Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experience with TESU: MAT-351 Math Modeling, MAT331 Cal III, MAT301 History of math?
I'm looking to see if I can take more TESU courses/credits to not get a waiver fee tagged on, doing it in 1, followed by capstone in the next semester.

The syllabus of 351 is definitely interesting and I think relevant to what I'd want to do, that said I read this thread that spooked me as it was really hard for this person dropped out.

Are MAT-351 Math Modeling, MAT331 Cal III, MAT301 History of math, PLA, and information literacy generally quite feasible to take on with about 40 hrs of spare time a week?... Or will any of those surprise me in terms of time sink?

I'm thinking I may even try and get a head start taking free courses out there of these topics before I kick off the semester.
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

SOS 110 information literacy is mainly busy work, nothing hard. About 40hrs it took me. 
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Experience

In the Liberal Arts capstone in theory you could write your entire paper before you start the course. That course starts out slow, then towards the end the oral presentation and final paper are due.

History of Math looks like only papers with no projects. Should be straightforward.

MAT-351 Math Modeling has an open-source ebook to DL:
https://milneopentextbooks.org/introduct...x-systems/

Calculus III difficulty depends on how hard how Calculus I & II was for you.

You could try to study ahead of time by reading the books and going through the exercises for MAT-351 and Calculus III. Those 2 courses seem the hardest. 

If you can complete 50% of the course work, then you could apply for an 8-week course extension:
https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/current/...Extensions

(Deciding on biting the bullet and pay the residential waiver vs doing 16 credit term to save $2-3k)
If you did 16 credits over multiple terms you wouldn't pay the residency waiver though it will cost you $3k more versus a flat-term.

Graduating and finishing every course is more important than saving money so make sure you will be able to finish.

Another idea is that if you are worried about Math Modeling at TESU and were going to take it outside a flat-rate term, then maybe consider taking this and Calculus III at SNHU?  Their rate is $960 a course and the terms are 2 months. SNHU is known for easy A's though I would expect the math would be super easy.
https://www.snhu.edu/admission/academic-.../VJnjmVIKe

TESU would have to transfer these SNHU courses correctly so you would need to look into that.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • bluebooger, StudentOLife
Thank you. The experience on info lit was really helpful, are there lots of materials to help us get good scores on the pretest? sounds like that's the bit to do well in to prevent time sink.

I have already look elsewhere for math UL, there's definitely more options and courses that are more aligned to CS. But that means it's be more expensive + have to pay for waiver fee & take two courses (info lit & capstone) from TESU anyways. Agree that finishing is more important, but at some stage money is also a factor since I can go out and learn other topics myself tbh.

Calculus I & II wasn't too hard but I took it at straigherline + learned from Khan so I'm not sure about the quality of instruction comparatively.

I wonder if it'd just be easier to take on college geometry if I want an easy pass, as it seems like things I'd already know/not that different from AP high school geometry. Getting a good enough GPA at least from TESU may be a nice addition.

Extensions are definitely a lifeline.

(05-20-2022, 06:19 PM)LevelUP Wrote: SOS 110 information literacy is mainly busy work, nothing hard. About 40hrs it took me. 
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Experience

In the Liberal Arts capstone in theory you could write your entire paper before you start the course. That course starts out slow, then towards the end the oral presentation and final paper are due.

History of Math looks like only papers with no projects. Should be straightforward.

MAT-351 Math Modeling has an open-source ebook to DL:
https://milneopentextbooks.org/introduct...x-systems/

Calculus III difficulty depends on how hard how Calculus I & II was for you.

You could try to study ahead of time by reading the books and going through the exercises for MAT-351 and Calculus III. Those 2 courses seem the hardest. 

If you can complete 50% of the course work, then you could apply for an 8-week course extension:
https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/current/...Extensions

(Deciding on biting the bullet and pay the residential waiver vs doing 16 credit term to save $2-3k)
If you did 16 credits over multiple terms you wouldn't pay the residency waiver though it will cost you $3k more versus a flat-term.

Graduating and finishing every course is more important than saving money so make sure you will be able to finish.

Another idea is that if you are worried about Math Modeling at TESU and were going to take it outside a flat-rate term, then maybe consider taking this and Calculus III at SNHU?  Their rate is $960 a course and the terms are 2 months. SNHU is known for easy A's though I would expect the math would be super easy.
https://www.snhu.edu/admission/academic-.../VJnjmVIKe

TESU would have to transfer these SNHU courses correctly so you would need to look into that.

My question is how much cost a course extension at TESU?
I'm deciding to take the flat rate to finished my degree, and I am going to take several courses in one term, so I can be prepared in case I need more time to finished one of the courses I'm planning to take.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
236$

https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/fees
You must complete at least 50% of course work
A course extension is $236
https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/fees
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
@StudentOLife, if you've taken StraighterLine Calculus I & II, that's the BEST option for Calculus prep as the courses don't cut corners, you learn as much as a traditional butt-in-seat course in college. These two courses you've taken is the best prep for further Calculus than any other ACE/NCCRS provider I've seen...

@gams007, depending on the courses you are going to take, if at all possible take the 1 term with everything. However, if you're like StudentOLife and taking courses all at the upper level, then I suggest the same step as them, first term for enough credits to remove residency waiver fee, and the second term for corner & capstone.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • StudentOLife
(05-21-2022, 10:32 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @StudentOLife, if you've taken StraighterLine Calculus I & II, that's the BEST option for Calculus prep as the courses don't cut corners, you learn as much as a traditional butt-in-seat course in college.  These two courses you've taken is the best prep for further Calculus than any other ACE/NCCRS provider I've seen...

@gams007, depending on the courses you are going to take, if at all possible take the 1 term with everything.  However, if you're like StudentOLife and taking courses all at the upper level, then I suggest the same step as them, first term for enough credits to remove residency waiver fee, and the second term for corner & capstone.

Amazing, great to know @bjcheung77, i'm moving on to my next struggle on Cal III...!

Btw do you know anything about Coopersmith MAT 303 and MAT 301? I've got a thread here trying to find out if they both can be accepted by TESU as UL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Stretch Degree Plan Help TESU BSBA Sargoththemino 3 67 Today, 12:50 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 13 751 Yesterday, 09:06 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 7 227 04-25-2024, 10:16 AM
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,615 04-23-2024, 02:44 PM
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 638 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 568 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 287 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,337 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 256 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 425 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM