Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excited to be studying for CLEPs again!
I'm very excited to be studying for my Natural Science/Math degree number 2 from TESC.
I have the REA Nat Sci book and Biology book and am reading the nat sci book first and running through the speedyprep.com questions. I have at least 8 hours of studying into this test already and its starting to sink in. I haven't taken a science class since 1998 so this material is in my head but very foggy.

I think I'm going to do nat sci for 6 cr, biology for 6cr and we will see what I do after that. I might take the TESC 6cr upper level science class and then 6 more credits to complete the minimum 24cr additional credit requirement.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:I'm very excited to be studying for my Natural Science/Math degree number 2 from TESC.
I have the REA Nat Sci book and Biology book and am reading the nat sci book first and running through the speedyprep.com questions. I have at least 8 hours of studying into this test already and its starting to sink in. I haven't taken a science class since 1998 so this material is in my head but very foggy.

I think I'm going to do nat sci for 6 cr, biology for 6cr and we will see what I do after that. I might take the TESC 6cr upper level science class and then 6 more credits to complete the minimum 24cr additional credit requirement.

Congrats on the second program!!! Just a few thoughts come to mind -

Talk to an adviser/registrar to make sure you are clear on the area in which the 24 credits are required. If the NEW credits are required in the area of concentration the bio clep will be of no use as you are allowed only 6 100 level credits in this area.

Also, since you are actually a 2010-2011 (?) enrolled student and you've already switched over to the new program prior to the 2011 catalog effective date (I think its July but don't quote me) check if you actually need 18 or 24 new credits since this is a BA degree.

So you could then use:

6 cr TESC global environmental change
3 cr DSST and Humanity: The Race to Save the Planet
6 cr CLEP Natural Sciences

I'm sure you have plenty of 300 level nat sci credit from your CIS coursework so here's a suggestion, you could split the remaining credit needed between SL's Calculus I/II (MAT 200 level) and or the Anatomy & Physiology I/II (BIO 200 level). Or there may be additional computer courses you can add on..PF probably has more offerings.

I'm hoping Linda comes by and will most likely have a better plan of action since this is in her wheelhouse.

Have fun!!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Good luck...I'm sure you'll do great! Confusedeeya:
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
Thanks guys.

I have no idea how the credits will need to shake out since TESC advisors were incapable or unwilling to project that prior to my conferral in June.
I told them my plan and they gave very vague guidance about 24 new credits being needed to go from a BSBA to a BA. I don't even know if those 24 new credits have to be in math or science or if they can come from anywhere. I also don't know how many new credits need to be pumped into the core so we will have to wait until after June 3 to find out.

I am studying Math/Nat sci because there is a good chance that these 6 credits will be useful to me and the broad subject area coverage gets me ready for science related topics.

The worst case scenario might be that I have to take a boat load of courses or that I punt and get a BA social science or BALS. Either way, I will enjoy the learning and testing process again.
Sounds very exciting! I can't wait to here how it goes once the TESC advisors will actually help.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
All I can tell you is that when I signed up for a 2nd BA they told me I needed the new credits to be in my area of concentration. For my NS/Math BA which I enrolled in before the changes the requirement said

BA.Nat.Sci/Math 2005 (33 Sh)

> Complete 33 semester hours in the NaturalSciences/
> Mathematics Concentration. At least three different
> departments/subjects must be included which provide
> for breadth of knowledge in Natural Sciences/Math areas.
> A student must earn at least 12 semester hours in ONE
> subject. A maximum of 18 semester hours can be earned in
> ONE subject area in order to have a balanced inter-
> disciplinary concentration. Courses transferred to Thomas
> Edison State College are equated to the following levels:
> "100", "200"'"300", or "400". A maximum of TWO college-
> level courses equated to the"100" level can be applied
> toward the area of concentration.

and this is what I used

!!Exception
Meets requirement
Semester Hours Completed: 35.00

Src Course # Title S.H. Grd TESC # Notes

3.. BIO111 Human Anat & Phys I...... 4.00 C BIO-211 *CC *TE
3.. BIO112 Hum Ana & Phys II........ 4.00 D BIO-212 *CC *TE
1.. 16104 Gen Chem II.............. 4.00 A CHE-122 *CC *TE
4..CHEM120 Inorgan, Organic B....... 4.00 A CHE-199 *CC *TE
1.. 16211 Organic Chem I........... 5.00 A CHE-341 *CC *TE
1.. 16212 Organic Chem II.......... 5.00 C CHE-342 *CC *TE
2.. ENS-201... Env. & Hum.: Race Save Pl 3.00 CR ENS-201 *NE
2.. ENS-314... Global Environmental Chan 6.00 A

I don't know if that is any help, but it is all I know.

Good Luck Ryoder if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:All I can tell you is that when I signed up for a 2nd BA they told me I needed the new credits to be in my area of concentration.

Linda,

I thought that was the case, you needed new credit in the area of concentration. But how many NEW credits did they say you need for the second BA?

I can't find the information now because the website has updated to the new policy; the BSBA was 24 new credits but I thought the 2nd BA was less?

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I slipped in just under the wire on my 2nd BA in History they changed it last July I think. I need 30 new credits but I do not need 18 300-400 level I am pretty sure the new requirement is only 24 new credits but 18 must be 300-400 level.

here is what it says for me
History Electives (In Progress)
> Complete 18 semester hours of History Department courses
> as electives at levels 200, 300 or 400.
Src Course # Title S.H. Grd TESC # Notes
1.. HIS-351... A History of Vietnam War. 3.00 CR HIS-351 *NE

EDIT: I just noticed this on my most resent Academic eval.

11/30/10 Students who wish to earn a second baccalaureate degree must complete a minimum of 24 additional credits in the area of study/core beyond the date the most recent degree was completed. Courses completed beyond the date all prior degrees were completed will be labeled as"NEW". The College will not award a third baccalaureate degree.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:11/30/10 Students who wish to earn a second baccalaureate degree must complete a minimum of 24 additional credits in the area of study/core beyond the date the most recent degree was completed. Courses completed beyond the date all prior degrees were completed will be labeled as"NEW". The College will not award a third baccalaureate degree.

Okay, so it’s consistent across all degrees BA/BS and BSBA. That's actually very good! And I was probably confusing the 18 UL credits with 24 new credits. Thank you for clarifying, I was so confused! Doesn’t help changes were being made without actual documentation. I found out about changes when (as in your case) a blurb was inserted on my eval during an update.

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
I think i will be in good shape because my concentration was business. And not math or science so most of my existing math and science fell below the degree line anyway. This fallen credits should pop back up and some credits used for info sys like mis should be allowed to satisfy my new requirements. I don't care what they tell me, I will appeal and take the classes or tests I need to get a second degree. I have been forced to slow down on the MBA so I have more time available.

Thanks Linda for the info. Bricabrac i see you are planning on the msast. I am planning on taking two courses from that degree to serve as ul science credit. I hope to pay undergrad tuition rates. Have you started the process of getting undergrad rates for masters courses?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You know you've been studying too much when... rachel83az 4 930 08-31-2020, 11:11 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Perfect Studying Website? DefaultUser 20 3,376 07-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Last Post: adrianeraldo
  Patten Diploma Arrived but am not excited Saharapost 38 3,955 07-17-2016, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Saharapost
  cleps vs reagents mez613 1 826 02-11-2015, 10:18 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Biggest drawback to studying? burbuja0512 17 2,378 03-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  To Really Learn, Quit Studying and Take a Test motuterry 4 1,762 01-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  iphone Apps for studying? greathomes 5 1,894 11-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Last Post: daniellevine
  Today's my last 2 CLEPs beckycan 3 1,455 08-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Comic Relief for those studying Rise and Fall of Soviet Union beckysharp 0 1,832 05-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Last Post: beckysharp