Bad News:
  • The total free points are now 33% instead of 48%
Breakdown Grading Each Section
  • Quizzes (6) 9%
  • Discussion posts (6) 24%
  • Written Assignments (6) 42%
  • Final Project (4 parts) 25%
Current Advise

1.  I would still do the quizzes first and get them out of the way. 

2. For the length of the forum posts, I did around 200 words. For the 2 responses to classmates, I did 2 sentences.

3. Pick a professor using Ratemyprofessors and find a professor known for easy grading and one that is accessible.

Old SOS-110 Course

I started the SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy and wanted to share my experience with you all. With the recent $1000 TESU scholarship, we might have a wave of people taking this course in December 2020.

The way I see it is this course is broken down into different sections.

In order easiest to hardest with writing sections last.

Section 1: Quizzes (5 parts) 10% of your grade
These are super easy, just intro questions for each section of the course. You can retake quizzes as many times as you like, and they ask the exact same question each time. It took me about 1 hour to do them all.

Section 2: Nimble (2 parts) 14% of your grade
This section deals a lot with how to do research papers. You can test out if you score 90% or higher on the pretest. They aren't that bad to go through. Quizzes are easy. Around 3-5hrs to go through each part.

Section 4: MyLab (10 parts) 12% of your grade
This section tests your reading skills, writing, and math skills. You can test out if you score 73% or higher on the pretest for each module. Math is simple and heavy in fractions, with no algebra. Mylab modules can take 3 hours to go through each one, so try not to fail too many on the pretest, or you will end up with A LOT of work to do. Working through some of these modules can be challenging.

Section 5: Discussion posts (6 parts) 12% of your grade
Usually, they give you a page to read, then you respond with a post answering the questions. You also need to make 2 responses to your classmate's posts. I made short 2 sentence responses. Pretty easy points. It takes like 15-30 min to do each one. 

Section 6: Writing (7 parts) 32% of your grade
Most writing assignments are short, like 500 words. A few of the writing assignments go toward the final paper. It takes me a couple of hours or less to do each.

Section 7: Final Paper (1 part) 20% of your grade
1000 words minimum. You should have some of this writing done, drawing from other writing projects you did earlier.

Working ahead makes things easier
It is pretty overwelling when you start this course to see everything you have to do and a calendar packed with all sorts of deadlines. The good news is that you can work ahead and finish up everything ahead of time if you want.

Quizzes/Nimble/MyLab
The quizzes, Nimble, MyLab, you can do ahead of time easily.

Discussion posts and assignments
For the Discussion posts, you can write them all ahead of time, though wait to post till you get near the deadline. For the length of the forum posts, I did around 200 words. For the 2 responses to classmates, I did 2 sentences.

The writing assignments you can do in advance and wait to submit. This may not get graded anyway till the due date, so it wouldn't serve any purpose to turn them in early. To score high on the writing assignments, you need to follow the directions, have enough references and use proper APA formatting

Pick the right professor
I would use ratemyprofessor and find a professor known for easy grading and one that is accessible. Some professors will let you redo assignments if you score low, so don't be afraid to ask.

Wrap up
All in all, 1/2 of the points are easy 100% A, so it's almost impossible to get less than a B in this class. Time management is important. Getting ahead makes things easier and less dealing with annoying deadlines.

There is free Online Tutoring, so you can submit your papers there for a second set of eyes to see before turning them in. Practice using the research tools and get a feel for how to use the Moodle software. 

Total time, I estimate less than 40hour or around 3hr a week on average to do this course.

Anyone planning on taking this course in 1-3 months? 

Attached Files
.pdf   syllabus_SOS-110.pdf (Size: 122.35 KB / Downloads: 122)
.pdf   calendar_SOS-110.pdf (Size: 75.9 KB / Downloads: 108)
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 18 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • akr680, al329, AllThose299s, Arto, ChelR, dbinghamjr, doom, Dorothy44, elenlushk, GizmoJack, ISKBizz15, jch, jsantiagox, NC Coach, Novo, rachel83az, themailbox61, TwinMom
Great info...Thanks!
WGU MBA 2022
WGU BSBA IT Management 2021
I'm done with school for a while. Time to go make some $ now!

I just finished SOS110 with the term that ended just before Thanksgiving. My experience with the course is pretty much what LevelUp described. I was glad to see lots of student participation in the discussion forums and even the mentor participated too (Matthew Hill was quality mentor in my opinion.) Instructions were clearly written. Rubrics easy to follow. Online tutoring available if you wanted outside eyes on paper. I like that the final paper was written in stages using a few previous assignments. I think the course overall will help me in a few weeks to do this all again on larger scale with the capstone paper.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

Great review! I'm planning on taking this in the spring.
Thank you for this review! I just (finally) registered for this class, and have been dreading it for months. This definitely eases my mind a bit :-)
Also, are any of the sections proctored? I may need to borrow a computer as mine often as issues with software compatability with the camera programs.
(12-14-2020, 10:41 PM)ChelR Wrote: Also, are any of the sections proctored? I may need to borrow a computer as mine often as issues with software compatability with the camera programs.

Nothing is proctored and you have 2 attempts to test out of the MyLab.  When you go through each section, you need a 73% score to move on to the next part.  Once you pass all sections, you get a 100% grade for the MyLab part.

The Nimble you can just guess as many times as you want on the same question till you get it right.  Easy 100% grade.

Some tips:
1. To make easy citations, you can use https://www.citationmachine.net/

2. Grammarly chrome extension free version is good enough for SOS-110 or study.com UL courses.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Arto
(11-16-2020, 12:47 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I started the SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy and wanted to share my experience with you all.  With the recent $1000 TESU scholarship, we might have a wave of people taking this course in December 2020.

These are super easy, just intro questions for each section of the course.  You can retake quizzes as many times as you like and they ask the exact same question each time.  Took me like 1 hour to do them all.

This section deals a lot with how to do research papers. You can test out if you score 90% or higher on the pretest.  They aren't that bad to go through.  Quizzes are easy.  Around 3-5hrs to go through each part.

This section tests your reading skills, writing, and math skills. You can test out if you score 73% or higher on the pretest for each module.  Math is simple and is heavy in fractions, no algebra. Mylab modules can take 3 hours to go through each one so try not to fail too many on the pretest or you will end up with A LOT of work to do.  Working through some of these modules can be challenging.

Usually, they give you a page to read, then you respond with a post answering the questions. Pretty easy points, takes like 15-30 min to do each one.  

Most writing assignments are short like 500 words, a few of the writing assignments go towards the final paper.  It is taking me a couple of hours or less to do each one.

1000 words minimum.  You should have some of this writing done drawing from other writing projects you did earlier.

Final Thoughts
It is pretty overwelling when you start this course to see everything you have to do and a calendar packed with all sorts of deadlines.  The good news is that you can work ahead and finish up everything ahead of time if you want.

The Discussion posts you can write them in ahead of time, though wait to post till you get near the deadline.  You will have to wait anyway as part of the requirement is 2 responses to other posters.

The writing assignments you can do in advance and wait to submit.  This may not get graded anyway till the due date so it wouldn't serve any purpose to turn them in early.

All in all, 1/2 of the points are easy 100% A, so even if you fail the writing, you can still average a C in this class.

Time management is important, getting ahead makes things easier and less dealing with annoying deadlines.

There is free Online Tutoring so you can submit your papers there for a second set of eyes to see before turning them in.

Practice using the research tools and get a feel for how to use the Moodle software. 

Total time, I estimate less than 40hour or around 3hr a week on average to do this course.

So I see its an online class , but its self paced?  So is it something that I could get done early if I worked ahead
(12-16-2020, 02:35 PM)rlstrick06 Wrote: So I see its an online class , but its self paced?  So is it something that I could get done early if I worked ahead

The course opens up 100% once you start the course. There are no video lectures, nothing new is added once the course begins.

In theory, you could do be done with the entire course in the first week though you be taking a small gamble that your final paper topic would be approved.

Some professors don't like you turning in writing assignments too early, so you should just hold them back till near the deadline.

So nothing would be stopping you from taking a 2-week cruise during the course, lying on the beach, sipping cocktails, and going on adventures as long as you had 2 minutes of wi-fi once a week to upload your assignments from your smartphone.
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Arto, Dorothy44, jch
(11-16-2020, 12:47 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I started the SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy and wanted to share my experience with you all.  With the recent $1000 TESU scholarship, we might have a wave of people taking this course in December 2020.

These are super easy, just intro questions for each section of the course.  You can retake quizzes as many times as you like and they ask the exact same question each time.  Took me like 1 hour to do them all.

This section deals a lot with how to do research papers. You can test out if you score 90% or higher on the pretest.  They aren't that bad to go through.  Quizzes are easy.  Around 3-5hrs to go through each part.

This section tests your reading skills, writing, and math skills. You can test out if you score 73% or higher on the pretest for each module.  Math is simple and is heavy in fractions, no algebra. Mylab modules can take 3 hours to go through each one so try not to fail too many on the pretest or you will end up with A LOT of work to do.  Working through some of these modules can be challenging.

Usually, they give you a page to read, then you respond with a post answering the questions. Pretty easy points, takes like 15-30 min to do each one.  

Most writing assignments are short like 500 words, a few of the writing assignments go towards the final paper.  It is taking me a couple of hours or less to do each one.

1000 words minimum.  You should have some of this writing done drawing from other writing projects you did earlier.

Final Thoughts
It is pretty overwelling when you start this course to see everything you have to do and a calendar packed with all sorts of deadlines.  The good news is that you can work ahead and finish up everything ahead of time if you want.

The Discussion posts you can write them in ahead of time, though wait to post till you get near the deadline.  You will have to wait anyway as part of the requirement is 2 responses to other posters.

The writing assignments you can do in advance and wait to submit.  This may not get graded anyway till the due date so it wouldn't serve any purpose to turn them in early.

All in all, 1/2 of the points are easy 100% A, so even if you fail the writing, you can still average a C in this class.

Time management is important, getting ahead makes things easier and less dealing with annoying deadlines.

There is free Online Tutoring so you can submit your papers there for a second set of eyes to see before turning them in.

Practice using the research tools and get a feel for how to use the Moodle software. 

This is AWESOME info. I am starting this course on Monday. I already got the link. My only question is... where the hell is MyLab??? it tells me it's on the course page, but I don't see it anywhere? Is it a separate sight I sign up on???

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CIS-351 Software Engineering - Course Experience? Sallym 38 4,327 03-05-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Vin
  SOS 110 Information Literacy discounted through edx Microbachelor MNomadic 45 5,822 01-24-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Recent ProctorU & Network Technology TECEP (CMP-3540) Experience AllThose299s 5 759 11-01-2023, 10:27 PM
  Intro to Critical Reasoning - TESU course Kones 10 720 10-19-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Saylor SE course and transfer as UL experience? evenFair23 9 750 09-26-2023, 05:28 PM
Last Post: evenFair23
  EDx Information Literacy not accepted for Computer Science SOS-110 mt_1994 23 2,187 06-25-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Contradictory Information Given by Admissions mariobros1985 6 700 05-10-2023, 03:53 PM
  Davar CS315 management information systems for tesu? CanICode 1 451 04-18-2023, 06:26 PM
  Anyone willing to share their capstone experience/sample? Amberlinjeanne 9 1,648 12-13-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne
  TESU Advisor Telling me Wrong Information? Captainrekt000 14 1,382 11-06-2022, 10:14 AM