.

Be skeptical of recruiter's claims, and make sure you review any contract thoroughly. Some key things to look out for are the severance package and round trip air fare.

Other than that, the industry is pretty standardized in Korea, just make sure you do your homework and research before you go. Be prepared for culture shock, Korean workplace atmosphere is driven by their culture, and it is a lot different than working in America. You will feel awkward in the beginning, but most likely will adjust and adapt within months if you keep an open mind.
19 DSST attempted - 54 credits awarded (1 unsuccessful)
11 CLEP attempted - 24 credits awarded (5 unsuccessful)
1 ECE attempted - 3 credits

CCAC AA
CCAF AAS
TESC BALS (Dec 2010 graduate)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have any DegreeForum alumni went on to teach in Japan? leland.kirk 9 3,278 09-20-2018, 03:00 PM
Last Post: zzzz24
  TESU English Career Path? renaissancewoman87 14 4,777 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Septmber Grads(TESU) Johmford 0 975 06-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  originalamyj Journey to BA in English from TESU originalamyj 40 7,116 03-31-2018, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
Question TESU BA in English and History rachel83az 6 1,637 03-19-2018, 12:20 AM
Last Post: originalamyj
  TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? leland.kirk 38 8,324 03-05-2018, 05:09 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk
  Trying to grasp all of this. TESU - BA - English BSLIONS 8 1,804 02-23-2018, 02:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BA in English A La Shmoop lmckown 3 1,669 01-15-2018, 01:05 PM
Last Post: originalamyj
  TESU- how do I get an English degree? Keshi 1 1,399 01-14-2018, 01:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU - BALS or BA in ENGLISH? CarpeDiem8 14 5,248 12-30-2017, 08:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore