Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Business Degree and Dental School
My son's ultimate goal is to become a dentist (and possibly move on to becoming an orthodontist).
That said, he would like to obtain a bachelor's degree in business (COSC) prior to dental school.
I am wondering how to proceed with consideration to cost and time spent in classes to meet dental school prerequisites. Most dental schools have prerequisites such as English Composition (6 credits, no pass or fail grades, so no testing out) plus 26 or more credits in sciences (biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, biochemistry etc), many with lab component requirements. Some dental schools require that these be taken at a four year college/university (no community colleges). I would love to hear your thoughts/suggestions because I have been known to overthink things when the logical route is right in front of me. Thanks!
Yes, he will have a very hard time meeting those requirements with COSC. Also, if he aspires to be in the medical profession, and he needs at least 26 credits as prerequisites, why not do a degree that reflects it(biology or other science)?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I agree. He really wants that business degree first...
Your son could do the science degree undergrad and then probably complete a combined dental degree and business degree: DDS/MBA or DMD/MBA. Many professional schools offer degree programs in this manner, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the dental schools offer this option.
I like the idea of a business degree either before or in conjunction with the dental degree. Very wise thought process there.

This is one of those areas where you have to begin with the end in mind. Figure out the options for dental school that he's interested in, then work backwards from there. Take your pre-reqs where you need to - whether it's in-person, at a 4-yr school, whatever. Then take those courses that you'll need. Get that good GPA. Then transfer everything to COSC, along with the remaining courses that he needs for the business degree (ACE/NCCRS), and get that degree. He should then be set for the dental school of his choosing (that he chose before starting the process).

Good luck, and tell him he's very smart to be planning this from the beginning rather than late in the process.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • davewill
I've worked in domestic and international medical sales for years. While I've only worked with a few dentists, I can say that the VAST majority of the physicians and other clinicians who have studied business do so through an MBA. Doctors LOVE extra letters behind their name and a business undergraduate wouldn't do that. Of course, if he can get through it quickly, it might not be a total waste of time... I mean, it would really help understand business concepts if he opens his own practice, OR help him get through his MBA a lot faster when he decides to spend time and money on a degree that will help him a LOT more.

..Just my 2 cents.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(07-18-2018, 02:12 PM)Flowers12 Wrote: My son's ultimate goal is to become a dentist (and possibly move on to becoming an orthodontist).
That said, he would like to obtain a bachelor's degree in business (COSC) prior to dental school.
I am wondering how to proceed with consideration to cost and time spent in classes to meet dental school prerequisites. Most dental schools have prerequisites such as English Composition (6 credits, no pass or fail grades, so no testing out) plus 26 or more credits in sciences (biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, biochemistry etc), many with lab component requirements. Some dental schools require that these be taken at a four year college/university (no community colleges). I would love to hear your thoughts/suggestions because I have been known to overthink things when the logical route is right in front of me. Thanks!

In my opinion, business is an EXCELLENT degree for a potential dentist since most will ultimately own their own practice. (True also for Chiropractors and Vets - unlike MDs and Pharm). Since the sciences will not fit well into a COSC degree plan, my suggestion is to do a post-bac. You can find formal programs with premed/predental/preprofessional health advisory committees that guide the students as well as writing letters of rec and helping them find volunteer spots. Unlike those headed for premed, I love the idea of your predental teen doing his COSC in business, but I do think following up in a formal postbac would be a home run. Of course Harvard has my favorite program https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academ...al-program

I also did some research a while back for my cousin in 2015 - you might find this helpful but I haven't revisited it since then, so might not all be current.

Dental School for FREE

(first posted September 7, 2015)

This is a quick and dirty breakdown- I did some research for a family member, and want to share it with all of you here!

I found 3 paths to get free tuition. All three require a big commitment, and are competitive. All three are zero out of pocket- meaning these are not reimbursement programs.

1) Doing a combined DDS/PhD program.
2) NHSC scholarships for DDS program
3) Military Health Professionals Scholarship for DDS program

1. Combined Program
In a nutshell, doing a combined DDS / PhD program means full tuition plus being paid a stipend for your living expenses. This is a more economical way to go through the DDS program, where you’d have to pay full tuition and wouldn’t receive a stipend; however these are competitive and require research / dissertation in addition to the regular demands of earning the DDS.
I did a Google search “DDS and PhD with stipend” to get a started. I found that the schools offering these programs were public schools, not private, so my list is small-just a few minutes of looking. You can probably search all the public universities to find even more.

University of Minnesota http://dentistry.umn.edu/…/ora…/curricul.../index.htm

University of Connecticut http://sdm.uchc.edu/programs/advanced/t90/dmd_phd.html

University of Michigan http://www.dent.umich.edu/resear…/ohs-ph...hd-program

University of Maryland https://www.dental.umaryland.edu/…/combi...d-program/

University of Washington https://dental.washington.edu/…/graduate...n…/ddsphd/

2. NHSC Scholarship for DDS

She should apply for the National Health Services Corps scholarship. They award 330 of these each year, so it’s competitive. This pays 100% tuition, $1316 per month stipend, all books, clinical supplies, uniforms, etc. are covered. Plus, her undergraduate educational loans *may* be eligible for forgiveness though this program. It requires a 1:1 service commitment. For each year she gets the award, she has to work in a Health Professionals Shortage Area for 1 year.

3. Military Health Professions Scholarship for DDS

These scholarships pay 100% tuition for the DDS and are offered through the Army, Navy, and Air Force. While in dental school of your choice, the student is placed on “inactive” reserve, and upon graduation, will begin their service obligation. You have to already have your bachelor’s degree in and receive acceptance into a dental program before you see the recruiter. They are all about the same. You get a $20,000 sign on bonus, $2,000 per month stipend, textbooks are provided, 100% of DDS tuition is covered, and you are required to provide 4 years of military dental service in exchange for the scholarship.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,152 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,272 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,618 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,775 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,748 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,937 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,935 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,302 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,652 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero