Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Degree Plan - questions on UL credit sources
(06-25-2019, 12:49 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: Is Fundamentals of Cyber Security hard for non-IT Professionals?

I would run through all three TEEX cybersecurity courses to get a gauge on your question.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(06-21-2019, 01:33 AM)dfrecore Wrote: One thing to remember: it's not about looking backwards at what you've completed and how those fit into the plan, it's about looking forward at what it will cost to complete the plan!  That's much more important.

That being said, with a BALS, if those credits count, you may be better off wherever you get more credits.  But, since I don't know how courses come into EC and what will work for UL there, I'm not going to be able to help there.

The UExcel exams will be the easiest to figure out where they'll apply, since they're EC's own exams.  That being said, they're supposed to be harder than some of the other ones, you have to go to a Pearson VUE testing center to take them (and pay $60 per exam for fees), and I think they're more expensive ($145ish).

DSST's are $85, and then testing center fees will vary.

Study.com is $199/mo and includes 2 exams.  They have a TON of UL options, but I have zero clue about how EC will bring them in.  They used to follow ACE guidelines for that, I don't know if that's changed.

Saylor is free to take the course, and then $25/exam. No UL that I know of.

TECEP's are $225 for the UL courses, and there is no proctor fee (it's included if I remember correctly)

COSC is the cheapest, but that's when comparing apples-to-apples - when you take into account credits already earned, the math changes.

If you posted the courses your wife has taken, and then the 3 evals, that would probably help.

WGU is normally fast to do evals, and they take NA credit - but they don't have a BALS/BSLS.  So she'd have to go business degree.

Sorry, I meant to say in my last post that it looks like DSST cost of exams is $105 or about $550 total for 15 credits (5 DSST courses) vs. about $1000-1500 for total cost of the UExcel exams.  I will wait to get responses from the board before I enter my estimate of the courses.

Wife's credits achieved already:

Kent State University (D grade or better that transfers. EC doesn't take D grades. COSC/TESU does, however, EC takes NA credits)

College Orientation - 1 cr
English Composition 1 - 3 cr.
English Composition 2 - 3 cr.
Art of the Theater - 3 cr.
Business Writing - 2 cr. 
General Psychology -3 cr. 
Introduction to Sociology - 3 cr.
Fundamentals of Chemistry - 3 cr
7 Ideas that Shook the Universe (Physics) - 3 cr
Introduction to College Math - 3 cr (not sure if this is considered "College" level like standard College Algebra course) 3 cr
Auditory Comprehension Strategies, 2 cr
Dance Exercise, 1 cr
Tennis, 1 cr
Principles of Macroeconomics, 3 cr
Great Books 2, 3 cr
Intro to Financial Accounting, 3 cr
Human Sexuality, 3 cr
Total: 43 hours

Virginia Marti College of Art and Design (2 year career art school)

History of Art 1 - 3 qtr hr
History of Art 2 - 3 qtr hr
Basic Color Theory - 3 qtr hr
Graphics in Interior Design - 3 qtr hr
Salesmanship - 3 qtr hr
Public Relations - 3 qtr hr
Graphic Tech 1 Drafting - 3 qtr hr
Design Fundamentals - 2 qtr hr
Graphics in Interior Design - 2 qtr hr
Intro to Interior Design - 3 qtr hr
Graphic Tech 2 Draft - 3 qtr hr
Interior Design 1 - 3 qtr hr
Space Planning 2 Commercial - 3 qtr hr
Rendering Tech 1 - 3 qtr hr
Rendering Tech 2 - 3 qtr hr
Computer Aided Design (CAD) 1 - 2 qtr hr
Total = 45 hours

Excelsior took the quarter hours = 1.33 semester hours.

I will post the Big 3 evaluations in another post. I should be getting the WGU evaluation back next week.

Excelsior Credit Evaluation/Advising Worksheet

Degree Code: BSL
1. Degree Template.
Arts and Sciences Credits (60) + Additional Credits (60) = Total Degree Credits Required (120)
Credits
Needed
ARTS AND SCIENCES
Arts and Sciences Lower Level 10.67
Arts and Sciences Upper Level 21.00
TOTAL ARTS AND SCIENCES REMAINING 31.67
APPLIED PROFESSIONAL or ADDITIONAL ARTS AND SCIENCES
Any Academic Area Lower Level 21.35
Any Academic Area Upper Level 9.00
TOTAL IN ANY ACADEMIC AREA REMAINING 30.35
Totals listed above must include the following requirements: 0.00
General Education Requirement:
Written English 0.00
Humanities Distribution 0.00
Humanities Requirement 0.00
Ethics 2.00
Social Sciences/History Distribution 3.00
Natural Sciences/Math Distribution 5.00
Math Requirement 2.00
Natural Science requirement 2.00
Information Literacy 1.00
Capstone Course Requirement 3.00
Depth Requirement in the Arts and Sciences (Depth 1) (included in the total Arts and Sciences)
Upper Level Depth 1 6.00
Lower Level Depth 1 9.00
Depth Requirement in Any Academic Area (Depth 2)
Upper Level Depth 2 6.00
Lower Level Depth 2 9.00
* Humanities core requires coursework outside of writing in disciplines such as art, music and philosophy.
** The Depth Requirement is comprised of 15 credits, including 6 upper level, in a single discipline.
Note: Overall, a minimum of thirty upper level credits are required for degree completion. Often times the number of upper
level credits required exceeds the number of "total arts and sciences" and/or the number of "total additional requirements"
needed. In these cases students are required to earn the greater number of credits.
Page 3 of 5
Bachelor of Science Degree, Liberal Arts

2. List of credits preliminarily reviewed toward your Excelsior College degree requirements.
Courses/exams that are not applicable to the remaining degree requirements are not included on the list of credits
preliminarily reviewed.
Excelsior College does not award credit for high-school level GED examinations, continuing education units,
Carnegie units or orientation courses. Transfer credits with a grade of D along with remedial and/or non-degree
level courses are not transferable. Any courses falling into these categories will not be reflected on the
Preliminary Review. A maximum of two semester hours of credit can be awarded for physical education courses.
Excess physical education credit will not be reflected on the Preliminary Review.
Symbol Courses Applied Credits Level Depth

KENT STATE UNIVERSITY
SPA*10001 AUDITORY COMP:STRAT&SKILL 2.0 L
# ENG*10001 COLLEGE ENGLISH I 3.0 L
PSYC*11762 GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY 3.0 L
PEB*13003 DANCE EXERCISE 1.0 L
# ENG*10002 COLLEGE ENGLISH II 3.0 L
ENG*20001 BUSINESS WRITING 3.0 L
SOC*12050 INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY 3.0 L
PEB*10904 TENNIS 1.0 L
THEA*11000 THE ART OF THE THEATRE 3.0 L
H ENG*24072 GREAT BOOKS II 3.0 L
HED*22544 HUMAN SEXUALITY 3.0 L
VIRGINIA MARTI COLLEGE
G*160 HISTORY OF ART I 2.0 L
B*104 INTRO. TO COMPUTERS 1.33 L
B*225 SALESMANSHIP 2.0 L
B*220 PUBLIC RELATIONS 2.0 L
ID*102 GRAPHIC TECH 2 - DRAFT 2.0 L
BID*150 INTRO - INTERIOR DES 2.0 L
Page 4 of 5

ID*275 GRAPHICS IN INT DES 1.33 L
ID*111 DESIGN FUNDAMENTALS 1.33 L
G*161 HISTORY OF ART II 2.0 L
B*110 BASIC COLOR THEORY 1.33 L
ID*101 GRAPHIC TECH I -DRAFT 2.0 L
ID*271 INTERIOR DESIGN I 2.0 L
ID*272 INTERIOR DESIGN II 2.0 L
ID*190 COMP. AIDED DES. I 1.33 L
ID*126 RENDERING TECH. 2 1.33 L
ID*125 RENDERING TECH. 1 2.0 L
ID*237 SPACE PLANNING 2 COM 2.0 L
SYMBOL KEY
H Humanities Core Requirement Satisfied
# English Requirement Satisfied

(06-25-2019, 02:23 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote:
(06-21-2019, 01:33 AM)dfrecore Wrote: One thing to remember: it's not about looking backwards at what you've completed and how those fit into the plan, it's about looking forward at what it will cost to complete the plan!  That's much more important.

That being said, with a BALS, if those credits count, you may be better off wherever you get more credits.  But, since I don't know how courses come into EC and what will work for UL there, I'm not going to be able to help there.

The UExcel exams will be the easiest to figure out where they'll apply, since they're EC's own exams.  That being said, they're supposed to be harder than some of the other ones, you have to go to a Pearson VUE testing center to take them (and pay $60 per exam for fees), and I think they're more expensive ($145ish).

Study.com is $199/mo and includes 2 exams.  They have a TON of UL options, but I have zero clue about how EC will bring them in.  They used to follow ACE guidelines for that, I don't know if that's changed.

TECEP's are $225 for the UL courses, and there is no proctor fee (it's included if I remember correctly)

COSC is the cheapest, but that's when comparing apples-to-apples - when you take into account credits already earned, the math changes.

If you posted the courses your wife has taken, and then the 3 evals, that would probably help.

WGU is normally fast to do evals, and they take NA credit - but they don't have a BALS/BSLS.  So she'd have to go business degree.

Sorry, I meant to say in my last post that it looks like DSST cost of exams is $105 or about $550 total for 15 credits (5 DSST courses) vs. about $1000-1500 for total cost of the UExcel exams.  I will wait to get responses from the board before I enter my estimate of the courses.

Wife's credits achieved already:

Kent State University (D grade or better that transfers. EC doesn't take D grades. COSC/TESU does, however, EC takes NA credits)

College Orientation - 1 cr
English Composition 1 - 3 cr.
English Composition 2 - 3 cr.
Art of the Theater - 3 cr.
Business Writing - 2 cr. 
General Psychology -3 cr. 
Introduction to Sociology - 3 cr.
Fundamentals of Chemistry - 3 cr
7 Ideas that Shook the Universe (Physics) - 3 cr
Introduction to College Math - 3 cr (not sure if this is considered "College" level like standard College Algebra course) 3 cr
Auditory Comprehension Strategies, 2 cr
Dance Exercise, 1 cr
Tennis, 1 cr
Principles of Macroeconomics, 3 cr
Great Books 2, 3 cr
Intro to Financial Accounting, 3 cr
Human Sexuality, 3 cr
Total: 43 hours

Virginia Marti College of Art and Design (2 year career art school)

History of Art 1 - 3 qtr hr
History of Art 2 - 3 qtr hr
Basic Color Theory - 3 qtr hr
Graphics in Interior Design - 3 qtr hr
Salesmanship - 3 qtr hr
Public Relations - 3 qtr hr
Graphics in Interior Design - 2 qtr hr
Intro to Interior Design - 3 qtr hr
Graphic Tech 2 Draft - 3 qtr hr
Interior Design 1 - 3 qtr hr
Space Planning 2 Commercial - 3 qtr hr
Rendering Tech 1 - 3 qtr hr
Rendering Tech 2 - 3 qtr hr
Computer Aided Design (CAD) 1 - 2 qtr hr
Total = 45 hours

Excelsior took the quarter hours = 1.33 semester hours.

I will post the Big 3 evaluations in another post. I should be getting the WGU evaluation back next week.

Excelsior Credit Evaluation/Advising Worksheet

1. Degree Template.
Arts and Sciences Credits (60) + Additional Credits (60) = Total Degree Credits Required (120)
Credits
Needed
ARTS AND SCIENCES
Arts and Sciences Lower Level 10.67
Arts and Sciences Upper Level 21.00
TOTAL ARTS AND SCIENCES REMAINING 31.67
APPLIED PROFESSIONAL or ADDITIONAL ARTS AND SCIENCES
Any Academic Area Lower Level 21.35
Any Academic Area Upper Level 9.00
TOTAL IN ANY ACADEMIC AREA REMAINING 30.35
Totals listed above must include the following requirements: 0.00
General Education Requirement:
Written English 0.00
Humanities Distribution 0.00
Humanities Requirement 0.00
Ethics 2.00
Social Sciences/History Distribution 3.00
Natural Sciences/Math Distribution 5.00
Math Requirement 2.00
Natural Science requirement 2.00
Information Literacy 1.00
Capstone Course Requirement 3.00
Depth Requirement in the Arts and Sciences (Depth 1) (included in the total Arts and Sciences)
Upper Level Depth 1 6.00
Lower Level Depth 1 9.00
Depth Requirement in Any Academic Area (Depth 2)
Upper Level Depth 2 6.00
Lower Level Depth 2 9.00
* Humanities core requires coursework outside of writing in disciplines such as art, music and philosophy.
** The Depth Requirement is comprised of 15 credits, including 6 upper level, in a single discipline.
Note: Overall, a minimum of thirty upper level credits are required for degree completion. Often times the number of upper
level credits required exceeds the number of "total arts and sciences" and/or the number of "total additional requirements"
needed. In these cases students are required to earn the greater number of credits.
Page 3 of 5

2. List of credits preliminarily reviewed toward your Excelsior College degree requirements.
Courses/exams that are not applicable to the remaining degree requirements are not included on the list of credits
preliminarily reviewed.
Excelsior College does not award credit for high-school level GED examinations, continuing education units,
Carnegie units or orientation courses. Transfer credits with a grade of D along with remedial and/or non-degree
level courses are not transferable. Any courses falling into these categories will not be reflected on the
Preliminary Review. A maximum of two semester hours of credit can be awarded for physical education courses.
Excess physical education credit will not be reflected on the Preliminary Review.

KENT STATE UNIVERSITY
SPA*10001 AUDITORY COMP:STRAT&SKILL 2.0 L
# ENG*10001 COLLEGE ENGLISH I 3.0 L
PSYC*11762 GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY 3.0 L
PEB*13003 DANCE EXERCISE 1.0 L
# ENG*10002 COLLEGE ENGLISH II 3.0 L
ENG*20001 BUSINESS WRITING 3.0 L
SOC*12050 INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY 3.0 L
PEB*10904 TENNIS 1.0 L
THEA*11000 THE ART OF THE THEATRE 3.0 L
H ENG*24072 GREAT BOOKS II 3.0 L
HED*22544 HUMAN SEXUALITY 3.0 L
VIRGINIA MARTI COLLEGE
G*160 HISTORY OF ART I 2.0 L
B*104 INTRO. TO COMPUTERS 1.33 L
B*225 SALESMANSHIP 2.0 L
B*220 PUBLIC RELATIONS 2.0 L
ID*102 GRAPHIC TECH 2 - DRAFT 2.0 L
BID*150 INTRO - INTERIOR DES 2.0 L
Page 4 of 5

ID*275 GRAPHICS IN INT DES 1.33 L
ID*111 DESIGN FUNDAMENTALS 1.33 L
G*161 HISTORY OF ART II 2.0 L
B*110 BASIC COLOR THEORY 1.33 L
ID*101 GRAPHIC TECH I -DRAFT 2.0 L
ID*271 INTERIOR DESIGN I 2.0 L
ID*272 INTERIOR DESIGN II 2.0 L
ID*190 COMP. AIDED DES. I 1.33 L
ID*126 RENDERING TECH. 2 1.33 L
ID*125 RENDERING TECH. 1 2.0 L
ID*237 SPACE PLANNING 2 COM 2.0 L
SYMBOL KEY
H Humanities Core Requirement Satisfied
# English Requirement Satisfied

Degree Information: (Catalog Year 1819)
Major 1: General Studies
Concentration 1: Individualized Studies
Concentration 3: Not Yet Approved
Academic Standing:
Classification:
Last Term Attended GPA:
Career GPA:
Career Hours Earned: 35.00

Advisee Information:
Advisor #1: Counselor, Admissions
Cornerstone Seminar (NOT MET)
Cornerstone Seminar:....................................................................................................................................................................0.00 Hours Earned
Cornerstone Seminar
IDS101 Cornerstone Seminar
General Education Req (NOT MET)
General Education Req:.................................................................................................................................................................18.00 Hours Earned
Oral Communication
(3 credits required)
Written Communication
(6 credits required)
English Composition 1
ENG 10001 College English 1 (ENG101) C 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
English Composition 2
ENG 10002 College English 2 (ENG102) C 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
Ethical Decision-Making
(3 credits required)
Global Understanding
(3 credits required)
Literature & Fine Arts
(3 credits required)
THEA 11000 The Art of the Theatre (THE110) B 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
Mathematics
(3 credits required)
Natural Science
Natural Science with Lab
Natural Science course with Laboratory Required

Charter Oak State College Advising Worksheet Advising Worksheet
General Education Req (NOT MET)
General Education Req:.................................................................................................................................................................18.00 Hours Earned
CHEM 10050 Fund of Chemistry (no lab) (CHE101) D 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
Additional Science Course
Additional Natural Science course (with or without Lab)
Non US History/Culture
(3 credits required)
ENG 24072 Great Books 2 (ENG204) C 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
Social/Behavioral Science
(3 credits required)
PSYC 11762 General Psychology (PSY101) C 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
US History/Government
(3 credits required)
Indiv/Liberal Studi CPS39 (NOT MET) 36.00 Hours Needed
Indiv/Liberal Studi CPS39:..............................................................................................................................................................0.00 Hours Earned
All Individualized/Liberal Studies concentrations must be approved by the Faculty.
CPS Upper Level Req
UPP999 Upper Level Requirements
CPS01 CPS 1st Course
CPS02 CPS 2nd Course
CPS03 CPS 3rd Course
CPS04 CPS 4th Course
CPS05 CPS 5th Course
CPS06 CPS 6th Course
CPS07 CPS 7th Course
CPS08 CPS 8th Course
CPS09 CPS 9th Course
CPS10 CPS 10th Course
CPS11 CPS 11th Course
CPS12 CPS 12th Course
Complete Capstone Reqmt
Complete required Capstone Course(s).
Liberal Arts Req for BS (NOT MET) 60.00 Hours Needed
Liberal Arts Req for BS:...............................................................................................................................................................27.00 Hours Earned
Liberal Arts Courses

Elder, Heather
Charter Oak State College Advising Worksheet Advising Worksheet
Liberal Arts Req for BS (NOT MET) 60.00 Hours Needed
Liberal Arts Req for BS:...............................................................................................................................................................27.00 Hours Earned
CHEM 10050 Fund of Chemistry (no lab) (CHE101) D 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
ECON 22061 Principles Macroeconomics (ECO103) D 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
ENG 10001 College English 1 (ENG101) C 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
ENG 10002 College English 2 (ENG102) C 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
ENG 24072 Great Books 2 (ENG204) C 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
PHY 12050 7 Ideas-Shook Universe (PHY103) D 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
PSYC 11762 General Psychology (PSY101) C 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
SOC 12050 Introduction to Sociology (SOC101) B 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
THEA 11000 The Art of the Theatre (THE110) B 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
Upper Div Req Bachelor (NOT MET)
Upper Div Req Bachelor:.................................................................................................................................................................0.00 Hours Earned
30 Upper Division Credits required for all Bachelor's Degrees
30 cr Upper Div Bachelor
Free Electives 8.00 Hours Earned
33 Free Elective Credits
ENG 20001 Business Writing BUS210 C 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
PEB 10904 Tennis EXS750 B 1.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
PEB 13003 Dance Exercise EXS751 B 1.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
HED 22544 Human Sexuality (Health) HSC750 B 3.00 (TR) Kent State Univ All Campuses
Course Totals (NOT MET)
Hours Needed/Earned:
Hours In Progress:
Count Needed/Earned:
0 / 13
Quality Points Needed/Earned:
GPA Needed/Earned:
120.00 / 35.00 0.00 / 72.00
2.00 / 2.06

I attached my wife's transfer credit/evaluation worksheet and I also attached a sample degree plan comparing WGU, COSC, ECE, and TESU credit hours earned/needed with individual and total costs.  Please provide feedback or a better degree spreadsheet template.

Education Seeker

(06-25-2019, 01:02 PM)quigongene Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 12:49 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: Is Fundamentals of Cyber Security hard for non-IT Professionals?

I would run through all three TEEX cybersecurity courses to get a gauge on your question.

Hi Quigongene,

I looked at the TEEX website and also googled the TEEX Cybersecurity classes.  It looks like one of the following classes are recommended.

Cybersecurity 101 (Security for everyone) is Cyber Law / Cyber Ethics / Info Security for Everyone

Cybersecurity 201 (Cybersecurity for IT professionals) is Network Assurance / Digital Forensics / Info Security Basics / Secure Software

My wife is *not* an IT person.  Do you think the Cybersecurity 101 class would be adequate preparation for the DSST exam?

Thanks

EducationSeeker

(06-25-2019, 01:02 PM)quigongene Wrote:

Quigongene...sorry I forgot to post what I think are all 3 recommended TEEX Cyber Security classes. Are the correct and sufficient for the DSST Cyber Security exam?

Cybersecurity 101 (Security for everyone) is Cyber Law / Cyber Ethics / Info Security for Everyone
Cybersecurity 201 (Cybersecurity for IT professionals) is Network Assurance / Digital Forensics / Info Security Basics / Secure Software
Cybersecurity 301 (Cybersecurity for business professionals) is Cyber Incident Analysis / Disaster Recovery / Info Risk Mgmt

Education Seeker

Attached Files
.xlsx   Sample Degree Plan 6-25-19.xlsx (Size: 24.71 KB / Downloads: 8)
.docx   Thomas Edison State University Credit Evaluation June 2019.docx (Size: 135.57 KB / Downloads: 7)
(06-21-2019, 12:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
dfrecore Wrote:WGU is normally fast to do evals, and they take NA credit - but they don't have a BALS/BSLS.  So she'd have to go business degree.

Since you mentioned a BALS or Business - I would recommend WGU as they will accept NA credits and because of cost.
1) University status   2) Larger Alumni Network   3) ACBSP accreditation   4) Cost - if your wife can complete in 1 term.
5) Like Excelsior - Some of your wife's NA credits can be transferred over and "salvaged".  

I suggest getting all the FREE credits from CLEP then the FREE ACE/NCCRS credits and lastly the SL/Study.com courses.
See link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid290602

Bjcheung77

My wife just got the transfer evaluation back from WGU for their Bachelor of Business program. Not pretty.  She got 12 credits from the prior colleges she would attend so she would still have to complete 108 credit hours out of 120.  Basically, she is starting over again. This is pretty discouraging.

I have attached the credit evaluation, but, I think this would really knock this out of the running.

EducationSeeker

Attached Files
.pdf   WGU Transcript_Evaluation_Results.pdf (Size: 35.3 KB / Downloads: 13)
(06-25-2019, 03:24 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote:
(06-21-2019, 12:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
dfrecore Wrote:WGU is normally fast to do evals, and they take NA credit - but they don't have a BALS/BSLS.  So she'd have to go business degree.

Since you mentioned a BALS or Business - I would recommend WGU as they will accept NA credits and because of cost.
1) University status   2) Larger Alumni Network   3) ACBSP accreditation   4) Cost - if your wife can complete in 1 term.
5) Like Excelsior - Some of your wife's NA credits can be transferred over and "salvaged".  

I suggest getting all the FREE credits from CLEP then the FREE ACE/NCCRS credits and lastly the SL/Study.com courses.
See link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid290602

Bjcheung77

My wife just got the transfer evaluation back from WGU for their Bachelor of Business program. Not pretty.  She got 12 credits from the prior colleges she would attend so she would still have to complete 108 credit hours out of 120.  Basically, she is starting over again. This is pretty discouraging.

I have attached the credit evaluation, but, I think this would really knock this out of the running.

EducationSeeker

You are comparing apples-to-oranges.  You can't say that a TESU BALS and a WGU BS in Marketing Management are in any way remotely related to each other. OF COURSE WGU isn't going to give you a bunch of credits, because you didn't take any applicable courses!

The other thing to keep in mind is that WGU is about 75% major and 25% Gen Ed.  That's preferable to me, I'd much rather take courses in my major than GE's, and if I was starting from scratch, that's where I'd go.  For The Big 3, depending on the major, it's more like 50/50 or even 25% major/75% GE/Free Electives.  And that's where I'd go for a BALS/BSLS if I had bunch of credits to try to fit into a degree.

If your wife works in marketing and is trying to get a promotion, a degree in Marketing Management is about 100x more applicable and worthwhile than a BALS.  On the other hand, if she just wants "a degree", then by all means, go with the fastest/cheapest route.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Quigongene...sorry I forgot to post what I think are all 3 recommended TEEX Cyber Security classes. Are the correct and sufficient for the DSST Cyber Security exam?

Cybersecurity 301 (Cybersecurity for business professionals) is Cyber Incident Analysis / Disaster Recovery / Info Risk Mgmt

Education Seeker
[/quote]

Yes, those are the three I would recommend. Cybersecurity isn't a walk in the park for even a seasoned professional, but those three should cover enough to pass a DSST.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(06-20-2019, 12:52 AM)OEducationSeeker Wrote: I am first time poster and have greatly appreciated all the valuable information so please be patient with me.

I am encouraging my wife to potentially return to get her Bachelor's in Liberal Arts or Business after 20+ years.  The key is we are paying out of pocket and do not want to use student loans.  She applied to COSC, TESU, WGU, and Excelsior.  We received the credit evaluation/advising worksheet for each institution aside from WGU and hope to receive this one soon.  We are leaning towards Excelsior as they seem to be the only Big 3 school to accept Nationally Accredited credits and she has credits from a state university and 2 year Art School that ACCSC/CHEA accredited. They are awarding her about 57 credits total.

I have the following questions:

1) If I am seeking help with specific degree plans for COSC, TESU, WGU, and Excelsior, what is the protocol to post her specific courses that will be awarded credit at each university and what courses you recommend?  I put together a spreadsheet on targeted courses for her to finish, but, want to get confirmation on the quickest and least expensive route?  Should I attach the spreadsheet or post it in the body of the thread?

2) Can you please recommend sources of UL credit at Excelsior?  After reading other posts, it sounds like Excelsior will not award much ACE/NCCRS credit for taking courses on Study.com or Saylor that are considered UL?  It looks like the HIS 306 Civil War Era is the only ACE/NCCRS course that Excelsior recognizes? It sounds like Study.com or Saylor Academy is a good place to register for the course, but, I am required in most cases to take the corresponding CBE UExcel or DSST option?  Obviously, the $50-200 month Study.com or free Saylor course is a lot more cost effective than a DSST (Cost = $85 fee + $25 Pearson Vue fee) at $110 or UExcel ($110 for most 3 hour courses +$20 technology fee + $62.83 Pearson test fee) $192.83 cost per exam? Are there cheaper ways to earn UL credits at Excelsior?

3) Are TECEP exams the only CBE exam that can taken via ProctorU at home for a fee of $250 (3 cr hrs @ $75 each plus $25 proctor fee)?

4) TESU and COSC have awarded her 41 and 35 transfer credits respectively. It seems like COSC is typically the least expensive option.  

5) It seems logical to choose the BS Liberal Studies programs that awards the most transfer credit and costs the least.  So far, the tuition amount seems to be around $4440.

Thanks,

EducationSeeker
Excelsior does award UL credit for study.com courses.   They follow the ace recommendation.   On each study.com course read the course syllabus.   Near the bottom will be a credit recommendation.   My advisor from Excelsior was almost no help with this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 192 8 hours ago
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Degree Planning Advice For Research (Upper Level) Credit Dnightowl 4 490 01-30-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 916 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,536 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,612 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Overwhelmed with info but excited to start my BA- just a few questions hexclep 12 1,320 08-24-2023, 12:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  List of Sophia Classes that count as UL Credit Niketay 2 1,041 07-07-2023, 11:05 AM
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,259 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,145 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,320 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree