Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help new to Excelsior
Hi new to this forum, I was wondering if I could get some help. I just signed up for a BS in marketing through Excelsior and was trying to find help to get through it in the quickest way possible, I am waiting for my credits to transfer over from my old community college, I took a few classes there. I am very interested in testing out of as many classes as I can. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Welcome Toby,
So you are currently waiting for your official evaluation. Once its complete you be able to log in and check your "MAP" which will tell you what you need to complete in order to get your degree. Things are beginning change in the landscape of testing out with a number of exams being reduced to lower level status in the next few days, Never fear there are ways around that which you'll discover as you go along.
I presume you are getting a Business degree and Marketing is you concentration? You'll need to meet the residency requirement at Excelsior in order to graduate which currently stands at 12 credits in house if you are in a partnership program. You'll have to clarify that with an advisor. If you click on this link Excelsior College | Other Exam Options you'll find the list of exams that they will take and apply towards your degree plan. You may need to be strategic in how you take your tests so that they are assigned to your requirements in the way that best suits you and not the college. For example I had to that an ethics course to meet the requirement but because all my electives were already met I took the test but the credits don't stack towards my final 120 although it does show that I met the requirement. The advisors recommend dealing with your core concentrations first and then move on to fill in your Gen Ed requirements this isn't a bad idea as you get to progress rapidly in your field through testing out instead of slowly taking classes. Remember that many of the 38,000 students at Excelsior are not testing out of multiple classes as you intend to do so some advisors I have found aren't up to speed on what tests cover what course. Each advisor deals with about 2,000 students a year, generally I have found that the business school advisors are on the ball and you should get clear answers. I always ask them to approve a test it and apply it to my MAP and it will remain there for a few months so you have an idea what your plan was. There are some wise Excelsior students in here that will point you in the right direction. 1st step is to find out the minimum amount of credits you need in house in order to meet the requirements. Then come back and ask a few more questions.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,827 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,168 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,923 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,292 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 961 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,262 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,775 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,218 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,389 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 1,855 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn