Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior BA Humanities
Music 
Hi Y'all!  I recently decided to get a degree and have been researching different options and courses.  I've started a degree plan but now I'm feeling quite overwhelmed with all the options and information!  I feel like I'm stuck and could use some help and direction.  Would you mind looking over it and giving me some suggestions?  Especially if I've categorized something wrong or if you know a better/cheaper course to take.  Anything would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I'm confused on whether or not I should apply to the school now and wait to enroll or if I wait on both until I'm closer to being ready to start their classes?

A little background info that may or may not help - 
*I eventually want to work in the non-profit classical music world, preferably for a Symphony in some capacity.  Thus why I landed on the BA in Humanities - potentially with a concentration in Fine Arts.  I can't seem to find any specific information on the concentrations though so I don't know if I'm headed in the right direction with my plan or not.  
*I have 9-12 credits from CLEP tests I took 10 years ago. (Anal.&Inter. Lit, US History 1, US History 2)
*I would love to finish the degree in 1 1/2 years, but definitely within 2.  I would like to test out of as much as possible, but I'm also willing to take a semester or so of courses with the college.  (Especially since it doesn't seem like there are many Fine Arts options available to take online.)  I'm more focused on finishing within my time frame than the cost though I certainly prefer it to be as cost-effective as possible.  I'm hoping to devote 20-30 hours a week to working on the degree.

Thank you so much!

.xlsx   Excelsior BA Humanities.xlsx (Size: 13.79 KB / Downloads: 3)
They do have a Fine Arts concentration for that degree. https://www.excelsior.edu/programs/liber...lor-degree

You may want to consider TESU's Music degree. Humanities is pretty broad. https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/Music.cfm

However, specific degrees are usually more expensive. Even the Fine Arts would be more expensive than some others. I'm not sure 1 semester would be enough for Music or Fine Arts since you have only 20-30 hours a week.

Trying to find Upper Level courses in Fine Arts is going to be expensive, unfortunately. Honestly, if you don't already have some of those credits, I might look at something else.

And, Excelsior charges per-term rates, so you're better off waiting to enroll until you have your degree planned out, and a lot of credits under your belt.

You might want to think about something like TESU's BA in Liberal Studies degree, which can be fully tested out of except the Capstone. You could save your money for a master's degree instead. You can take courses in whatever area you'd like. And with 20-30 hours a week taking inexpensive ACE/NCCRS courses, you could be done in 6 months or less, for less than $7k.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-20-2018, 08:23 PM)Ideas Wrote: They do have a Fine Arts concentration for that degree. https://www.excelsior.edu/programs/liber...lor-degree

You may want to consider TESU's Music degree. Humanities is pretty broad. https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/Music.cfm

However, specific degrees are usually more expensive. Even the Fine Arts would be more expensive than some others. I'm not sure 1 semester would be enough for Music or Fine Arts since you have only 20-30 hours a week.

Yes, I'd like to do the concentration but I can't find info on the number of credits it is or what they consider to be part of the courses acceptable for it.

TESU's Music degree isn't fully online/distance so it's not an option for me.  Very few music degrees are available fully online and the ones that are don't accept many transfer credits so they're quite expensive.  That's why I'm looking at Humanities since I can potentially make it more arts related.
I don't like how Excelsior doesn't give you the full scoop on how to fulfill the degree requirements.

For TESU, even if you do the BALS in Humanities, you get to choose what you want to take, and they have tons of options for how to do it.  It's very clear what you can do, and you can plan it out ahead of time.  I just find their degree plans easier to deal with.

Here's a copy of a generic plan that is just a BALS, but you can plan in all kinds of courses that fit the Humanities area of study.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU 2016 BALS.xlsx (Size: 45.8 KB / Downloads: 10)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-20-2018, 08:54 PM)TexasTink Wrote: Yes, I'd like to do the concentration but I can't find info on the number of credits it is or what they consider to be part of the courses acceptable for it.

Did you look at the catalog? I think they give enough info to help you decide. One survey course, which they give about 10 example classes for, plus 5 other courses about Fine Arts, which they also have some examples for. That means the concentration has 18 credits. The 5 classes are flexible.

TESU would only be a Liberal Studies degree with Humanities concentration, but it would be quicker and cheaper, unless you really like the classroom.

(03-20-2018, 09:05 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't like how Excelsior doesn't give you the full scoop on how to fulfill the degree requirements.

For TESU, even if you do the BALS in Humanities, you get to choose what you want to take, and they have tons of options for how to do it.  It's very clear what you can do, and you can plan it out ahead of time.  I just find their degree plans easier to deal with.

Here's a copy of a generic plan that is just a BALS, but you can plan in all kinds of courses that fit the Humanities area of study.

Yes, that's been a big frustration as I was trying to make a plan.  It would seem I would need to take at least 15 hours from the college for the Fine Arts section plus the 5 required from Excelsior.  I'm not opposed to taking some classes from them, it just depends on how many it would require.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I'm going to spend some time looking through the different BALS plans here.  I do like the idea of getting done before the end of the year and for that price so I very well may just go that direction. I don't know about a Master's degree yet, but I've found lots of free or cheap music courses I could take afterwards to add to my experience and knowledge.

Quote:Did you look at the catalog? I think they give enough info to help you decide. One survey course, which they give about 10 example classes for, plus 5 other courses about Fine Arts, which they also have some examples for. That means the concentration has 18 credits. The 5 classes are flexible.

TESU would only be a Liberal Studies degree with Humanities concentration, but it would be quicker and cheaper, unless you really like the classroom.

Thanks!  Sorry, I wasn't sure how to read that section.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,131 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,852 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,264 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 943 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,236 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,748 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,201 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,340 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 1,813 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn