Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior math -need recs for a non-math person
Any recommendations on a math course for someone who has issues retaining math knowledge and is pretty math-phobic.

This is for the BA in Lib Arts from Excelsior

I did mine a million years ago through Aleks...does anyone know if they still take that?
I think they still accept ALEKS, but that's no longer the easiest option. I think the CSM Learn course works. Or, failing that, take College Algebra from Sophia. It'll be way easier/quicker than ALEKS and is pretty easy - even for those who are math phobic. Intro to College Math at Sophia might also work.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I believe that Excelsior will accept the CSM Learn course. If so, I *highly* recommend it. I'm a total math phobe and was able to get through the CSMLearn course with little problem in a weekend of concentrated effort. Learned a lot also.

But confirm with Excelsior that they'll accept it as a math credit. I ran into an issue where they wouldn't accept mine simply because I'd taken it before they signed the credit acceptance agreement with CSMLearn. Even though it was the exact same course, and somebody from CSMLearn even contracted them to try to fix it, they wouldn't budge. And COSC accepts it (or used to), but not as a math credit, which sort of defeats the point. But I believe this is only a problem for folks who took it before the agreement.

Outside of CSM, I know some folks have had luck with a business mathematics course, but again, check with Excelsior and get something in writing before you take the course.
I would send everything you have to Excelsior and see if they'll accept the ALEKS courses you've taken, as long as it was completed when they had ACE recommendation for credit and they accepted it at that certain date, you should be good. Failing that, as mentioned, I would also suggest the Sophia.org option, you can email your academic advisors just to verify that it's accepted.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
They will accept ALEKS, and for $20 it's a good option (although not the easiest option).

As others have said, CSM Learn should work.

And here's what it says on Sophia's page: Introduction to College Mathematics >> MAT 101 Math for Everyday Life 3
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you everyone!

This makes three of us in our home that have done degrees this way Smile I feel like you all should get paid!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 409 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 938 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,585 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,648 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,318 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,078 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,738 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,256 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,313 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az