Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior and its Advisors
I spoke with EC advisors several times throughout the process and I NEVER had an issue. To the contrary, I always thought that they were overly-helpful and went out of their way to point out options that I may not have considered. Don't let this one bad experience sway you from EC...they are top-notch when it comes to professionalism...
Excelsior BS - General Business - 2008
Jacksonville State University - MBA - 2010(Done)

121 credits...ALL DONE BABY!!!

54 credits transferred in from prior college
54 credits by examination
6 credits from community college
3 credits from CSU-Pueblo (Operations Management)
4 credits for Information Literacy and Business Strategy from Excelsior

CLEP:
Principles of Macroeconomics (64)
Principles of Microeconomics (61)
Principles of Marketing (66)
Principles of Management (72)
Info Systems and Comp Applications (57)
Introductory Business Law (65)
Social Sciences & History (61)
DSST:
Principles of Supervision (58)
Principles of Statistics (67)
Introduction to Computing (60)
Principles of Financial Accounting (56)
Principles of Finance (55)
Money and Banking (52)
Ethics in America (66)
Management Information Systems (58)
ECE:
Ethics: Theory and Practice (B)
Organizational Behavior ©

GMAT: 600
Wow! thanx for the heads up! I was planning on going to EC. Darn I have look for a new college for my BS. :mad: . I am 10 credits away from my HR AS.
Passed:

DSSTs
Here's to Your Health-LL 3, Lifespan Dev.-LL 3,Principles of Public Speaking-LL 3

CLEPs
College Comp Modular-LL 3 01-Jul-10, Freshman Comp-LL 6, College Math-LL 6, Humanities-LL 6, Information Systems & Computer Applications-LL 3

Human Resource Mgmt A.A. (CCAF):patriot:
General Studies B.S. AMU (Currently working on)banghead
I'm finishing my degree right now with Excelsior and I think that for military students they are definitely the best choice. Your military experience and credits go a long way with EC and you can transfer all of your CLEPs and DSSTs. I highly recommend the school for military students.
B.S. Liberal Studies Excelsior College
graduated Cum Laude
321 total SH of college credit
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
current goal: Pass 4 of the actuarial science exams and become an actuary
Retired Intelligence Officer (21 years, 6 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan)

I don't mean to scare you away from EC, since there are many good things about it: they are credited and allow you to transfer a great amount of credits.

What I meant by sharing my experience is for others to avoid such situations. It happened to me, and I am sure it was some kind of miscommunication along the way. Like I said, just do your best to communicate with the advisors and gather as much information as possible when you have to consult about a certain option. For example, this forum is a great place for that, I would have NEVER found out about lot of options if I had not read this forum. Reading what everybody has shared here about CLEP, DANTES, and other resources and tests available, is what has helped me towards reaching my goal in an incredible short time. But if you don't do your homework, you might end up taking unnecessary courses or tests, or taking a harder and longer route when other options are available. Just do your home work and you will be find. Cool

------------------------------------
Excelsior BS - Business, Cum Laude

120/120 Credits
(106 traditional credits, 63 transferred)

Month, Subject, credits, grade:
May, Intro to World Religions, 3, 66
June, MIS, 3, 51
July, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 3, 60
July, Fundamentals of Counseling, 3, 55
July, Intro to Business Law, 3, 56
Aug, Business Law II, 3, 60
Sept, Intro Psychology, 3, 71
Oct, ECE Business Ethics, 3, B
Nov., ECE Organizational Behavior, 3, A
Courses:
PF, English Composition, 3, 88 (Jul-Sept.)
EC: Bus. Strategy, 3, A (Jul.-Oct.)
PF: Principles of Finance, 3, 95 (Oct-Nov.)
-----------------------------
NEXT/PENDING (my goal is to finish by Nov. 2008)

NONE! Mission completed! Big Grin

Total Undergraduate SH = 162
Jorai, I want say thank you for sharing your experience with us here. I totally agree about the part of researching your query before contacting the advising team. I find it's always helpful when you provide adequate information to the advisors but I do believe that they could've provided you with better service to such a request (it seems that Michael did a far better job than your advisor's in explaining the situation and the possible solution to it)

My experience is similar to Michael and Ben's, a very positive one. I also agree with Michael, Christine Foley is just awesome. She was always a great help, even when approached with complex situations/options (we should start a nomination thread in her name).

I've only had one exam with TESC, but I did have to do a decent amount of coordination with the college and I can tell you my experience wasn't very positive. Of course it wasn't all bad, I did come across some very nice and helpful people but my overall impression is that many TESC employees are simply overworked and do not have adequate time to take care of the issues at hand. Many of my emails were misread as I often received incorrect or incomplete replies. It's as if there's this rush to complete a task and move to the next one. Other times, I simply received no replies. Things went a lot better over the phone (I've heard the same from others). When I was done I was thinking I'm glad this is over. I've never had such struggles with Excelsior. Maybe you get better service when you're enrolled, I don't know.
Excelsior BSB - MIS concentration (119 credits in the bank)
gus Wrote:Maybe you get better service when you're enrolled, I don't know.

Nope, they're like that when you're enrolled too Big Grin I've had some really great experiences with people, but overall they're a huge pain to deal with. I've gotten incorrect information, people who skip over emails and/or answer them incorrectly, I'm currently dealing with a mentor who won't return calls and emails about an incorrect grade and the semester ends today, etc. I chose the school because they took all my credits and had the major I wanted with an easier way to complete it than COSC or EC, but I wouldn't really recommend the school to others.

Unless you're Type A (like me) and stay on people, you'll have a difficult time there. And honestly, I get the impression that it's because they're simply overworked, too. They don't have enough employees.

It was a "check the box" degree for me and a necessary evil to further my education and my planned teaching career, but I can honestly say I have not enjoyed going to this school in the slightest. In fact, I'm not really pleased that I spent my money there, but life goes on.
I'm done!
B.A. English, TESC, completed December 2008

Tests passed: A/I Lit-73, Mgmt-71, Amer Lit-73, Tech Writing-64, Criminal Justice-56, Here's to Your Health-65, Law Enforcement-60
I have also had great services from the advisors especially CAF. SP has aslo been very helpful. My conferral is on 10/17 and all I can say is that" EC has a competitive advantage of speed." EC values precise,fact-oriented, and persistant communications, and so a prospective or a continuing student should embrace these as such.
However, there is one thing I do hope to find a solution to. I saw somewhere on a thread that PF courses are a pass/fail at EC.I really dont know how true this statement is but my PF courses appeared on my status report with a letter grade has pulled down my gpa.
Because I " thought" the PF courses were just a pass/fail , I just learnt to pass them and this has thought me another lesson..............
what patsgirl1 and gus just wrote is so true, I had to deal with both schools TESC and Excelsior and trust me the service provided by excelsior in every department is way better than TESC, I wish TESC can improve that one day, its hard to explain but looks like every time you deal with TESC , even though every time it is a different problem involving different people, unfortunately it always ends up being the same disappointing/frustrating experience.. my suggestion for TESC is to hire people from different background, looks like all their employee (atleast the majority I had to deal with) regardless of the department, are from the same sociocultural background.
I did a lot of research and EC sounds like it would be the best for me. I am in the military and they seem military friendly. :confused:
Passed:

DSSTs
Here's to Your Health-LL 3, Lifespan Dev.-LL 3,Principles of Public Speaking-LL 3

CLEPs
College Comp Modular-LL 3 01-Jul-10, Freshman Comp-LL 6, College Math-LL 6, Humanities-LL 6, Information Systems & Computer Applications-LL 3

Human Resource Mgmt A.A. (CCAF):patriot:
General Studies B.S. AMU (Currently working on)banghead
Burnie Girl

I am in the military as well and have taken a number of online courses with Excelsior. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the college. My online courses seem to always have about 15 people and the majority of them are fellow members of the Armed Forces.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,135 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,858 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,265 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 944 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,241 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,749 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,202 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,341 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 1,815 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn